MLB City/State Uni-Swap Series UPDATE: Dodgers Tweak (12/30)

coco1997

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

My only real complaint lies in that there isn't too much changed in the Dodgers uniforms, but there isn't too much to change and it looks good regardless.

I thought about giving the Dodgers vests but decided against it. Maybe I'll go back again and try that.

The next set will be posted in the morning.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KANSAS CITY ROYALS-ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Royals-Cardinals_zps3s9jewzh.jpg

There wasn't a whole lot I could do with the Royals and Cards, seeing as how, much like the Angels & Dodgers, their home jerseys are fairly similar. One change I made for the Royals was to replace their current logo with the interlocking "KC" from their KC Athletics days to mimic the Cardinals' "StL" logo. I also added gold trim to the script and to their sock stripes.

I was surprised to read that the Cards have never worn a red jersey, so I gave them one based on the Royals' home alternate. The Cards now have sleeve, pant and placket piping, as well. C&C appreciated!

TORONTO BLUE JAYS-MONTREAL EXPOS

Blue%20Jays-Expos_zps5m2ss6vv.jpg

Surprise! I know the Expos aren't a thing anymore but I love drawing their logo so consider this set more of a "throwback" uni-swap. The Jays' uni is based on the Expos' uniform which had racing stripes, a unique chest logo and that great pinwheel cap design. In retrospect I probably should have put them in pinstripes to differentiate them from my Expos concept but I figured all of those elements combined would make the uni too messy.

The Expos set is based on the Jays' '77-88 home unis which featured the team name and logo on the center of the jersey front. C&C appreciated!

I've enjoyed all of these so far especially the Chicago ones, but I think this one has become my new favorite. Great work, keep it up!

Thanks!

TAMPA BAY RAYS-MIAMI MARLINS

Rays-Marlins_zps18g5ok2p.jpg

The Florida teams presented a challenge because neither of them has been around very long nor have they had what I would call a “classic” uniform. As a result the Rays uni wound up being a ‘combination of eras’ of sorts. I based the Rays set on the Marlins’ ‘03-09 unis and replaced black and teal with dark green and sky blue.

For the Marlins, I looked to the most distinct (if not gaudiest) uniform the Rays ever wore: their inaugural 1998 unis with the rainbow gradient. Thankfully the Marlins’ current primary logo features enough colors (blue, orange, and yellow) that I was able to make the gradient work…kinda. I also added it to the back numbers just for the hell of it. C&C appreciated.

No feedback for the Florida teams, so I'll move onto Texas.

TEXAS RANGERS-HOUSTON ASTROS

rangers-astros.2-page-001_zps1mdopz2a.jp

I knew from the start that I wanted to make a tequila sunrise jersey for the Rangers. However, I had to take some artistic liberty with the colors because, at least to my knowledge, the Rangers have never worn navy. The star on the front of the jersey is a sheriff's badge with rounded tips. I deliberated between making the cap blue or red but ultimately decided blue would look better.

The Houston set is pretty basic, essentially the Rangers current home set with Astros colors. I threw on the Astros' old 4/5 star logo in place of a front number. C&C appreciated.

The Rays are pretty good. You gave them a nice classy look combining the two eras. As for the Marlins, that rainbows looks a lot better than what they have now.

Thanks for the comments!

BALTIMORE ORIOLES-WASHINGTON NATIONALS

Orioles-Nats_zpsjifw5tdn.jpg

I'm kind of bending the rules with this one, seeing as how the Orioles and Nationals technically don’t play in the same state. But I had a really cool idea for what to do with the Orioles and wanted to get it down on paper. The "B" from the Orioles' 'Baltimore' script becomes the primary logo on the cap and jersey. Lots of orange with black relegated to a trim color.

For the Nats, I decided to emphasize navy over red and use the "Nationals" script from that unused home jersey prototype. In case you were wondering what the cap logo is, it's Screech, the Nationals' cap-wearing bald eagle mascot. I'm pretty happy with how this set turned out. C&C appreciated!

These have all been really solid. Good job with the O's and Nats. I really like Screech. Did you consider using one of the Presidents from their famous races?

It had crossed my mind, but once I discovered the Nats had a bald eagle mascot, I figured I'd use it so as to emulate the Orioles' cartoon bird logo.

BOSTON RED SOX-ATLANTA BRAVES

red%20sox-braves.2-page-001_zps856q659k.

Consider this another 'throwback' uni-swap as the Red Sox and Braves used to share a city. I based the Red Sox set off the Braves' mid-'70s uniforms but replaced blue with Irish green and put shamrocks on the sleeves in place of feathers.

The Braves set is based on the Red Sox 1908 uniform which featured a large red sock emblazoned across the chest with "BOSTON" inside it. For some reason my scanner didn't pick it up well but the uniform is supposed to be cream.

And with that, I've posted all the sets I've drawn (so far). Does anyone have any requests?

As usual, C&C appreciated!

Awesome, quality designs have been going on and on about this series! Miami is certainly pretty cool-looking.

As for requests, how about a throwback New York Giants/Brooklyn Dodgers jersey swap?

Thanks for the kind words. I might take you up on that suggestion of a Dodgers-Giants swap. I may also try out a Phillies/Athletics swap, too. I'd love to put the A's in green pinstripes!

In the meantime, I might make a few tweaks to some of the concepts I've already posted to reflect some of the feedback I got.

BROOKLYN DODGERS-NEW YORK GIANTS

dodgers-giants_zpsycoafmee.jpeg

As requested by TheGiantsFan, here are the Brooklyn Dodgers-New York Giants. I had a lot of fun with this one. The Dodgers set is based on the early 1900s Giants unis which had "NY" on the chest. Here, the "NY" is replaced with "BK" as an abbreviation for Brooklyn.

The Giants set is based on the '44 Dodgers' powder blue home/road set with Giants colors. C&C appreciated!

I'm contemplating doing the Phillies/A's next...Aside from that, are there any pairs that would work?

Archived