MLB City/State Uni-Swap Series UPDATE: Dodgers Tweak (12/30)

coco1997

Theres been a distinct lack of MLB-related concepts around this forum lately, and I wanted to do something about that. Loosely inspired by Discrimihaters MLB Rivalry series, I decided to try my hand at a series of concepts that take logos, wordmarks and key design elements from pairs of MLB teams that share a city or state but swap them with one another. The only rule I put forth for myself is that each team must retain its color scheme (for example, I'm not going to make the Yankees blue & orange), however, I may incorporate colors from the team's past if it's for the good of the design. I lack graphic art skills so all my concepts will be hand-drawn. By my count there are currently 19 MLB teams that share a city/state, but because California has five teams, San Diego is the odd man out. I already have most of the series done, but I will be posting one set per day so as to try to get feedback on each one. Ill start off with Ohio.

CLEVELAND INDIANS-CINCINNATI REDS
Indians-Reds-rotated-page-001_zpshprckv8
The Indians are pretty minimalistic. No Wahoo, no navy, no wordmark and very little piping. I used the mid-70s C logo because I prefer it to the block C they wear now. I also gave them a cream uniform because its a look they pull off well. With this set you wouldnt even know the team is called the Indians.

The Reds are more or less based on the 90s Indians. Black replaces navy. For the cap logo I used Mr. Redlegs and lopped off his body to evoke Chief Wahoo. Instead of drop shadows I just added thick outlines to the back numbers. C&C appreciated.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice job, Coco. It is nice to see you try your hand at some concepts after your enthusiasm for my (and others') baseball series. This is an interesting idea, and the ideas and execution are good. The Reds are a great swap for the Indians because Mr. Redlegs shares stylistic resemblances with Chief Wahoo; the smiling visages are quite similar. (Which doesn't bode well for Chief Wahoo, since Mr. Redlegs is a cartoon baseball-head man, and Chief Wahoo is a Native American.)

Anyhow, a few things that you could do that would help this series out are making the numbers on back a realistic size and add a name on back. (Print out a jersey that shows its back (like from the sportslogos.net site) at the same size as your blank templates; make your numbers and name the same size as your print out.) Also, it might be hard to do, but sleeve patches would be a nice touch.

award%20sig.png

Nice job, Coco. It is nice to see you try your hand at some concepts after your enthusiasm for my (and others') baseball series. This is an interesting idea, and the ideas and execution are good. The Reds are a great swap for the Indians because Mr. Redlegs shares stylistic resemblances with Chief Wahoo; the smiling visages are quite similar. (Which doesn't bode well for Chief Wahoo, since Mr. Redlegs is a cartoon baseball-head man, and Chief Wahoo is a Native American.)

Anyhow, a few things that you could do that would help this series out are making the numbers on back a realistic size and add a name on back. (Print out a jersey that shows its back (like from the sportslogos.net site) at the same size as your blank templates; make your numbers and name the same size as your print out.) Also, it might be hard to do, but sleeve patches would be a nice touch.

Thanks for the comments, David.

I decided not to do names on backs because I'm not very good at arched lettering. Many of the teams wouldn't even have names on backs, anyway. You'll know why when you see the uniforms on which they're based.

A few of the teams, but not many, will get sleeve patches.

was that intended?

But no, seriously, nice job coco. The only things I can really think you need to improve on these particular jerseys are the numbers. I understand that they can be big so we can see them, but they don't really bland with their respective uniforms you have created.

NEW YORK YANKEES-NEW YORK METS

Mets-Yankees.2-page-001_zpsvpjrr1rf.jpg

The Mets are fairly straightforward. Since both NY teams share a similar logo, that was an easy starting point. I added red to the Yankees’ color scheme because the Mets are a two-color team. I also based their uniform off the Mets’ racing stripe unis and added a front number. I know this will be sacrilege to many Yankees fans but I wanted to make the uniform as different from the Bombers’ real unis as possible while still having it look distinctly Yankee. C&C appreciated.

PITTSBURGH PIRATES-PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

Pirates-Phillies_zpsiytwxz35.jpg

My Pirates concept is based on the Phillies’ racing stripe uniforms from the ‘70s-80s. I ditched the front numbers because they cluttered up the look too much.

For the Phillies, the only requirements I gave myself were a vest and pillbox cap. I wanted to come up with something they could still feasibly wear today and decided to go back to the old burgundy & powder blue color scheme. C&C appreciated.

I was going to suggest a Phillies-A's switch prior to the Pirates-Phillies one, which are pretty good. The Pirates one looks great, I like the black and yellow racing stripes, but the Phillies one doesn't do anything for me. Its missing something, but I don't know what, maybe its the script, or the colors are a little off. Like I said I don't really know, so do what you will and nice job overall.

29uxdh0.png

What about the Braves and the Red Sox? Since they once shared the same city

I considered this. It depends how the rest of the series goes and what kind of feedback I get.

I was going to suggest a Phillies-A's switch prior to the Pirates-Phillies one, which are pretty good. The Pirates one looks great, I like the black and yellow racing stripes, but the Phillies one doesn't do anything for me. Its missing something, but I don't know what, maybe its the script, or the colors are a little off. Like I said I don't really know, so do what you will and nice job overall.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too satisfied with the Phils, either. It was kind of a mishmash of a couple different ideas. I'll play with the design a bit.

I now present today's set...

CHICAGO WHITE SOX-CHICAGO CUBS

Sox-Cubs_zpssnk0ijrj.jpg

I’ll admit I had the most fun tackling the White Sox and Cubs of any teams in this series. When the Cubs held their season-long Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary celebration in 2014 and wore throwbacks from each decade of the park’s existence, their 1942 set seemed to get the best fan response. My Sox design is based on that set, replacing blue with black and using the curly “C” from the Sox’ short-lived late-80s cap logo. I also dropped the WW2-inspired “Health” patch from the right side of the jersey front so as to not date the uniform.

I considered a couple different ideas for the Cubs (including a set inspired by the Sox’ 1976 softball unis just to be evil) but ultimately settled on a look based on the Sox’ “beach blanket” uniforms from the mid-80s. It wasn’t much of a stretch as the uni already uses Cubs colors. I also put the ‘angry cub’ logo on the cap and made the socks and pants numbers blue. C&C appreciated!

I am greatly enjoying this fun little project. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words.

LOS ANGELES ANGELS-LOS ANGELES DODGERS

Angels-Dodgers_zpsohicupr6.jpg

The two LA teams were easy to approach because both uniforms are fairly simple. I found an Angels script from a licensed t-shirt design online and figured it was fair game. To channel the Dodgers red TV numbers, I gave the Angels yellow front numbers but had to use a red outline as yellow would be near impossible to make out on television. The cap is just a re-colored version of the Dodgers' with an interlocking "LA."

I couldn't find decent "Dodgers" block lettering so I just went with the classic script. Plus, I wanted to use the cursive "D" on the cap but figured it would clash with block lettering on the jersey. Powder blue is used as an accent color as a nod to the Brooklyn Dodgers. C&C appreciated!

OAKLAND ATHLETICS-SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

A%20s-Giants_zpszokdifzm.jpg

As I said in my initial post, the Padres got the short end of the stick with this series because there was no obvious team with which to pair them. The cap logo for the A's is an English Towne Medium "O" to suggest the interlocking "SF" on the Giants' caps. The arched lettering is taken from the wordmark on the A's primary logo roundel. The A's have never worn a non-script "Athletics" wordmark on a jersey, so I had to find lettering that would make sense for them.

For the Giants, I knew I wanted to put them in vests and also make use of their very underrated "G" logo. Combining these elements I came up with something different from what the Giants have ever worn. This may be my single favorite concept in the entire series. I know there are a lot of Giants fans on this forum, so C&C is appreciated!

These all look good, especially the Giants, Angels and Chicago teams. The new O for Oakland is cool as well. My only real complaint lies in that there isn't too much changed in the Dodgers uniforms, but there isn't too much to change and it looks good regardless. I'd say the Cubs is my favorite out of all of them just because of how it has that perfect blend of both sides of Chicago

29uxdh0.png

Really interesting series you got going on here! I find it hard myself to follow some baseball series because I'm really conservative about baseball jerseys, but this one is pretty cool in the conservatism department.

Pretty cool designs all around, and San Francisco actually looks pretty impressive! I also like the detail you put into these, even more because they're hand-drawn.

Can't wait for more!

Archived