2016 NASCAR Season Thread

LAWeaver

6 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

This accident was a lot worse than the one at Daytona in 2015, so I think they did make the right decision to call the Spring Cup race. Also the Xfinity race; with both having tri-oval crashes heading to the checkered flag.

But the Daytona wreck was coming out of turn 2 with much less time to slow down. This wreck was in the tri oval giving the field an entire lap to slow down versus a corner, and only the winner would have gone through the tri oval again while celebrating. Everyone else would have gone down pit road. 

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, dont care said:

But the Daytona wreck was coming out of turn 2 with much less time to slow down. This wreck was in the tri oval giving the field an entire lap to slow down versus a corner, and only the winner would have gone through the tri oval again while celebrating. Everyone else would have gone down pit road. 

Ehh, they had plenty of time to slow down at Daytona anyways.  Logano ran it full speed through the finish despite the yellow and still had way more than enough time to slow it down.  If I recall, there was a similar finish at Talladega last year where they let them race through.  Frankly, I'm fine with them throwing the flag right away.  I'd hate to see a scenario where they let them race thinking all the cars are going to clear the track and then when one can't, they end up throwing the flag 30 or so seconds after the initial wreck.

However NASCAR decides to do it I can live with, I'd just like to see more consistency with how they call it.  I know they want to try and finish it when they can, but then you end up with controversy or debate every single time.

IUe6Hvh.png

d18a32b1-fcee-4fec-bd83-c0824cc1017e.jpg

(from the JTG-Daughtery website)

AJ's #47 will be turning back the clock this year's Southern 500; all the way back to 1975. In a scheme that honors Bruce Hill, who was the 1975 NSCS Rookie of the Year driving the #47 car.

I think it looks pretty sweet; what do you guys think?

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

2017 Schedule is out!

Sprint Cup:

Changes :Kansas & Talladega swap chase races, Texas goes back to a spring Sunday race & Michigan will go back to Early August

2/18     Daytona International Speedway (Unlimited)
2/19     Daytona International Speedway (Daytona 500 Qualifying)
2/23     Daytona International Speedway (Duel)
2/26     Daytona 500
3/5     Atlanta Motor Speedway
3/12     Las Vegas Motor Speedway
3/19     Phoenix International Raceway
3/26     Auto Club Speedway
4/2     Martinsville Speedway
4/9     Texas Motor Speedway
4/23     Bristol Motor Speedway
4/30     Richmond International Raceway
5/7     Talladega Superspeedway
5/13     Kansas Speedway
5/20     Charlotte Motor Speedway (NASCAR All-Star Race)
5/28     Charlotte Motor Speedway
6/4     Dover International Speedway
6/11     Pocono Raceway
6/18     Michigan International Speedway
6/25     Sonoma Raceway
7/1     Daytona International Speedway
7/8     Kentucky Speedway
7/16     New Hampshire Motor Speedway
7/23     Indianapolis Motor Speedway
7/30     Pocono Raceway
8/6     Watkins Glen International
8/13     Michigan International Speedway
8/19     Bristol Motor Speedway
9/3     Darlington Raceway
9/9     Richmond International Raceway
9/17     Chicagoland Speedway
9/24     New Hampshire Motor Speedway
10/1     Dover International Speedway
10/7     Charlotte Motor Speedway
10/15     Talladega Superspeedway
10/22     Kansas Speedway
10/29     Martinsville Speedway
11/5     Texas Motor Speedway
11/12     Phoenix International Raceway
11/19     Homestead-Miami Speedway

Xfinity:

2/25     Daytona International Speedway
3/4     Atlanta Motor Speedway
3/11     Las Vegas Motor Speedway
3/18     Phoenix International Raceway
3/25     Auto Club Speedway
4/7     Texas Motor Speedway
4/22     Bristol Motor Speedway
4/29     Richmond International Raceway
5/6     Talladega Superspeedway
5/27     Charlotte Motor Speedway
6/3     Dover International Speedway
6/10     Pocono Raceway
6/17     Michigan International Speedway
6/24     Iowa Speedway
6/30     Daytona International Speedway
7/7     Kentucky Speedway
7/15     New Hampshire Motor Speedway
7/22     Indianapolis Motor Speedway
7/29     Iowa Speedway
8/5     Watkins Glen International
8/12     Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
8/18     Bristol Motor Speedway
8/26     Road America
9/2     Darlington Raceway
9/8     Richmond International Raceway
9/16     Chicagoland Speedway
9/23     Kentucky Speedway
9/30     Dover International Speedway
10/6     Charlotte Motor Speedway
10/21     Kansas Speedway
11/4     Texas Motor Speedway
11/11     Phoenix International Raceway
11/18     Homestead-Miami Speedway

Camping World:

2/24     Daytona International Speedway
3/4     Atlanta Motor Speedway
4/1     Martinsville Speedway
5/12     Kansas Speedway
5/19     Charlotte Motor Speedway
6/2     Dover International Speedway
6/9     Texas Motor Speedway
6/17     Gateway Motorsports Park
6/23     Iowa Speedway
7/6     Kentucky Speedway
7/19     Eldora Speedway
7/29     Pocono Raceway
8/12     Michigan International Speedway
8/16     Bristol Motor Speedway
8/27     Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
9/15     Chicagoland Speedway
9/23     New Hampshire Motor Speedway
9/30     Las Vegas Motor Speedway
10/14     Talladega Superspeedway
10/28     Martinsville Speedway
11/3     Texas Motor Speedway
11/10     Phoenix International Raceway
11/17     Homestead-Miami Speedway

baltimoreravens.png

I'm glad the crapshoot second 'Dega race is no longer a cut-down race.  Drivers have been kvetching over this.  NASCAR finally listened, perhaps Brian listened to them during a Drivers' Council meeting he attended? 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Two glaring items to me.

1- First Texas race moving to Sunday makes for bad TV ratings as it is opposite the final round of The Masters.

2- The Pocono races are only seven weeks apart. Isn't it usually eight?

So it seems what was once old is new again in the all star race. Its allegedly a throwback to the early days.

NASCAR SPRINT ALL-STAR RACE FORMAT (MAY 21):
· Segment 1 (50 laps): Field set determined by qualifying, mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires;
· Break 1 (3-5 minutes): Mandatory pit stop with a minimum two-tire change before Segment 2;
· Segment 2 (50 laps): Field set determined by pit-road exit, one mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires before lap 85;
· Break 2 (3-5 minutes): Random draw to decide whether the top nine, 10 or 11 cars must enter pit road for a mandatory four-tire pit stop, pit road closed for all other cars, pit-road exit determines Segment 3 starting order, cars leaving pit road line up behind cars that did not pit;
· Segment 3 (13 laps): Only green-flag laps count (NASCAR Overtime procedures apply).
SPRINT SHOWDOWN FORMAT (MAY 20):
· Segment 1 (20 laps): Field set by practice speed, winner advances to NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race and does not continue in Showdown;
· Segment 2 (20 laps): Field set by pit-road order after mandatory minimum two-tire pit stop, winner advances to NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race and does not continue in Showdown;
· Segment 3 (10 laps): Field set by pit-road order after mandatory minimum two--tire pit stop, winner advances to NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race (NASCAR Overtime rules apply).
ELIGIBILITY:
Drivers who have won a race in the current or preceding year, past NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race winners, past NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champions, Sprint Showdown Segment 1, 2 and last-chance qualifier winners and the Sprint Fan Vote winner are eligible to compete. The final order of the Sprint Fan Vote will fill any remaining spots until the field reaches the minimum of 20 cars. Sprint Fan Vote balloting ends prior to the Sprint Showdown on May 20.

baltimoreravens.png

18 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

So it seems what was once old is new again in the all star race. Its allegedly a throwback to the early days.

NASCAR SPRINT ALL-STAR RACE FORMAT (MAY 21):
· Segment 1 (50 laps): Field set determined by qualifying, mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires;
· Break 1 (3-5 minutes): Mandatory pit stop with a minimum two-tire change before Segment 2;
· Segment 2 (50 laps): Field set determined by pit-road exit, one mandatory green-flag pit stop for a minimum of two tires before lap 85;
· Break 2 (3-5 minutes): Random draw to decide whether the top nine, 10 or 11 cars must enter pit road for a mandatory four-tire pit stop, pit road closed for all other cars, pit-road exit determines Segment 3 starting order, cars leaving pit road line up behind cars that did not pit;
· Segment 3 (13 laps): Only green-flag laps count (NASCAR Overtime procedures apply).
SPRINT SHOWDOWN FORMAT (MAY 20):
· Segment 1 (20 laps): Field set by practice speed, winner advances to NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race and does not continue in Showdown;
· Segment 2 (20 laps): Field set by pit-road order after mandatory minimum two-tire pit stop, winner advances to NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race and does not continue in Showdown;
· Segment 3 (10 laps): Field set by pit-road order after mandatory minimum two--tire pit stop, winner advances to NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race (NASCAR Overtime rules apply).
ELIGIBILITY:
Drivers who have won a race in the current or preceding year, past NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race winners, past NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champions, Sprint Showdown Segment 1, 2 and last-chance qualifier winners and the Sprint Fan Vote winner are eligible to compete. The final order of the Sprint Fan Vote will fill any remaining spots until the field reaches the minimum of 20 cars. Sprint Fan Vote balloting ends prior to the Sprint Showdown on May 20.

This format was put forward by Brad Keselowski, so if this sucks, we can blame him, not JJ on Twitter LOL

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Results from Kansas:

1. Kyle Busch

2. Harvick

3. Kurt Busch

4. Kenseth

5. Blaney

6. Dillon

7. Newman

8. Allmendinger

9. Elliott

10. Keselowski

Kyle has gotten one of the other tracks he hasn't win off his list, Charlotte & Pocono are all that's left. A big gamble for Denny Hamlin didn't help. Blaney & Elliott looked good near the end, Blaney looked good the whole race. Good to see Smoke run in the top 15.

Next up, Dover.

baltimoreravens.png

BUMP

Results from Dover:

1.Kenseth

2. Larson

3. Elliott

4. Kahne

5. Kurt Busch

6. Keselowski

7. Hamlin

8. Blaney

9. Truex Jr.

10. Bayne

Wow, what a race, usually Dover can produce some good or mediocre racing, but this? This was some of the best racing I've seen in the monster mile in a long time. Just the race between Kenseth & Larson but then you add Chase into the mix? I was really impressed today!

Next up, 2 weeks in Charlotte, the All Start on Saturday & then Next Sunday, the Coca Cola 600!

baltimoreravens.png

If Larson and Elliott had worked together, to get past Kenseth rather than racing each other for 2nd, this would've been a much different result. Great racing though. It's too bad NASCAR turned many people off with their points system and the CoT era cars. They aren't watching anymore. 

iq5b7nF.png

2 hours ago, jc... said:

If Larson and Elliott had worked together, to get past Kenseth rather than racing each other for 2nd, this would've been a much different result. Great racing though. It's too bad NASCAR turned many people off with their points system and the CoT era cars. They aren't watching anymore. 

Do you blame them though? They were racing for their 1st wins in sprint cup. Maybe chase should have just laid back and waited for a moment to make a move while Larson and Kenneth duked it out. But if it was me I'd be sticking my nose in their too. Patience will. One in time for them. 

23 hours ago, dont care said:

Do you blame them though? They were racing for their 1st wins in sprint cup. Maybe chase should have just laid back and waited for a moment to make a move while Larson and Kenneth duked it out. But if it was me I'd be sticking my nose in their too. Patience will. One in time for them. 

Not at all. When you feel you can win, you have to go for it. It just happened to be the perfect storm that kinda screwed them. That's racing though. 

iq5b7nF.png

I loved the racing there at Dover except for the fact that Kenseth won. Larson and Elliott had me on the edge of my seat. Glad to see real racing is back in the sport. 

Hopefully Larson and Elliott advance to and do well in the all-star race. Winners seem to come out of nowhere in that thing(McMurray a couple years back).

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Well, we can finally put the Harvick to Hendrick rumors to rest, Silly Season has begun...

via Jayski...

Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) has signed driver #4-Kevin Harvick to a long-term contract extension. Harvick joined SHR in 2014 after 13 Sprint Cup seasons and his impact with the organization was immediate.

"It was a big decision to join Stewart-Haas Racing and it has turned out to be my best decision," said Harvick, who has won nine of his 32 career Sprint Cup victories with SHR. "I came to Stewart-Haas Racing to win championships. We have one, but that only made us hungry for more. I'm very happy to have my future secure with a team so dedicated to winning." Harvick will continue to drive the team's #4 entry and remain paired with crew chief Rodney Childers, who signed a multiyear contract extension last June.

It's official, Chevy just lost one of their best drivers & Ford is grinning from ear to ear. That leaves Denny, Jamie Mac, Newman & Menard as free agents this season, question is will anyone else jump ship?

baltimoreravens.png

Hardly a unique thought, but Chase Elliott is going to be really, really good and it's going to be a lot of fun watching him and Kyle Larson over the next decade or two.  That was some awesome driving Chase did in that third segment and a hell of a finish with Larson getting the win!

IUe6Hvh.png

On 05/20/2016 at 5:48 PM, rvrdgsfn said:

Well, we can finally put the Harvick to Hendrick rumors to rest, Silly Season has begun...

via Jayski...

Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) has signed driver #4-Kevin Harvick to a long-term contract extension. Harvick joined SHR in 2014 after 13 Sprint Cup seasons and his impact with the organization was immediate.

"It was a big decision to join Stewart-Haas Racing and it has turned out to be my best decision," said Harvick, who has won nine of his 32 career Sprint Cup victories with SHR. "I came to Stewart-Haas Racing to win championships. We have one, but that only made us hungry for more. I'm very happy to have my future secure with a team so dedicated to winning." Harvick will continue to drive the team's #4 entry and remain paired with crew chief Rodney Childers, who signed a multiyear contract extension last June.

It's official, Chevy just lost one of their best drivers & Ford is grinning from ear to ear. That leaves Denny, Jamie Mac, Newman & Menard as free agents this season, question is will anyone else jump ship?

Didn't this occur from a report from Frontstretch?

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/nascar-media-controversy-erupts-over-tom-bowles-kevin-harvick-report.html

So Larson slammed into the wall with 2 laps to go and no caution was called (likely would've been called in any other race) leading to a Logano win... this whole set up for the All-Star Race this year was complete bogus. Never do this again NASCAR.

Archived