Good logos ruined by bad teams

FirearmofMutiny

and the Vancouver Canucks could just as easily be called the "Orca Whales". So what?

At least with the new logo you know what it is. The old one was what, a ribbon? A ribbon with a hockey stick with a christmas tree topper on it? Why is that happening? What was that thing trying to be?

Besides that the foolishly killed off Kepi Hat secondary logo working in tandem with the primary logo spelled out the whole civil war theme. The new shoulder patch does too, but in a less visually pleasing way IMO. The CJB logo had Stinger doing the heavy lifting and he only further confounded what the hell the team was named after. Even with the misstep to the new cannon shoulder patch it's still a more complete identity.

The second crack at the identity really cleaned up the first crack's swing and miss.

Well the Orca is heavily criticized so not exactly a desirable comparison. I'll agree 'Stinger' was terrible but I really liked that colour scheme. The neon green was attractive and unique and the primary logo is basically the same concept as the current; Flag wrapping around a star to form a letter or letters.

The Hat was great, I have no idea why they killed it off.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jhepegs329pc7ugyypebl28wg.png

I'd be surprised if they ever change out of this logo, even with all the losing in it.

I dont get the love for this logo. It's a generic logo, the "C" is at an odd angle and doesnt really jump out at you. and I've never loved the idea of national/state/city/political subdivision flag incorporated into team logos.

Everything about the Blue Jackets to me has screamed 'Washington Generals" since they got rid of the cartoon bug, which isnt a good logo in and of itself, but at least it was original.

Completely forgot about the Florida Panthers, but with the news that they're changing logos, their current set can fit here. Yeah the current logo reminds me of the run to the Cup Final led by Beezer, but in recent history even the Jackets and Thrashers/Jets have made the playoffs more often than Florida.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Huh? The first association with that logo is The Perfect Season.

For me a great logo ruined by a bad team is the Mariners' first logo,

2901.png

This logo remains the best one that this team has ever had. The S-compass logo is pretty good. The trident M is spectacular.

Totally agree. They didn't start the whole, "it's bad luck to have the trident facing down" until the team was horrible for a number of years. My guess is if the team would have been good and even won a few playoff series' with that logo, it would have remained. Especially considering the horribe logo that replaced it.

6325_seattle_mariners-cap-1987.png

ilya_kovalchuk_2007_03_18.jpg

Unpopular opinion, but this entire identity, to me, was quite strong, except the on-ice performance.

It's actually not such an unpopular opinion. A lot of people really liked that unique look.

The 06-07 team was talented but they couldn't get it together. Also a shame was the absense of interest towards hockey down there in the 404.

I like this logo, but it represents the worst years in Tiger history along with Bobby Higginson and the rest of those cheap-shotting scumbags

zg1re9it8nn8do9vpdt7f2zy3.gif

^ Tigers only actually wore that logo on the field for 3 years from like 95-97, (even though it's still technically an alt team logo to this day). It was long gone from the field before the awful 2003 season.

I always associate it more with Cecil Fielder

s-l500.jpg

The logo was around in the first half of the 2000's. They changed the logo heading into the first half of the '06 season, so it was still there in '03.. I liked it better than their new one.

5gtfjeljv9kf52bdv9otg3fhf.gif

You know what, you're not wrong. Those teams stunk & that logo is still their best... & all it exclaims is losing.

I will disagree on both counts.

First, the Jets made the AFC championship game with this logo. It mainly represents the Sack Exchange.

Second, this logo (as well as the uniforms that went with it) is "ruined" by its inherent inferiority as compared to the team's classic look, not by any association with losing.

490.png

Loved this identity (especially 1991-1992), but it will forever be remembered for 1986...and The Naked Gun.

This logo will indeed be remembered for 1986, and also for 1982. (Two of the three chapters in the heartbreak of Gene Mauch.)

But these were championship teams, not bad teams.

It is also the logo that evokes memories of Nolan Ryan.

So I'd say that this logo, and the wordmark and uniforms that go with it, are not ruined at all. I think that they retain very positive connotations.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

831px-Florida_Marlins.svg.png

Bad management in spite of winning two world series with good rosters. And then they downgraded to an atrocious logo!

Completely disagree. If anything that logo is an example of getting it right the first time and on top of that winning two World Series with it.

831px-Florida_Marlins.svg.png

Bad management in spite of winning two world series with good rosters. And then they downgraded to an atrocious logo!

Completely disagree. If anything that logo is an example of getting it right the first time and on top of that winning two World Series with it.

Agreed, the two World Series trips pretty much cancel out the other seasons that were horrible.

490.png

Loved this identity (especially 1991-1992), but it will forever be remembered for 1986...and The Naked Gun.

Bingo. (Pulls out bingo card.)

Seriously, though, while the logo's great, I never really thought the Angels' unis in this time period were anything special. Too many other navy-and-red teams in baseball that were also using navy for their main hat color: Twins, Braves, Red Sox. The script on the chest was pretty good (esp. 1986-88), but their overall visual identity was too generic and watered-down most of the time. I mean, if you're watching on an '80s TV set, you can't always tell that the A on the front of their jersey has a halo around it. If you're watching from behind the pitcher while they're in the field you might not even be able to tell which team it is. Good logo, good script, but the color scheme and the uniform design both lacked distinction. I think today may be the best they've ever looked overall (admittedly not 100% on that).

Archived