Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

Super Play Action Football for the SNES

Ugh. I tried my best to forget about that game. I don't think completed passes were possible. It's bad when the only good memories from a game are the funny headlines from the newspapers.

"Cheerleader maimed in freak punting accident" was my favorite.

• Like 1

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

EA Sports NHL 2002 had blue helmets with the Leafs' white third jerseys. Not only was it inaccurate, but being a white jersey, that's kinda the NHL rule.

There was a recent NHL game in which the Capitals white jerseys were paired with blue helmets. I'm guessing it was the first year of the current unis, but I'm not positive. I just remember it bothering me.
  • Like 1

The two that first came into mind:

Bears orange pants in Madden 13:

Patriots striping in Madden 15 (silver instead of red):

Patriots%20Madden_zpsqrxzttl2.jpg

The piping was fixed in a patch last year. And the helmet logo was moved higher up the shell (it was way too low in these screenshots). But pretty embarrassing nonetheless.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I know one thing, I was pretty good at Super Play Action. As long as I'm thinking about it, IIRC in a number of the early Madden games, the Bills wore blue pants with their white jerseys despite having dumped them in the mid 80s. IIRC some other road unis used nonexistent pants at the time as well (Eagles in green pants, maybe blue pants for the Giants, I definitely remember the 1980 Falcons being given red pants). The PSX version of Tecmo Super Bowl inexplicably had the Packers wearing green helmets at home (but the normal gold away). In NFL 2K5, the numbers on the Jaguars' whites had a black/gold/black outline, instead of gold/black. Last one I can think of at the moment, in the last few versions of the PS2 Maddens, the Steelers' white jersey stripes lacked any black, and the Patriots' silver and Saints' gold pants lacked their stripes for no apparent reason.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The piping was fixed in a patch last year. And the helmet logo was moved higher up the shell (it was way too low in these screenshots). But pretty embarrassing nonetheless.

The jerseys in reality should have none of that striping at all!

• Like 5

The jerseys in reality should have none of that striping at all!

Amen!

A bit obscure, but in NCAA March Madness 2004, UALR's basketball team wore blue and white. This despite the school colors being maroon and silver, and the game even featuring the accurate midcourt logo at the time (which had no blue whatsoever).

A bit obscure, but in NCAA March Madness 2004, UALR's basketball team wore blue and white. This despite the school colors being maroon and silver, and the game even featuring the accurate midcourt logo at the time (which had no blue whatsoever).

Man, that's bizarre.

Oh man MLB The Show, such an amazing game with so many uniform gripes to complain about. I get "some" things might be influenced by the style guides but I've never understood how so many times The Show has uniforms and uniform elements that never once existed in reality but somehow got into the games.

Idk about MLB 15 The Show (b/c I don't have it), but 14 The Show had a lot of bizarre inaccuracies. For example, the game gave the Rockies' vest alternates purple sleeves.

spacer.png

Oh man MLB The Show, such an amazing game with so many uniform gripes to complain about. I get "some" things might be influenced by the style guides but I've never understood how so many times The Show has uniforms and uniform elements that never once existed in reality but somehow got into the games.

Idk about MLB 15 The Show (b/c I don't have it), but 14 The Show had a lot of bizarre inaccuracies. For example, the game gave the Rockies' vest alternates purple sleeves.

MLB The Show 15 inaccuracies off the top of my head:

- White Sox road pants are the old ones.

- Cubs blue throwbacks don't have names on back.

- Brewers BiG alts aren't in the game.

- Dodgers road alts have piping.

- Giants' black alts are MIA.

- Astros orange hats are MIA.

- Piping on Nats' home uniforms is off.

There's also the inability to select uniforms in Road to the Show. And when you change a team's hats --- I like to have the Nats wear red on the road --- the helmets don't reflect that.

I'm sure there's plenty more I've missed.

There's also the inability to select uniforms in Road to the Show.

1. Rockies' vests with purple sleeves would be sweet.

2. Lack of Brewers' ball-in-glove alts would keep me from wanting to play as or against the Brewers at all.

3. Lack of Astros' orange hats is awful!

4. Inability to select uniforms is bad, although if it's just for a player career mode I can understand that---I don't think Madden allows players to select their uniforms when they're doing that mode either.

2. Lack of Brewers' ball-in-glove alts would keep me from wanting to play as or against the Brewers at all.

4. Inability to select uniforms is bad, although if it's just for a player career mode I can understand that---I don't think Madden allows players to select their uniforms when they're doing that mode either.

- The game has the last version of the BiG but not what the Brewers wear now. Weird.

- The Astros' early 80s orange hats are in the game. I guess the difference is negligible between that and today.

Something I forgot to mention is that anniversary patches stay on throughout franchise and Road to the Show modes. Kind of bugs me.

NCAA Football from 2002 or so until 2005 messed up Illinois' colors. The school had an issue of using multiple shades of orange and blue. One combo which showed up frequently on merchandise was a tangerine orange and a faded navy (close to the shade the Braves use in branding but don't wear on the field). Despite various shades showing up in branding, Illinois had consistently used a dark navy and a bright orange for all athletic teams. For reference, here is the incorrect color scheme which didn't stop showing up on merchandise until two years ago:

7639_illinois_fighting_illini-alternate-

For some reason, EA accurately created Illinois' uniforms with the correct striping and everything. But then they changed the colors to match the colors from the logos, which the university hadn't bothered to correct. It was maddening because clearly somebody looked at the actual uniforms to create them, but decided to change the colors anyway. It would be like if a videogame changed the Lakers jerseys to use the pastel purple from their court. For some reason, when Illinois changed its uniforms to wrap-around Nike crap in 2006, EA started using the correct colors on the uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

- The game has the last version of the BiG but not what the Brewers wear now. Weird.

- The Astros' early 80s orange hats are in the game. I guess the difference is negligible between that and today.

Something I forgot to mention is that anniversary patches stay on throughout franchise and Road to the Show modes. Kind of bugs me.

Anniversary patches stay on in multiple seasons? That would be absolutely maddening to me, worse than anything else mentioned thus far.