Things that are the way they are... just "because"

nash61

Basketball uniforms being the only ones where the overwhelming standard is to match colors for the jersey and shorts

it is also the standard in baseball, even if teams ruin it with alt jersey tops.

True, but those alts are increasingly becoming the norm, aren't they? I don't follow baseball, so I wasn't sure.

Whereas the only time in NBA history I can think of such an alt would be the Wizards' widely-panned black&gold alt. Then again, the Pacers are set to debut a fauxback alt with mismatching jersey & shorts this season while the Hawks are set to have a regular mix&match look like a college football team.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Hockey every team has a different colored helmet, One form the dark and one for the light, and sometimes alt, except the Gophers men's Hockey team with gold helmets all around, the US Olympic team with Light helmets for the dark uniform, (opposite for the Miracle on Ice ) and high school teams... At least that's what I've noticed.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The football number system. Its so natural to associate QB numbers, skill position numbers, linemen numbers, linebacker numbers, but its so random if you think about it.

Not random at all if you go back to when it was 1st devised 50 was designated the center and work your way outward from there and you have a very nice numbering system.

- how NFL socks require white between the colored part and the player's shoes. This is in the dress code.

- How baseball hats place the logo on the front of the hat, but football helmets usually put the logo on the sides of their headgear.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Cowboys' use of black in their sleeve stripes, and nowhere else.

The Yankees' collection of different NY logo, depending on piece of the uniform

The Dodgers' red number on the front of the jerseys.

Baseball using 6 umpires in the post season, but only 4 during the regular season.

This one always bug me. It is as if, those 162 games don't merit the extra scrutiny or the extra 4 eyes.

To be fair, MLB going from full slates of daily games to a handful of post-season ones, I figure it gives some guys something to do, without hurting anything.

Hockey & basketball head coaches dressing up for work; football & baseball coaches dressing down.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

It's actually for the benefit of referees because of football's position rules. Specifically about linemen/eligible receivers.

As a fan, and someone who became a lifelong football loyalist as a child, the groupings of numbers by position invites and accelerates the learning of an otherwise complicated game and rulebook. I do not like WRs having QB-style numbers FYI. Thanks alot, Keyshawn.....

Well...with teams retiring numbers, 80-89 would become pretty limited after awhile. There are usually more receivers than quarterbacks/kickers on any given team.

At least running and defensive backs have a wide choice (20-49).

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Hockey & basketball head coaches dressing up for work; football & baseball coaches dressing down.

It's funny how I can't picture Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi decked out in full Nike gear and a New Era cap...

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Most of these aren't "just because".

Gray baseball uniforms were due to the old laundry systems and just became tradition.

The umpire thing is mostly due to availability - in the playoffs you have tons of extra umpires available rather than hiring at least 30 more just for the reg season. It's not that those games are more important, it's just that they have additional umpiring bandwidth.

The numbering system has been discussed.

Logos on the front of baseball caps vs side of football helmets is simply due to the shape of the helmet and the amount of relatively flat real estate on the sides and lack of on the front.

The hockey helmet thing is for the referees.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Grey road uniforms in the MLB.

God I hate grey unis in baseball. Just go with a color and make the game more vibrant and less boring.

It may be on the unpopular side, but I completely agree with this. I can't stand the grey away unis in baseball.

God I hate grey unis in baseball. Just go with a color and make the game more vibrant and less boring.

That's what socks and caps are for.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I was thinking today about hockey uniforms, and how with the exception of the Rangers and the Blue Jackets, 94% of the NHL matches the helmets of their dark jerseys with their pants colour.

Why? That's just the way it's always been done. What other examples can you think of, and what exceptions?

Also, how socks almost always match the jersey color, save for the Bruins and Ducks homes.
I still think the Ducks matches the jersey on the homes.

It's a Mighty Ducks-esque look where the sleeve colour and the jersey colour are flipped on the socks. Though it's not a full flip like the Mighty Ducks because it's the exact same as the 07-14 socks, just with orange on the top instead of black.

But it gets weird as the same socks are used with the new third and it matches the sleeve stripes.

IEI5Tg1.png

Ow. That hurt. I've spent 90% of my time outside the Concepts board in the yearly MLB threads, so reading those two comments made my eyes nearly pop out of my head. Wasn't expecting that.

As for my "just becauses"

-What hockey jersey is worn at home and what is on the road. I mostly say this because it was switched and no one seems to have cared or argued about it.

-Three (possibly a fourth on the helmet) different Yankees logos for different applications (which causes great ire when people mix them up and use the wrong logo for the wrong thing.)

-Steelers logo on only one side of the helmet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ow. That hurt. I've spent 90% of my time outside the Concepts board in the yearly MLB threads, so reading those two comments made my eyes nearly pop out of my head. Wasn't expecting that.

As for my "just becauses"

-What hockey jersey is worn at home and what is on the road. I mostly say this because it was switched and no one seems to have cared or argued about it.

-Three (possibly a fourth on the helmet) different Yankees logos for different applications (which causes great ire when people mix them up and use the wrong logo for the wrong thing.)

-Steelers logo on only one side of the helmet.

You haven't paid much attention. The hockey home/road color swap is debated regularly, with strong feelings on both sides. Even all these years later, it still comes up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was thinking today about hockey uniforms, and how with the exception of the Rangers and the Blue Jackets, 94% of the NHL matches the helmets of their dark jerseys with their pants colour.

The Coyotes' home and the Caps' third also don't match.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Cowboys' multiple shades of blue and silver (a dead horse beaten on these boards)

But I love the inconsistencies and enjoy this outlier! Hate the Cowboys, but love their uniforms!

not a random selection. the royal in the uniform was implemented in the 80s (i think) to be a better TV read; meaning the navy looked more like black on TV so brightening the blue solved that. its also the same reason for the selection of silver-green pants to be more of a silver read on TV. how that works exactly, im not sure and of course these things are no longer needed to day for the same reasons. source: former Cowboys CD.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The football number system. Its so natural to associate QB numbers, skill position numbers, linemen numbers, linebacker numbers, but its so random if you think about it.

It's actually for the benefit of referees because of football's position rules. Specifically about linemen/eligible receivers.

As a fan, and someone who became a lifelong football loyalist as a child, the groupings of numbers by position invites and accelerates the learning of an otherwise complicated game and rulebook. I do not like WRs having QB-style numbers FYI. Thanks alot, Keyshawn.....

Gotta disagree, I find it much more appealing when a receiver has a number 10-19 than 80-89.

Let me guess, because you like Larry Fitzgerald?

I like both, but if I was a receiver I'd probably pick something in the 80s.

1.No player names on the New York Yankees' jerseys.

2.Team decals on NHL players' helmets.

3.Mostly black Hockey skates, with white laces.

4.Crappy uniform designs by the idiots at nike.

Now-a-days, I'd say most NHL skates are silver or gray.

Archived