Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

When I was in my early teens, my parents bought me NCAA Football 98 for the computer. I really enjoyed the game, and it was very well-designed for the most part: 100+ schools; full-season play with rankings, major bowl games, and major awards; school fight songs; decent playbooks; something approximating logos on the helmets. It was a very good game for the late 1990s---not as good as the Football Pro series overall, but distinctly collegiate and lots of fun.

Anyway, despite the overall quality, there were two details that I have since learned were wrong. One, LSU by default wears yellow jerseys over white pants at home in that game. Two, Missouri's colors are green and gold in the game instead of black and gold. (Come to think of it, I think the latter was also the case in that college hoops game for the Super Nintendo even earlier.)

I was wondering: have you guys and gals noticed any similar errors in other games? (Incidentally, Football Pro 98 has the Eagles wearing kelly-green-and-gray even though they were in their second season with their current and inferior color scheme.)

The two that first came into mind:

Bears orange pants in Madden 13:

Bears%20orange%20pants_zpsbv8a3laz.jpg

I dont necessarily blame EA on that one, the NFL had the orange pants in the style guide, so they were just following that.

• Like 3

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Not exactly on topic, but this thread just reminded me of the fact that every time I go back and play NCAA Football 14, I wonder how they'd be able to keep up with all the new uniforms in the current climate of college football (if they ever get to make another college football video game). I ended up buying every uniform pack for that game, even though they were sorta overpriced for how few uniforms you got, and I wouldn't want to repeat that in the future.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Weren't the Seahawks pink in Tecmo Bowl?

Not sure, as I haven't played Tecmo Bowl for a long time. However, in Tecmo Super Bowl, the Bills were blue and pink.

The Browns' new uniforms on Madden 16 for the Xbox 360/PS3 are bad:

White jersey: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/98zQO_xBMRM/maxresdefault.jpg

Brown jersey:

Those actually look better than the actual jerseys. Now only if they could've forgot the leg wordmark too...

Edited by DustDevil61
  • Like 6

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I frequent operation sports which is a sports video game page. I run a thread just on the errors for mlb the show. Fan boys always try to throw style guide in my face. I'm not privileged enough for access to it, but there's no way (for example) the Rays faux back hats are all Columbia blue. People run a madden error list as well.

• Like 1
KISSwall09.jpg

MLB The Show has too many errors to count.

Yes. Brewers' throwback alts have a shade of blue that's far too light. The Pirates' overused black alts have the number below(!) the "P" on the chest. Marlins' home BP caps are "ice cream man" style instead of the proper white front panel (which I guess was technically never used, but still). The list goes on.

Another problem is their "need" to limit teams to a certain number of unis, I guess for the sake of making entities like Franchise mode or Road to the Show "easier" in terms of the CPU making uniform matchups for 162 games. In other words, laziness. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

EA Sports NHL 2002 had blue helmets with the Leafs' white third jerseys. Not only was it inaccurate, but being a white jersey, that's kinda the NHL rule.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Yes, Seattle was pink. I don't know if it had anything to do with not being NFL licensed.

Yes, they were, but I think that (plus the use of pink for the Patriots' main color and the Bills' secondary color in Tecmo Super Bowl) was more a function of limitations with 8-bit games and their limited graphics. In the original Tecmo Bowl, the Seahawks' actual colors (blue and grey/silver) were already in use by Dallas. The Cowboys' blue was of course darker than that of the Seahawks at that time, but still, blue and grey versus blue and grey would've been very confusing to the players. Plus I think there were some limitations to how many colors they could accurately portray---the earliest game I ever saw where the Browns wore brown, for example, was Super Play Action Football for the SNES---in the first two Tecmo games, they wore white jerseys over orange pants.

• Like 2