2016 MLS Jerseys

labc93

I generally like it. I think the thing that's bothering me is that there's so much empty space between the crest outline and the elements inside.

That's one of the things I like about it. Lends it cleanliness and sophistication.

The more I look at it, the more I think they really could have gone without a bounding crest at all. That LA would look great by itself on the jersey.

Yeah, I actually like it a lot more without the shield.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like it! Save for removing some of the empty space, I personally wouldn't change a thing. I'm a sucker for art deco so of course the monogram looks amazing to me, and the colors are a good choice, heartening back to the golden age of Hollywood. Assuming they go with mostly black for the primary kits, this is going to set up a good looking derby with the all white of the Galaxy.

And hey, guess what? Actual merchandise from MLS! I'm on mobile so I can't share pictures, but I could really use that hat.

http://www.mlsstore.com/search/LAFC//partnerid/14184/source/BM-LosAngelesFootballClub-LAFC-LOGOLAUNCH-Homepage-1716

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

There's a lot of similarities between those 3 teams, like LAFC and AUFC's colors and how they're prioritized or AUFC and MUFC's names, but that's a big reach.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Too early to push for the Saints as the nickname?

I can understand not wanting to adopt Angels as LAFC's nickname, as the Greater Los Angeles market is already home to a Major League Baseball team utilizing the name.

That said, technically speaking, it wouldn't be entirely appropriate to nickname LAFC "the Saints", as angels, saints, and Saints are all distinct entities within the Christian dogma that influenced the naming of El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la dina de los Angeles del Rio de Porciuncula, now the City of Los Angeles, aka "The City of Angels".

Playing off of the traditional take on the nature and role of angels, I'd suggest Seraphs or Guardians as my first tier choices for an LAFC nickname, with Celestials, Heralds, or Spirits as lesser alternatives.

me-nycfc_zpszep7rhh7.jpg

This is exactly how I will picture every NYCFC supporter going forward.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Los Angeles Football Club Angels of Hollywood?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I do believe you are way overthinking that.

I just feel that marrying the Saints nickname to a team representing Los Angeles - "The City of Angels" - muddies the identity. Plus, the Saints nickname paired with a black-and-gold color scheme screams "New Orleans" in the world of North American professional sports. I'd prefer that the team adopt a nickname that's unique on the North American major pro sports scene. If it were me, I'd go with Seraphs or Guardians.

"Angels" would work for me. Yeah, you have the LA Angels baseball team, but I don't think it's unworkable. Nicknames for "FC" teams tend to be more informal anyway. I doubt anyone will actually call them the "Los Angelss Angels" in any formal sense. Just refer to them as the "Angels" here and there.

The "Angels" confusion problem is easily fixed.

Considering this is the former Chivas, they will probably keep courting their Hispanic base.

Naturally, we could Latinize "Angels" like the NBA.

This creates the less confusing, and super original nickname "los Angeles"

You're welcome.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I just feel that marrying the Saints nickname to a team representing Los Angeles - "The City of Angels" - muddies the identity. Plus, the Saints nickname paired with a black-and-gold color scheme screams "New Orleans" in the world of North American professional sports. I'd prefer that the team adopt a nickname that's unique on the North American major pro sports scene. If it were me, I'd go with Seraphs or Guardians.

Avoiding the New Orleans connection is an excellent reason. We don't need to rely on the picayune technicalities of religious doctrine.

I generally like it. I think the thing that's bothering me is that there's so much empty space between the crest outline and the elements inside.

That's one of the things I like about it. Lends it cleanliness and sophistication.

The more I look at it, the more I think they really could have gone without a bounding crest at all. That LA would look great by itself on the jersey.

I don't entirely disagree. Something tells me that the monogram might end up featuring prominently by itself in marketing and merchandising, if for no other reason then it would help set it apart from the Galaxy (shield shape with prominent "LA").

Time will tell, I guess.

Avoiding the New Orleans connection is an excellent reason. We don't need to rely on the picayune technicalities of religious doctrine.

I agree on the overthinking and differentiating from the New Orleans Saints parts.

That said, Guardians does sound pretty cool to me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Avoiding the New Orleans connection is an excellent reason.

Thanks. I'm of the same opinion, which is why I opted to share it.

We don't need to rely on the picayune technicalities of religious doctrine.

We're all free to elect to rely - or, not rely - on whatever technicalities we wish while making a point or sharing an opinion in the CCSLC... provided that we do so in a manner that isn't purposely inflammatory, or that is dismissive of the points and/or opinions of others.

As for my electing to touch upon an aspect of religious dogma in my assessing whether "Saints" - in my opinion - would be an appropriate nickname for the Los Angeles Football Club, I only did so in order to point out that - by most definitions - angels and saints are unique entities. Perhaps I should have simply referenced dictionary entries in making my point. ;)

I can assure you that no proselytizing was implied. :P

In any event, here's hoping that LAFC is a strong addition to Major League Soccer.

Archived