Nike NFL "Color Rush" uniforms?

dcameronh

Did anyone else notice that Cam Newton's shoulder stripe was different than everyone else's?

http://news.sportslogos.net/2015/11/26/pics-panthers-cowboys-in-their-colorrush-uniforms/

Same stripes as the backup QBs and some of the other skill positions (RB/WR/DB). Different jersey cuts. This is nothing new.

yea thats why i don't like the Panthers uniform, those shoulder stripes are different on nearly every player; there's nothing "uniform" about the uniform. im sure it worked better in '95 but not on these modern templates - the TV numbers on the shoulders push the stripes over the shoulder/sleeve seam, where as the Colts wear their TV numbers on the sleeves and it works more consistently.
I don't really like to chalk those issues up to the uniform itself, personally. We're at an age where shoulder stripes of all kinds are going to be obstructed by template styles, no matter which team it is. I remember the early 2000's Vikings roads having the same issue (thanks, Chris Hovan), and I think a lot of people would agree that was still a great uniform, template issues aside. Sometimes* you just have to look past templates and at the idea behind a uniform instead, because from the early 2000's to now to onward, that's just an unavoidable issue that teams like the Panthers shouldn't be penalized for.

*By sometimes, I mean NFL teams sort of "grandfathered" into these templates. I'm not excusing Adidas trash like UCLA's sad debacle :P

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else notice that Cam Newton's shoulder stripe was different than everyone else's?

http://news.sportslogos.net/2015/11/26/pics-panthers-cowboys-in-their-colorrush-uniforms/

Same stripes as the backup QBs and some of the other skill positions (RB/WR/DB). Different jersey cuts. This is nothing new.

yea thats why i don't like the Panthers uniform, those shoulder stripes are different on nearly every player; there's nothing "uniform" about the uniform. im sure it worked better in '95 but not on these modern templates - the TV numbers on the shoulders push the stripes over the shoulder/sleeve seam, where as the Colts wear their TV numbers on the sleeves and it works more consistently.
I don't really like to chalk those issues up to the uniform itself, personally. We're at an age where shoulder stripes of all kinds are going to be obstructed by template styles, no matter which team it is. I remember the early 2000's Vikings roads having the same issue (thanks, Chris Hovan), and I think a lot of people would agree that was still a great uniform, template issues aside. Sometimes* you just have to look past templates and at the idea behind a uniform instead, because from the early 2000's to now to onward, that's just an unavoidable issue that teams like the Panthers shouldn't be penalized for.

*By sometimes, I mean NFL teams sort of "grandfathered" into these templates. I'm not excusing Adidas trash like UCLA's sad debacle :P

While I understand there are practical reasons for the different cuts, but for a league so obsessed with appearances, I'm surprised that the NFL allows things like the striping inconsistencies to exist. To me it just makes the whole group look a like a bunch of slobs that can't find a shirt that fits.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Again though, I think that's a template issue and not a team's uniform issue. I feel the two are separate, and it's important when critiquing uniforms to view the uniform as its intended to be; essentially, look at the idea behind it. If you take issue with something within that, then cool. But faulting a uniform because of a template issue that's outside of what the uniform's idea and intention is isn't giving the uniform a chance, really. Otherwise, we all should've taken issue with uniforms like the Colts' or Vikings' roads years ago; and I don't think many do (or did).

(And I'm not intending to bust any chops haha, just sharing an opinion :))

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The whole concept of mashing existing looks into a newly designed "template" has just never worked for me.. Taking the Panthers for example: it would not be that hard to stop production before attaching the sleeves to the rest of the jersey, cut the angled seams necessary to fit the shoulder stripes, then attach the stripes and sleeves.. Instead, they are forced to use an older template or use a makeshift version of their stripes.. Neither idea works for me in the current NFL that exists.. It's just lazy when Nike refuses to make it work

I was attempting to address that with saying what their current options are, but that's the case in point - Nike's laziness and refusal to create their uniform is likely a primary reason for the Panthers not switching to Nike and their current template.. The jets are another abomination, which could be partially fixed by simply inverting the stripes

The whole concept of mashing existing looks into a newly designed "template" has just never worked for me.. Taking the Panthers for example: it would not be that hard to stop production before attaching the sleeves to the rest of the jersey, cut the angled seams necessary to fit the shoulder stripes, then attach the stripes and sleeves.. Instead, they are forced to use an older template or use a makeshift version of their stripes.. Neither idea works for me in the current NFL that exists.. It's just lazy when Nike refuses to make it work

Nike would have to get specific cut information for each player. As it is, each player makes his own adjustments to the jersey which is why you see shoulder stripes looking like they do. And since you start the season with over 90 players, there's no way Nike can do that for 32 teams.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Funny, teams managed to do it for years. Ripon provided the blanks, and the teams customized to each player's preferences. Worked just fine.

But Nike is more interested in promoting Nike than they are providing the teams with the uniforms. That's long been evident (and I happen to be a huge fan of their soccer work).

But Nike is more interested in promoting Nike than they are providing the teams with the uniforms.

and the NFL is more interested in cashing checks from Nike than they are with any one team's aesthetic.

If the Colts had the option of finding a uniform manufacturer who could actually connect their "UCLA stripes," maybe Nike would work a little harder.

But Nike is more interested in promoting Nike than they are providing the teams with the uniforms.

and the NFL is more interested in cashing checks from Nike than they are with any one team's aesthetic.

If the Colts had the option of finding a uniform manufacturer who could actually connect their "UCLA stripes," maybe Nike would work a little harder.

The Colts cut-off stripes pre-date Nike. They obviously just don't care.

Funny, teams managed to do it for years. Ripon provided the blanks, and the teams customized to each player's preferences. Worked just fine.

But Nike is more interested in promoting Nike than they are providing the teams with the uniforms. That's long been evident (and I happen to be a huge fan of their soccer work).

The big issue with Carolina is the sleeve insert. With a logo on the sleeves and shoulder numbers that sleeve insert takes up more space than the Jets or Colts do. And Carolina still uses the same jersey template from when they entered the league. That's not a Nike issue it's a player preference issue.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Nike already offers the option to Ole Miss and LSU. Apparently Indy prefers what they have.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The big issue with Carolina is the sleeve insert. With a logo on the sleeves and shoulder numbers that sleeve insert takes up more space than the Jets or Colts do. And Carolina still uses the same jersey template from when they entered the league. That's not a Nike issue it's a player preference issue.
True, but there are clear differences in the insert as well as the sleeve itself.. Not to mention, the area needed for logo/number placement wouldn't be affected since the apex of the stripes is roughly of equal width, regardless of which style they choose, so carrying the stripes around like Cam's is merely an issue of widening a seam..

I guess I just feel like Nike could address all this if they wanted to, so NOT doing it is just lazy

hmm I remember the ripon/reebok era being a complete mess of mixed templates and extreme customizations that made quite a few teams look like crap...the nike template has actually standardized many teams' looks and cut down to 3 templates that all share a uniform torso pattern with the only real difference being the sleeve style for positions.

The Colts cut-off stripes pre-date Nike. They obviously just don't care.

Yeah that started in the 80s

474918793-kenneth-sims-of-the-new-englan

Nike already offers the option to Ole Miss and LSU. Apparently Indy prefers what they have.

Two things bother me about that statement:

1. Correct UCLA stripes are an "option," not standard issue.

2. The Colts have the option and say, "Nah, we're good."

Archived