My Logolympiad patches - Event 6 - Babe Ruth revisions

jdp

I thought I would do OK in the Anniversary Patch event of the Logolympiad. Then I saw Dave Steib. Anyway, I went through several different options for my submission before finally settling on Babe Ruth's 1st homerun.

In retrospect, none of these would have placed well, but I wanted to show them off and get some feedback. Thanks in advance.

My entry: 100th Anniversary of Babe Ruth’s 1st Homerun (thanks to the couple of you who voted for it!)

22285054234_96d34260fa_o.jpg

South Africa Rugby

22489480988_bea43d9c55_o.jpg

Golden Penalty Flag Turns 50

22515648769_6c4a5bb343_o.jpg

"The Tramp" Turns 100

22515648639_7b934f11a4_o.jpg

And, Jack Johnson: I thought this was maybe my best, but then I researched more and my original date source was incorrect--he lost the crown in 1915--so I scrapped this as my entry)

22719784650_75ab76432d_o.jpg

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I did vote for the Babe Ruth patch. I think it would look good as a jersey patch, but I feel it should've had more red on it as it's from when Ruth was with Boston.

My favorite is the penalty flag one. I think it hits on everything. The unique design helps it stand out more than the roundel did, the background is great with the vertical striping to mimic the referee's uniform.

It has been pretty difficult to choose the best designs in several of the events. I think these are thoroughly well done. The 'Tramp' patch could be slapped on Google. The South Africa design looks official.

I really like the Babe Ruth logo. My only tweak would be to make the 'Babe' text more visible. It's fairly obvious who the subject is, but we can't see the majority of the letters.

Untitled-1_zpsjn8inbhy.png

I really like your Babe Ruth illustration.

Here are some thoughts on how to possibly take it further.

- What could be cool is cropping Ruth around the belt and enlarging him so those details in the shading are seen. By doing this, you will also fill in the inner circle eliminating any extra space. You might lose the baseball in the back but that's ok.

- I think the navy blue outline around the logo and illustration might be too harsh in comparison to the subtle colours used in the illustration. Perhaps eliminating the outline around Ruth altogether and changing the outline around the outer circle to a light grey.

- Try an extended font to cover more of the real estate around the circle.

(This next point might be tough to explain without actually mocking it up but i'll try)

- With an extended font and with the cropped and enlarged image of Ruth, you should be able to fit the headline, "100th anniversary of" on the top half of the circle. Then on the bottom half, "Babe Ruth's 1st Homerun.

- I would then maybe put two small ribbons, one on the left and one on the right, (in between the top text and the bottom text) and add the years.

That might be super confusing. But if you like, PM me and I can quickly mockup what I mean.

Great work though man! Love the Jack Johnson patch too.

spacer.png

I think the penalty flag one would easily be the best idea, but it could use a little more. I like that you tried to mimic the NFL Super Bowl 50 idea - but that could be pushed so much further. Overall, your patches are very good, I think your Chaplin render could be a little better. I think you made the right choice by going with the Babe Ruth 1st Home Run. Easily one of the better looking ones in the contest.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

And, OmegaRed, I think I know what you're talking about. I'll give it a shot and see how it comes out.

Thanks again!

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on the revision right now, but I wanted to point out that the blue I used for the Babe Ruth patch is part of the Red Sox color scheme.

I can't believe you even had the time to crank out so many that were so detailed? For what it's worth, I probably would have voted for the Rugby one in a heartbeat.

Of the ones just above this one, I prefer the upper.

rATMcmK.png

I can't believe you even had the time to crank out so many that were so detailed? For what it's worth, I probably would have voted for the Rugby one in a heartbeat.

Of the ones just above this one, I prefer the upper.

I work from home. That helps.

Archived