Worst weather conditions during an event

Graham_Clayton

There is an existing thread for football games that were played during bad weather, but I would like to start a new thread for the worst conditions that have occurred during any sporting event, which can include weather so bad that it forced play to be suspended or abandoned.

To start, here is the storm that stopped played during the England v Australia Test cricket match at the Gabba in Brisbane in November 1998. This video was taken at 3.20 pm during what should have been a fine late spring day - it look like midnight instead!

Lions-Eagles Snow Bowl 2013...it was coming down so hard that they could barely keep the yard lines plowed. In a matter of a half hour or so the field had to have been covered in a foot of snow.

best-pics-from-eagles-lions-snow-game-23

Here's a picture that I think better Illustrates the conditions:

0ap2000000293962_video_cp.jpg

Lions-Eagles Snow Bowl 2013...it was coming down so hard that they could barely keep the yard lines plowed. In a matter of a half hour or so the field had to have been covered in a foot of snow.

best-pics-from-eagles-lions-snow-game-23

Here's a picture that I think better Illustrates the conditions:

0ap2000000293962_video_cp.jpg

I was actually at this game. We got to the complex early, and it was just flurrying. We drank two beers at a bar, walked outside, and there was probably 8" of snow on the ground. When we got into the Linc, I couldn't see the opposite side of the stadium (I was sitting in the endzone). I had a mini-mountain of snow on my hood by halftime. By the 3rd quarter, I was essentially just shaking profusely from how cold I was. That said, it was so much fun, aside from the result of the game.

I was wearing Lions' gear, but the logo was just on the front. The dude next to me had a big ol' lion on the back of his jersey, and he got nailed with quite a few snowballs.

Here's a picture I took from my seat during pre-game. Luckily, it cleared up by halftime, so I could actually see the other end of the field.

1454758_10100658260807178_386665412_n_zp

Edit: We can't not show the Joique Hurdle.

Ba_b5mOCAAA4TUL.jpg

There is an existing thread for football games that were played during bad weather, but I would like to start a new thread for the worst conditions that have occurred during any sporting event, which can include weather so bad that it forced play to be suspended or abandoned.

To start, here is the storm that stopped played during the England v Australia Test cricket match at the Gabba in Brisbane in November 1998. This video was taken at 3.20 pm during what should have been a fine late spring day - it look like midnight instead!

there was a hail storm during an aussie rules game (i think the Brisbane Bears were playing in Melbourne).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

I mean, that mudbowl in Grey Cup 38 (someone fact check that?) in Toronto came to my mind first.

1950_greycup.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox

As for events I've been to, it would probably be that 2013 game in Guelph between Hamilton and Edmonton. The rain came down so hard it hurt.

Speaking of bad weather for Ti-Cat games in Guelph...:

cflol_medium.gif

First Winter Classic video

I can't speak as to how bad it was to play hockey in, but it never snowed too hard. I was at that game.

Edit: The worst weather Sabres game was definitely this below. It was even a Stanley Cup Final game.

I remember that Chiefs game in the rain. One of the first games I remember watching with my dad. They could barely play.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Don't we already have a thread for this?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived