2016 MLS Jerseys

labc93

In a sport where stars==championships, I just can't get on board with the stars, even if it's a direct lift from their flag. D.C. United has won 4 MLS Cups, the most of any team until 2014, and they should be proud of that, but now if they want to do anything with that they'll have 7 stars in and around their logo.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for FIFA to introduce a proprietary star for championships. I dont know if that means unique stars for world cups, league championships, Champions League, etc... It could get messy. But one FIFA star that was unique to the sport could alleviate some of the problems when five pointed stars are common in other national/governmental designs.
FIFA does this already with the current champions wearing a badge. They could also do what rugny does and place the years they win somewhere on the jerseys, usually on the sleeve under the trophy.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unrelated to the topic of stars or championship patches, based on the Adidas Catalog for MLS next year, it looks like Chicago could wear blue shorts with a red primary jersey, and Columbus could wear yellow shorts with their black jersey, which is set to become their primary.

Safe to say I'm late in noticing the new MLS logo resembles the New York Rangers logo

144.png

8653__major_league_soccer-primary-2015.p

I mean they're both RWB and have a slash. I mean I can see it but the differences in style keeps me from actually thinking so myself.

Not seeing any resemblance besides the colors man.

a2BRS8U.png

Just gonna use this thread for American soccer and the other soccer kits thread for non-American soccer I guess. The recently rebranded Premier League of America (formerly the Great Lakes Premier League) just unveiled their inaugural logo (a redesign of their old one):

166050_956172971119679_42492489084921858

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

I think someone on the boards did the original of this, and if they did this I'm sorry, but why not do proper stars instead of these? Just hold down "option" when you make a star and all those corners will be right instead of obtuse. Drives me crazy...

Holy :censored: hell.

But don't we have a thread for lower-league soccer?

Not sure if we do. I started a thread for the GLPL last season (summer of this year), but I haven't seen a thread for all lower leagues, let alone for this upcoming year. Might be worth it, considering the NPSL and PDL's new logos both leaked and that this whole national amateur leagues scene might be picking up some steam right now.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

I think someone on the boards did the original of this, and if they did this I'm sorry, but why not do proper stars instead of these? Just hold down "option" when you make a star and all those corners will be right instead of obtuse. Drives me crazy...

Stars shouldn't have right angles. But I think you mean so the the left and right "arms" are straight, right?

I'm in phone, so I can't tell if they're not done well, but I don't mind using different types of stars. They don't all have to be this.

star.gif

Yes I meant "right" as in "correct" (to most people)

Different stars are fine. Fat stars just look wrong and like a mistake. You see those stars on crafts and etsy.

I will say the negative space makes a nice shape. Maybe that was intentional. I still think it'd be better with the regular stars.

The overall work is still strong, just those are a design pet peeve of mine. Like arched/arced italics or cursive text.

Hah, yep that's me. No worries. The "normal" stars looked too thin for me personally, so I went with the fatter ones. Plus, I thought the 5 stars came together better in between in the one that was picked as a final.

I was tweeting this, but the crest is a recolored one of the original because I wanted that lineage. The 5 stars represent the 5 original teams in the league, and the Great Lakes. In case you guys were wondering.

If it was conscious that's much better from a design perspective. I see far too often people just create those stars because that's the default in illustrator so I'm glad that wasn't a part of it.

I still don't like it but I'm glad some thought went into it :)

I saw the symbolism and figured it was the teams or the lakes, so nicely done there!

Archived