Reviving an old NBA team in Pittsburgh?

fuzznacht

Always wanted an NBA team in Pittsburgh. Messed around and came up with these.

BRBwrbD.pngmo7ky4p.png

Looking back at it, I could make the first one a little more clean. But I don't consider myself a Photoshop guru, so I'm happy with them.

Matt Fassnacht

Aspiring Sports Broadcaster/Writer

Freshman Comm. Arts major

My Website

So I have a couple issues with this. First, I'm not sure if they're both supposed to be primaries or ones an alternate and the other is a primary, but if they go together, the fonts should stay consistent throughout. The main issue is the fact that the second logo is a carbon copy of the Seattle SuperSonics logo, with Pittsburgh replacing Seattle and some colour changes. Ripping off a logo and changing minor details is not a new concept. I tried to provide some real criticism with the fonts, but copying logos can't be ignored.

I understand that, it was meant to just bring the Supersonics back to life in Pittsburgh colors/style rather than create a whole new team. Just was curious to see if any one would like the color scheme/thought.

Welcome to the boards. These look pretty nice to me, particularly the one on the right.

Thank you! I know they're not the cleanest, but I like the one on the right the best as well.

Matt Fassnacht

My Website

Welcome to the CSSLC.Have fun and go crazy.If you need any help,PM me.

As for the concept........

Nice Job.I see for the first logo it looks kinda like the old Kings logo in the 70's.

For the other one,everything is in shape,but not the Pittsburgh font.Too cartoonish.

But then again,welcome to the boards.Have a great time.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

First off, welcome to the boards. This is a great place to grow as a designer.

Second, fair warning: I'm going to be tough here on this submission, tougher than I usually am, because designers grow best with rigorous, but thoughtful and considersate, critique. You deserve a good opportunity to grow from the outset.

On the left:
The baseline of that typeface on top is all over the place, which may fit some applications of the typeface but not this one. Tweak the point size and kerning to get it all nice and even. But even before you do that, the two typefaces clash mightily with each other. And they're both the same size, so there's no visual hierarchy, which is adding to the sense of clashing. The skyline is a bit too detailed to work for smaller applications. The basketball is stretched out.

On the right:
That top typeface doesn't read NBA at all. Or even top-level league. And again, it completely clashes with the other typeface you're using, though at least there's a visual hierarchy. The shape reads like a keystone, for the Keystone State--you can push that a little further to make something distinctly Pittsburgh.

On both:

Is this a what-if, as in, what if the Sonics had moved to Pittsburgh instead of Oklahoma City? That's the only way I can imagine the name working, à la the Utah Jazz. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense for Pittsburgh to choose a name that's associated with a former franchise elsewhere that doesn't have anything to do with their city.

Also, what program are you using? It's quite noticeable on the left-hand logo that the edge is heavily pixelated.

rATMcmK.png

First off, welcome to the boards. This is a great place to grow as a designer.

Second, fair warning: I'm going to be tough here on this submission, tougher than I usually am, because designers grow best with rigorous, but thoughtful and considersate, critique. You deserve a good opportunity to grow from the outset.

On the left:

The baseline of that typeface on top is all over the place, which may fit some applications of the typeface but not this one. Tweak the point size and kerning to get it all nice and even. But even before you do that, the two typefaces clash mightily with each other. And they're both the same size, so there's no visual hierarchy, which is adding to the sense of clashing. The skyline is a bit too detailed to work for smaller applications. The basketball is stretched out.

On the right:

That top typeface doesn't read NBA at all. Or even top-level league. And again, it completely clashes with the other typeface you're using, though at least there's a visual hierarchy. The shape reads like a keystone, for the Keystone State--you can push that a little further to make something distinctly Pittsburgh.

On both:

Is this a what-if, as in, what if the Sonics had moved to Pittsburgh instead of Oklahoma City? That's the only way I can imagine the name working, à la the Utah Jazz. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense for Pittsburgh to choose a name that's associated with a former franchise elsewhere that doesn't have anything to do with their city.

Also, what program are you using? It's quite noticeable on the left-hand logo that the edge is heavily pixelated.

I'm using Photoshop, not sure why the left one is as pixelated as it is. I'm saying what if they moved to Pittsburgh instead of OKC. I know its unrealistic, but I'm not creative enough to think of my own name, and I liked the logo the Supersonics had.

I literally threw this together in 20 minutes to use on NBA 2K on the Xbox... Threw it up on here just to see what people would think. I'm no where near a professional photoshopper (as you can tell), just looking for thoughts.

Matt Fassnacht

My Website

They would look better with matching fonts. Not sure if you are using Windows or Mac OS X, but the left logo would look better with Arial as the font for Pittsburgh (looks the closest to what was used originally and is available on windows) and the right would look better with Calibri (looks close to what was used originally) or Rockwell (comes close to the Font used for SONICS) as the font for Pittsburgh.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

Sometimes pixelation will just show up when lines are at a certain angle, and it could be the stretch on the ball is at just such an angle to look pixelated. Smoothing the ball out into a circle should mostly correct it.

rATMcmK.png

Archived