Weird things you noticed in sports

johnnysama

Well, while anything uniform-related can be posted, this is mostly focused on the weird quirks you have noticed in sports in general, so I'll put it here. It's your answers to the question "Did You Notice This?" in sports.

---

In the United States (NFL, college/high school), the offending team when a penalty is announced only via generic terms (Terms like offense/defense, et al. Example: "False start, offense number 62, five yard penalty, still first down.") But in the CFL, the offending team is announced by its city or province (Ex. "Illegal forward pass, Saskatchewan number 10, five yard penalty, now second down.")

The use of all-dirt infields in profession and high school Japanese baseball (and yes, quite a few community baseball field in North America have them).

On the note of Japanese baseball, during the 1970s and 1980s, some teams sported belted trouser look that looked like a beltless waistband pants; the belt was trimmed in the same way as the waistband was (http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-cb-6c/dgcqq143/folder/1416468/09/32669409/img_3?1250070376 - this photo has one such example). It was only used in Japan.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always take note of which direction a hockey team shoots twice on home ice. I like seeing teams shoot to the left side twice.Don't ask me why... It just seems right. I also hate teams that do it backwards. Like the Ducks, Coyotes, the Beej, Dallass, just to name a few.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I always take note of which direction a hockey team shoots twice on home ice. I like seeing teams shoot to the left side twice.Don't ask me why... It just seems right. I also hate teams that do it backwards. Like the Ducks, Coyotes, the Beej, Dallass, just to name a few.

Not a new thing, yet I've grown utterly & bizarrely accustomed to NHL, NFL, & even NBA on radio telling me which direction each team is playing- on the field/ice/floor.

The Raptors do this often, 'Raps break out left to right on your radio, with numbers, dish to DD, & slam!!'

('with numbers' has become one of their go-to's, when a team gets 5 on 3 or 4)

I think I appreciate it because I've seen every single big 4 arena/field on tv, I can better visualize the flow. Utterly absurd I know.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

On another note regarding Canadian football, for quite a while, they marked their yard markers every 5 yards (in the USA, it is still seen at only LSU's Tiger Stadium); this was phased out in the late 1970s/early 1980s and now all nine stadiums mark it by the standard 10 yards.

UBwef0L.png

The Peterborough Memorial Centre, home of the Petes, has corners unlike any other rink, much more squared. They aren't flooded easily and end up becoming a mess by the end of the game.

Peterborough%20corner%20faceoff%202%20(6

Compared to the Hershey Centre here:

06.jpg

The Peterborough Memorial Centre, home of the Petes, has corners unlike any other rink, much more squared. They aren't flooded easily and end up becoming a mess by the end of the game.

I think Ottawa's Civic Centre has that, the Senators home for a few seasons.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Not a new thing, yet I've grown utterly & bizarrely accustomed to NHL, NFL, & even NBA on radio telling me which direction each team is playing- on the field/ice/floor.

The Raptors do this often, 'Raps break out left to right on your radio, with numbers, dish to DD, & slam!!'

I think I appreciate it because I've seen every single big 4 arena/field on tv, I can better visualize the flow. Utterly absurd I know.

It's not at all absurd. The reason it's done is to help listeners visualize the game. When I called high school games on the radio, I left myself a note to remind people at least twice a quarter which way the teams were moving in relation to their radio. It became such a habit that, after I moved over to TV, I still occasionally did the "left to right on your dial."

BB52Big.jpg

As a radio lover, I agree with this. They do this as well in baseball for radio.

(P.S. Smith over Devlin anyday!)

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

On another note regarding Canadian football, for quite a while, they marked their yard markers every 5 yards (in the USA, it is still seen at only LSU's Tiger Stadium); this was phased out in the late 1970s/early 1980s and now all nine stadiums mark it by the standard 10 yards.

As an aside, I always wondered why the CFL still used yards instead of switching to Meters...

It's not al all absurd. The reason it's done is to help listeners visualize the game. When I called high school games on the radio, I left myself a note to remind people at least twice a quarter which way the teams were moving in relation to their radio. It became such a habit that, after I moved over to TV, I still occasionally did the "left to right on your dial."

Bob Kurtz, the radio voice of the Minnesota Wild always says the Wild are playing "Left to Right across your radio dial" Although I think The radio announcers sit on the opposite of the rink, because the Wild actually play Right to left across the rink, and least from the center logo facing the right way.

Also saying a team has numbers is a common way to say they have the odd man rush. Except for the 2-on-1s, announcers usually call it as having numbers at yada yada yada whatever...........

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The Islanders have to shoot right twice because of the overhang. I don't remember which way they went at Nassau, just that the camera was on the left blue line.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That depends on which side the cameras go on--because if you look at it from the other side they shoot to the left side twice.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

That depends on which side the cameras go on--because if you look at it from the other side they shoot to the left side twice.
The cameras are on the penalty-box side everywhere in the NHL but Edmonton, and that will probably change next year with the opening of (ugh) Rogers Place.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's not al all absurd. The reason it's done is to help listeners visualize the game. When I called high school games on the radio, I left myself a note to remind people at least twice a quarter which way the teams were moving in relation to their radio. It became such a habit that, after I moved over to TV, I still occasionally did the "left to right on your dial."

Bob Kurtz, the radio voice of the Minnesota Wild always says the Wild are playing "Left to Right across your radio dial" Although I think The radio announcers sit on the opposite of the rink, because the Wild actually play Right to left across the rink, and least from the center logo facing the right way.

Also saying a team has numbers is a common way to say they have the odd man rush. Except for the 2-on-1s, announcers usually call it as having numbers at yada yada yada whatever...........

Announcers give you their perspective. It's not meant to be literal, it's just a way to help listeners visualize the game.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived