habsfan1

UFC Thread

78 posts in this topic

I'll look into it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed on the "Evolution of Punk" series. I binged watched the first three this morning, and the 4th isn't up on Youtube yet. 

 

I still love Punk (I'll be wearing his merch Saturday night) and I wish him all the best.... but boy do I think he's gonna get HOUSED. Maybe he'll get beat so bad he'll come back to WWE. :rolleyes: I can dream, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruce Buffer has a Steve Harvey monent, last night at UFC 205. But it could have been worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stunned. I thought Rousey was actually going to kick ass tonight. Didn't think she would win, but didn't think she would go down so easily. I thought it was going to go the distance, this one, and be a classic. Wonder if she's got enough marketability to give it one more go?

 

Nunes really missed out on a golden opportunity to put over Rousey as one of the best ever, and not a "has been" like she did in her post-fight interview. Always prop up the opponent; it can only make you look even better.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her game plan has always been:

1-Run/charge through  the opponent's punches to get a clinch

2-Judo throw when in a clinch

3-Armbar.

 

She cannot take a punch and Nunez kept her in the pocket.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brass said:

Stunned. I thought Rousey was actually going to kick ass tonight. Didn't think she would win, but didn't think she would go down so easily. I thought it was going to go the distance, this one, and be a classic. Wonder if she's got enough marketability to give it one more go?

 

Nunes really missed out on a golden opportunity to put over Rousey as one of the best ever, and not a "has been" like she did in her post-fight interview. Always prop up the opponent; it can only make you look even better.

 

7 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Her game plan has always been:

1-Run/charge through  the opponent's punches to get a clinch

2-Judo throw when in a clinch

3-Armbar.

 

She cannot take a punch and Nunez kept her in the pocket.

 

Couple things:

 

  1. I heard she got a new coach who's been trying to make her a boxer.  Why in god's name would she get away from her armbar-no-matter-what strat?
  2. In both Nunes/Holm she takes an early shot to the head and poof - match is over. She lost whatever killer instinct she had and simply can't take a punch without falling to pieces.  During Holm fight you could argue she got quasi-concussed and simply lost composure.  That kick was brutal.  In Nunes fight she takes like 4 successive punches to the face and right away you can tell she's not dazed - she's terrified.  
  3. How could she not get a few cupcake warm up fights before this?  I know the money is insane, but wouldn't a traditional fighter take at least 1-2 warm up bouts against lesser opponents to gauge themselves before getting back into the title fray?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go hot and cold with UFC. I watch the big fights -- basically McGregor and Rousey now -- but I don't really like it. The idea is okay, but then they go at it and they're really choking each other and really punching each other int he face.

 

The Rousey fight last night was hard to watch. It wasn't a complete disgrace like the Punk fight, but got into that territory. Rousey was once one of the biggest women athletes on the planet, but she looked totally outclassed and, frankly, unsafe last night. The repeated shots to the face and her running away from them looked less like sport and more like a beatdown. It was unfortunate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of you know me as the Broncos fan who creates concepts, but there is another part of me. I am a HUGE UFC fan. And so I decided I wanted to talk about the UFC with maybe you other UFC fans here on the threads, and get your opinions. So I'll start off with the newly announced news on the rematch between Tim Means vs. Alex Oliveira at UFC Fortaleza. Do you agree with the rematch? Or even the bigger question, do you think that kick/knee was illegal? Let me know below and ask questions and we can talk about it. Thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dfwabel I was aware of that thread, but wanted to start another one. Thanks though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch the UFC sometimes. I tend to watch the free fights on FOX but don't splurge on the PPVs unless it's with a group. My friends are all huge UFC fans though so I have to keep up to understand what they're talking about from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Broncoboy7 said:

@dfwabel I was aware of that thread, but wanted to start another one. Thanks though!

I enjoy following mma as much as any consistent poster, but the level of engagement within that existing thread over the last 13+ months should have been an overall indication to you of the need to start fresh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I watch the UFC sometimes. I tend to watch the free fights on FOX but don't splurge on the PPVs unless it's with a group. My friends are all huge UFC fans though so I have to keep up to understand what they're talking about from time to time.

I'm that way too. Unless I'm like with some friends having a game night or some type of sports night, I buy the PPV's.

25 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

I enjoy following mma as much as any consistent poster, but the level of engagement within that existing thread over the last 13+ months should have been an overall indication to you of the need to start fresh.

And plus the last post was back when Ronda Rousey lost, and I wanted to expand to more talk other than just the big fights, I want to talk about all the fight nights and everything else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, Broncoboy7 said:

And plus the last post was back when Ronda Rousey lost, and I wanted to expand to more talk other than just the big fights, I want to talk about all the fight nights and everything else

The point of that post, which you missed, is that there ISN'T a lot of interest here other than just the big cards, thus the lack of posting since then.

 

To answer your question, 'No'.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The point of that post, which you missed, is that there ISN'T a lot of interest here other than just the big cards, thus the lack of posting since then.

 

To answer your question, 'No'.

So I've noticed. I'm trying my best to help grow the interest if that's at all possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Broncoboy7 said:

So I've noticed. I'm trying my best to help grow the interest if that's at all possible. 

 

You going to be watching the less than stellar UFC 208?

 

Also what's your fight of the night pick for Saturday's Fight Night 104?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

You going to be watching the less than stellar UFC 208?

 

Also what's your fight of the night pick for Saturday's Fight Night 104?

Less than stellar? I think the card is a little better than your description, but an opinion is an opinion. Anyways, yes I am going to be watching it. I've been a fan of Holly Holm for a while now. (Because she's from my former hometown Albuquerque). And my pick for Saturday is Bermudez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty excited for the Fight Night this weekend.  A fight with Korean Zombie is always great, and Alexa Grasso is fighting again.

For FOTN?  Probably KZ vs Bermudez, but Andrade vs Hill should be a war too.

 

Holm vs GDR might be one of most underwhelming PPV headliners in recent memory, but I think it should be an entertaining fight.  I think GDR is gonna give Holm some real trouble and follow a similar gamepath that Shev did to win against her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kaz said:

Pretty excited for the Fight Night this weekend.  A fight with Korean Zombie is always great, and Alexa Grasso is fighting again.

For FOTN?  Probably KZ vs Bermudez, but Andrade vs Hill should be a war too.

 

Holm vs GDR might be one of most underwhelming PPV headliners in recent memory, but I think it should be an entertaining fight.  I think GDR is gonna give Holm some real trouble and follow a similar gamepath that Shev did to win against her.

I agree with you, I agree that any fight with The Zombie is exciting. I've been following Grasso since she first stepped onto the scene of Invicta. I think that if she can get a win this weekend, she can cement herself in a better spot to be a title contender, both her and Herrig are in the running for a shot.

 

I agree with both of those FOTN picks, I'm interested to see how Hill will match up with a ground specialist like Andrade. Hill just needs to strike like she did in Invicta and perform that way, and she can get the win.

 

Underwhelming is a good way to put it. But here's a stat that I found out the other day. De Randamie has only beaten opponents that have not secured a win in the UFC, (Larissa Pacheco and Anna Elmose). Both of those fighters she faced lost their first fights in the UFC, and then haven't fought since. So I think that Holm has the better advantage in this fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now