infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL Week 6

infrared41

Week six may be the weakest...ahem...week so far for the best list. There just weren't any truly outstanding match ups, but there were a few pretty good ones. On the other side of the ledger, the worst list had plenty of worthy (unworthy?) candidates. And...we'll be debuting a new feature this week - The Defiant Blowhard Exceptionally Repulsive, God Awful, Nasty GOTW. Place your final wagers and let's play our game. Ignore the pink, and as always, your mileage may vary.

Best:

1. Chiefs - Vikings: My BAFS co-host, Zach/Still MIGHTY, brought up a great point this week. He said "I like Minnesota playing outside." So do I. The Vikings in the sunshine playing one of the best road looks in the NFL was the easy choice for the top spot on the best list.

Chiefs.jpg

2. Ravens - 49ers: Here's a regular season match up we don't see very often - and it looks better than I thought it would. Kudos to the Ravens for resisting the temptation to ruin this game with those awful black pants.

49ers1.jpg

3. Washington - NY Jets: In a better week, the Jets in green pants don't make the best list. But this was a below average week, the sunshine really helped, Washington scored extra points with the striped socks, and we ended up with a pretty good looking game.

Jets1.jpg

4. Patriots - Colts: This year's improvement through attrition team rides a match up against the Colts top five look to make another appearance on the best list. I don't like the Patriots blue pants and the silver pants don't provide enough contrast to work with a white jersey. The Patriots need to ditch the side panels and go all white on the road.

Colts.jpg

5. Bears - Lions: The Lions are the original improvement through attrition team. Thanks to the Browns, the Lions move up another spot on the list of good looking NFL uniforms. As long as they're playing a decent looking opponent, it's tough to keep the Bears off the best list. A wholly unremarkable, but perfectly fine looking game.

Bears.jpg

Thanks for ruining a potentially great match up:

This week's winners: the Philadelphia Eagles. This game should have been on the best list. Instead, we had to endure the Eagles in monochrome black. At night.

Eagles.jpg

Worst:

1. Bengals - Bills: Did both teams get drunk before they decided which uniforms to wear for this one? Did the Bills feel bad for the Bengals or something and decide to dress down for this game? This one didn't have to look this bad. If the Bills had stuck to their normal home uniforms and the Bengals had gone all white, this game isn't on this list. Instead, we got this train wreck. Good Lord, this was one ugly ass game.

Bills.jpg

2. Broncos - Browns: There will be a week when the Browns aren't a part of my little lists - just not this one. Ugly modern uniform meets ugly, outdated modern uniform. Two great color schemes ruined by over design. Both looks are just a few tweaks away from being pretty good.

Browns.jpg

3. Dolphins - TItans: Normally, the Dolphins are too boring to make either list. They just sort of hang around in the lower part of the pack. They don't carry too much blame in this one. This is another game in which we are going to assign contributory negligence. The Titans contributed 73% of the ugly in this one. The Dolphins were good for 27%.

Dolphins.jpg

And finally...

The Defiant Blowhard Exceptionally Repulsive, God Awful, Nasty GOTW:

Broncos - Browns: My guess for the game our favorite contrarian will tell me I'm wrong about.

Browns%205.jpg

Yeah, this is a great looking game, I'm just too stuck in the past to see it. :rolleyes:

That's it for this week. Feel free to post your own best and worst. All I ask is you tell us why you chose the games you did. Thanks for dropping by. We'll do it all again next week.

BB52Big.jpg

Eagles had to ruin a possible top-5 by wearing those silly black costumes. Had they been playing another opponent, I'd've expected that game on the worst list.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My top 3 would have to be:

1-Vikings vs Chiefs: Purple vs Scarlet, Colored pants vs White pants, great contrast and great uniforms. I loved this matchup!

2- Redskins vs Jets: Again, great uniforms and color contrast. This looked like one of the best games of the year... behind Vikings vs Chiefs of course!

3- Ravens vs 49ers: Normally, I hate the Ravens' white pants, but they look really good against the classic Niners.

My bottom 3:

1- Eagles vs Giants: In a regular week, this would make my top 3, but the Eagles in black against the Giants roads looked pretty silly.

2- Falcons vs Saints: Atlanta's outdated Reebok piping and the Saints' outdated polo collar... need I say more? At least the Saints did not ruin it more with the black pants.

3- Panthers vs Seahawks- A Carolina uniform that needs an urgent upgrade against the cluttered Seahawks. This looked like a nineties team played an arena football team.

My "meh" 3-

1- Broncos vs Browns: As far as decisions go, the Browns made a good one with their orange-brown-white look. The Broncos are just an average team in their whites, nothing special.

2- Patriots vs Colts: A beautiful Colts team in blue played a reasonable Pats road. New England just needs a few tweaks to make a great away uniform.

3- Bears vs Lions: This will come as a shocker to most of you. I just feel like the colors were too bland together to look interesting. Honolulu blue and silver vs navy and white did not provide an interesting color pop. I would say this matchup would look better if it was Detroit at Chicago. The only way this would be making it to my top 3 is if the other teams hadn't had worn something as good as they had.

Well, go blast this up then, if you wish. I know a couple of these will not be popular, but we all have opinions!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Have you ever thought of doing this for CFB? I'd totally get behind that.

I thought about it a couple years ago, but there are just too many games to keep track of. Like my esteemed colleague, Ice_Cap pointed out, the worst list alone would practically be a full time job.

BB52Big.jpg

Have you ever thought of doing this for CFB? I'd totally get behind that.

I thought about it a couple years ago, but there are just too many games to keep track of. Like my esteemed colleague, Ice_Cap pointed out, the worst list alone would practically be a full time job.

Why not a group of people, one per conference? I would volunteer to do big xii and sec

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

My top 3 for the week:

1. Vikings-Chiefs: Great colors, great uniforms. The scarlet and purple made for a very striking matchup.
  2. Jets-Redskins: I love the colors, and I'm a huge fan of the yellow pants for Washington. The striping inconsistencies for the Skins and color inconsistencies for the Jets take this down a notch.
  3. Lions-Bears: Two traditional uniform sets. This game only made the list this week because it was a down week around the NFL.

Honorable Mention: Broncos-Browns: I know, I know, neither team has great uniforms. However, I feel like I have to give props to both teams for wearing decent combinations. The Broncos still need more orange in their road uniforms, and we all know the problems with Cleveland's uniforms. Despite those issues, the game did a good job of maintaining color balance, particularly Cleveland. It would be very easy for this game to become orange-heavy, making it too bright to watch. The Browns did a good job of deciding to wear white pants and brown socks, limiting orange to an accent color on both sides. Because of this, the orange stood out pleasantly and wasn't overwhelming to the viewer.

Bottom 3:

1. Bills-Bengals: These two uniform sets are average to me normally. However, both teams chose to wear their worst looking combos, with the Bengals wearing black yoga pants and the Bills wearing all-blue (except for the helmet). This game could've made the best list this week if the Bills wore their normal home uniforms and the Bengals wore white pants and orange socks. Instead, we got an abomination. A plague on both your houses!
  2. Packers-Chargers: Stop it, Green Bay. You have some of the best uniforms in the league, you don't need a throwback or alternate. Stick to the green and gold, which is what you do best. San Diego, stop wearing blue yoga pants, it looks awful and the white pants look infinitely better. Burn the navy pants, please. Again, this matchup could've been good with each team wearing proper combinations.
  3. Titans-Dolphins: I have no strong feelings for the Dolphins uniforms. The Titans are single-handedly the reason why the game ended up on this list. The Titans don't have great uniforms. However, they have the capacity to look good wearing white pants. Instead, they decided to go with the all navy (except for the helmet) monochrome look, complete with yoga pants and a helmet that stands out like a stain under a black-light.

Dishonorable Mention: Eagles-Giants: I don't really have strong opinions on either team's uniforms, but they lean decidedly more toward the negative than the positive. I don't mind the Philly all-blacks as a one-off uniform, although I'm not a big fan of them. I'm also not a fan of the blue at home/red on the road that the Giants have going on.

Honorable Mention: Broncos-Browns: I know, I know, neither team has great uniforms. However, I feel like I have to give props to both teams for wearing decent combinations. The Broncos still need more orange in their road uniforms, and we all know the problems with Cleveland's uniforms. Despite those issues, the game did a good job of maintaining color balance, particularly Cleveland. It would be very easy for this game to become orange-heavy, making it too bright to watch. The Browns did a good job of deciding to wear white pants and brown socks, limiting orange to an accent color on both sides. Because of this, the orange stood out pleasantly and wasn't overwhelming to the viewer.

this^ .Get rid of the awful "browns" on the paint leg and this combo looks so much better...

YVRMUBj.png

this^ .Get rid of the awful "browns" on the paint leg and this combo looks so much better...

That's definitely a step in the right direction. I'd just add make the orange numbers white on the brown jersey and it's a good looking uniform.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived