UMass-Amherst

raysox

So I was googling UMass football to find out why they play at Gillette Stadium, 65 miles away from their campus. Turns out 2 days ago this article was written

Some students at UMass Amherst want the university to change its mascot and seal, which they say are legacies of racism.

The students took part in a nationwide protest to improve conditions for university students. Among the UMass demands are more recruitment of students of color, gender-neutral bathrooms and replacement of the school’s official seal and mascot.

Student organizer Charlotte Kelly says the seal – depicting a Native American holding tools — is offensive.

“We do live in occupied, colonized land,” says Kelly. “This land had been a part of indigenous communities before it became the University of Massachusetts. And for us to be capitalizing and using a Native American figure as our seal seems really hurtful and violent.”

And Kelly says the Minuteman athletic mascot has its own problems related to colonization — and gender.

UMass released a statement saying it welcomes student input and will consider the issues brought up by protesters

So if you didn't know, UMass is the Minutemen. Their seal is a school-colored version of the seal of Massachusetts, which features a Native American.

What do you guys think?

So can we not use Native American imagery in anything? Also, gender nutrual bathrooms, smh.

Not to get too far off topic but you have an issue with gender neutral restrooms? It's partly about inclusion but it's also about one simple fact: everyone uses the bathroom. We all know it and it's kinda dumb to separate people into different rooms that serve the same purpose.

Now getting back on topic, I think it's a pretty dumb argument. The seal isn't mocking natives, it's honoring them as part of the state's past as as for "Minutemen" ... if it's that big of an issue, just use Minutewomen for the women's teams.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

So can we not use Native American imagery in anything? Also, gender nutrual bathrooms, smh.

Not to get too far off topic but you have an issue with gender neutral restrooms? It's partly about inclusion but it's also about one simple fact: everyone uses the bathroom. We all know it and it's kinda dumb to separate people into different rooms that serve the same purpose.

Now getting back on topic, I think it's a pretty dumb argument. The seal isn't mocking natives, it's honoring them as part of the state's past as as for "Minutemen" ... if it's that big of an issue, just use Minutewomen for the women's teams.

I think it's awesome that men are highly discouraged from going into the women's public bathrooms. There's very little upside for sharing public bathrooms. Women don't want men in their space.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Now, sitting behind a keyboard and whining about protesters, that's a noble :censored:in' clause right there.

You the real MVPs.

We should all go confront these protestors and annhilate them. Only then will we be noble.

Hopefully in our quest we can find out the difference between a cause and a clause.

Anyway, anyone who has seen the seal and has 1/20th of a brain knows there is absolutely not a shred of racism present.

The rooms don't serve the same purpose. One room has a ton of urinals, the other a ton of stalls. People with functioning penises and functioning vaginas have different needs when it comes

To lavatories.

I'm not against neutral bathrooms, but then have urinal rooms and stall rooms. Dude needs to take a smash? Cool he can do it with the women and anyone else that needs to sit down.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Men's rooms have both stalls and urinals ... so enlarge the men's room and take off the label. One room catering to one purpose: everyone needs to piss and :censored:.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Men's rooms have both stalls and urinals ... so enlarge the men's room and take off the label. One room catering to one purpose: everyone needs to piss and :censored:.

Except women really don't want men in the stalls next to them.

I've seen it work just fine in England. The beaches have unisex public bathrooms. Thicken the walls, make solid doors and you're fine. Women and men there somehow manage to make it work without any fussing.

Added bonus: problem of too-few women's bathrooms totally avoided.

It's really a non-issue with the smallest bit of construction. But that hasn't stopped some people in this country from blowing it way out of proportion for political ends.

Except women really don't want men in the stalls next to them.

Yeah, but neither do I.

I would like to know what research you have done to be able to state that so adamantly. Seems you're just assuming without any actual evidence.

I actually talk to women rather than making assumptions that if it's good for me, then it's good for them.

Here's a study.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2013/09/13/unisex-toilets-british-women-most-reluctant-share-/

The University of Toronto reduced the number of gender-neutral bathrooms becuase of voyerism:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/06/u-of-t-bathrooms-voyeurism_n_8253970.html

The growing trend towards eliminating "gender-specific" words is a pet peeve of mine (specifically because, as a lifelong Catholic, I grew up with hymnal-publisher Oregon Catholic Press (OCP) changing the lyrics of hymns on a regular basis to be gender-neutral).

Seriously, what's wrong with "Minutemen/Minutewomen"? It is a fitting tribute to America's first soldiers...I think a bigger issue would be LA Tech's women's teams being the condescending "Lady Techsters" while their men's teams have been the "Bulldogs" for the second-longest time of any school (after Yale). And don't even get me started on the various women's teams which retain the "Bulls, Rams, etc." names...

bYhYmxh.png

Archived