Oldschoolviking's college football concepts - Golden Gophers added

oldschoolvikings

*Update*

This is an old thread I made a few years ago, dedicated strictly to Big Ten uniforms.  I've decided to re-purpose it into a general thread for all my college football concepts. The first few pages will be just the older B10 uniforms, then I'll combine in a few other older non-B10 stuff, and going forward it will be what ever college concepts I come up with.

IMO the current multi-uniform craze that's been strangling college football for the past 7 or 8 years now, has reached a point of maximum stupidity. At one time, you could argue that it was cool to be one of the teams that pulled off some unexpected out-of-the-box alternate look (I'd probably argue that it was never all that cool, but you could argue it was)... but now? When 4th tier nobody teams hit the field in chrome/matte/charcoal/pattered silliness "Jumped the Shark" doesn't even begin to cover it.

With that in mind, I'm remaking the 14 teams of Big Ten, each in a solid signature look. Each team gets just one home jersey, one road jersey, one helmet, one pair of shoes, one pair of socks, and a maximum of two pairs of pants. IMO if the elements are most clearly what each team should be wearing nothing else is needed.

I also wanted to put each team into a Nike template, the idea being that, if the conference was united in this "one best look" concept, they should also be united in a single template.

With that... here we go!

Indiana isn't a team I have given a lot of thought to in my life, so they were a bit of a challenge. But with the intro a few weeks back of the script helmet logo, I could finally find something to get excited about. I left off the TV numbers because with the sleeve logo and large wordmark, the upper chest was starting to feel a little crowded to me.

indihoo_zpsobsziguj.png

Michigan State doesn't need a ton of reworking IMO, just needs a little of the Nike frosting scraped off.

msu_zpsf03gyraq.png

• Like 2

Nice start here OSV!

OSU: I'm personally a fan of the modernized sleeve stripes and non-black TV numbers, but I can't really argue with the throwback look.

IU: The script on the helmet looks really nice, though it could be shrunk down just a tad.

MSU: I like the subtle Greek pattern that was added this year, but your simpler look works fine.

UofM: Solid look, especially the old school number font. The sleeves are getting a little crowded, so you may want to move the TV numbers to the shoulders, like the Chiefs did.

IU: The script on the helmet looks really nice, though it could be shrunk down just a tad.

I agree... I should rework it, but it took me so long to clean up the best version I could find, when I realized it was a bit big, I was out of energy. I'm sure I will eventually.

More...

Penn State is another B10 team that's somewhat untouchable. I did want to match the helmet stripe on pants, and bring in a NOB.

penst_zpsaspq9iyf.png

Rutgers just needs to reel it back and calm down a bit IMO. The gray is supposed to be a bit darker than tOSU's. Kept their current font.

rut_zpscqnb88i4.png

And as for Maryland, I spent a lot of time trying to get myself happy with their flag motif. But then, I got a look at their recent throwback, went back and researched some of their older looks, and decided to go in a completely different direction. Again, kept the current font.

mrylnd_zpskqjwbfyz.png

• Like 1

Pretty good so far! Couple things I'd change is the Ohio State shoulder numbers and yellow pants on michigan

Change to what?

Match the numbers on the front. That's what I would suggest. It's good for a throwback game but I'm not a fan of having it year round.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah, I know that's the popular opinion, but I love the black TV numbers. I've been advocating that for years, so when they actually pulled it out for the play-off unis I was completely stoked. My main complaint was that they weren't black on the white jersey, too.

So as long as it's my concept, I'm keeping the black TV numbers.

PSU: Looks like Penn State. Not much else to say!

Rutgers: I feel like you could've gone more modern with the striping since you kept the number font. Maybe some tapering? Also not sure about the grey pants.

Maryland: Love it. Only suggestion would be to use their current M logo on the helmet. It looks like you have it on the collar.

Nebraska: I'd stick with block numbers, since both their N logos are block lettering.

Wisconsin: I would've loved to see you change things up here. Maybe 4 vertical stripes on the sleeves to reference Bucky's sweater? Also I'd consider using Aachen for the numbers - Conrad made the Wisconsin-specific version and it has some lighter, more condensed weights.

• Like 1

PSU: Looks like Penn State. Not much else to say!

Rutgers: I feel like you could've gone more modern with the striping since you kept the number font. Maybe some tapering? Also not sure about the grey pants.

Maryland: Love it. Only suggestion would be to use their current M logo on the helmet. It looks like you have it on the collar.

Nebraska: I'd stick with block numbers, since both their N logos are block lettering.

Wisconsin: I would've loved to see you change things up here. Maybe 4 vertical stripes on the sleeves to reference Bucky's sweater? Also I'd consider using Aachen for the numbers - Conrad made the Wisconsin-specific version and it has some lighter, more condensed weights.

I wasn't overjoyed with that Maryland helmet logo, either... let me give it some thought.

When approaching Nebraska and Wisconsin I knew I wanted to keep one in a standard block font, and give the other a (slightly) modern font... could be I should've switched who got what. Again, I'll give it some thought.

OSU: Not a fan of the black numbers, but like you said, it's your concept.

IU: Great way to make Indy look different from OU and Alabama! Love it.

UM: That's how you tweak a traditional look, really liking the white pants.

MSU: Solid look, but the Nike bronze trim has kind of grown on me, something just seems missing.

PSU: Solid and clean.

RU: Another solid look but I think the tops need a bit more grey, maybe an inner trim on the numbers?

UM: A great way to get away from the heavy flag design and keep it clean, but I really miss the old tortoise shell helmets!

UN/UW: Both solid looks, but I agree that the numbers should be flipped, and maybe darken the red on UW

Overall, great designs!

OSU: Love the black numbers, but would suggest different NOB color on white, silver even outlined in black is hard to see against white.

IU: Love the helmet.

UM: Not a whole lot you can do to Michigan. What you did is perfect.

MSU: I miss the Greek key pattern. The jersey feels blank now.

PSU: Can't do too much here. The pants stripe is a good addition.

RU: Without the sword motif, I don't think that font works with the design

UM: The white pants need some red, along with the helmet.

UN: Looks good, maybe add red pants to separate from UW, or do that for UW.

UW: Maybe use their font (Badger Bold) to further separate from UN.

All in all, great designs.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Minnesota and Iowa...

minn_zps7celnsxx.png

I know there are people who feel like Iowa's uniform is untouchable. I agree... it is untouchable... for the Steelers. As for the Hawkeyes, I tried to give them a look that would feel similar to what they currently wear but would be more their own.

iowa_zpsb7mxntdo.png

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like is Maryland has no hint of Terrapins anywhere in the uniform need either the Terrapin shell helmet or the Testudo holding the new M. I like that Iowa is no longer the Pittsburgh Steelers. Rutgers needs to be just Red, white and black. I like Indiana with their trademark IU. Ohio State's TV numbers should be white.