Socks That Ruined NFL Looks

Elmos World 17

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who pays attention to the socks in the NFL. Every time I watch a game I see the white socks that every player has to wear...I personally think it looks very odd. Am I the only one who thinks white socks look weird on full color uniforms? Oh and don't forget the several teams who wear one color pants and socks, with a different color jersey, it looks weird and unbalanced to me. Here are some examples of socks ruining NFL looks: hi-res-7bfd3bd4111f00c266beea0b41b6d196_dan_fouts_1983_01_16.jpg20151004__151005-Vikings-WallaceBridgewaThose are just a few of the examples I could think of. So do you think there's any socks that ruin NFL uniforms?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets striped socks with their all white uniforms. It makes a drab uniform look even worse.

Redskins striped socks (which match nothing) with their burgundy and yellow uniforms.

The Bills would look much cleaner if they got rid of whatever they are wearing as socks and just went to a solid blue.

There were more in the past decade (including the Browns) but most of them have been eliminated.

I actually think that the bucs kinda pulled off the one color pants socks thing.

ccf595_e82fe332-100b-4680-b873-62e82ed64

Oh man I had those spikes, and the indoor version too. Wish I could remember what they were called.

EDIT: Air Mission

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Eschewing low whites would only work with the Ravens. It certainly doesn't work with Color Rash.

White socks with colored jerseys always looks silly. I can deal with the Vikings in matching purple pants and socks but wouldn't say it looks good. The worst sock choice of all, though, is no socks. As someone who watched the NFL but had no history of watching the college game, college players always look silly without high socks, like they can't afford them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I actually think that the bucs kinda pulled off the one color pants socks thing.

Oh man I had those spikes, and the indoor version too. Wish I could remember what they were called.

Are they wearing 2 socks or is it one sock that is divided into 2 colors? I believe the Broncos have socks that are divided into 2 colors and I love that. I wish more teams did this. It visually helps break up the colors.

While I hardly think the socks "ruin" this look, as it was ruined from the start, I do think the modern-day Buccaneers' orange socks completely unbalance their uniform and look silly.

panthers-vs-buccaneers-2014-135*750xx547

It might even be worse than if they actually wore pewter socks with pewter pants, like what was shown when they revealed their uniforms.

I think the saints in the mid 80's before they madeover their unis were the first

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

158904670-andre-johnson-of-the-houston-t

It's not the worst thing in the world, but if they just went red socks that's a top 5 away set

51294278-quarterback-david-carr-of-the-h

Your images aren't showing up for me, but here is a rare away set with red socks. I prefer the navy pants on the road, but if they go white tops at home, I like to couple it with the white bottoms. I think just about everything looks sharp at NRG for them when they go white pants.

andre-johnson.jpg

Are they wearing 2 socks or is it one sock that is divided into 2 colors? I believe the Broncos have socks that are divided into 2 colors and I love that. I wish more teams did this. It visually helps break up the colors.

It's one sock. It was always one sock - white on the bottom with color and/or stripes on the top. That was until the last decade, when :censored:s started wearing multiple pairs of socks pulled to various heights, wearing colored tights with ankle socks pulled over them, and so forth.

For me, the socks with white ARE a pro football uniform. Solid color socks with football uniforms look amateurish, like a high school team. "We couldn't afford actual football socks, so we went to Walmart and bought pairs of knee-high socks." Leave that crap to soccer, where it's part of the aesthetic. Socks with white are part of the pro football aesthetic. They've only started vanishing because the NFL doesn't care about enforcing its uniform code.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

i think that ideally, socks should have stripes but thats not always necessary. the Raiders certainly would not look right with striped socks.

that said, i dont mind when pants color matches the sock. it looks like the player is actually wearing pants rather than knee high cut offs. what i cant stand is a white shoe with a white sock - it always looks like moonboots or something. if there is ever 2 pieces that should be seperated by color its the sock and cleat

personally id like to see the NFL adopt a solid color sock (with stripe pattern option) instead of the color over white for cold weather games, then issue a short sock for warm weather - the long socks are completely unnecessary when playing in August and works just fine for NCAA

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

My personal sock rules:

- In most cases the sock should be a different color from the pants. Exception: I think the Bengals look worse with orange socks and black pants than they do with the black socks/black pants.

- light colors such as yellow, gray, gold should not be worn as a full sock color. If that's the case then the team should go with white striped socks. The Lions in the 90's wore blue pants with gray socks for a few games. Would've looked so much better with white socks with stripes that matched their sleeves.

- If you're an older "heritage" team and your uniforms reflect that then in most cases you should have some stripes on your socks. Looking at San Francisco, Indianapolis, Green Bay. All looked better with stripes.

- If a team has color pants mostly intended to be worn with their white road jersey (see: Bears, Dolphins, Jets, Bills etc) then the best course of action is a white striped sock with stripes that match some kind of striping on the jersey or helmet.

- But the Jets insistence on wearing all-white with the striped socks bothers me. Those socks should only be brought out if they're wearing the green pants. If they're in white pants they should wear the solid green socks. Looks better and there's more color.

- The NFL needs to crack down on how the striped socks are worn. This thing where they're bunched up around the ankle shouldn't be acceptable.

PvO6ZWJ.png

and in the spirit of the thread here's one I grieved over:

The Chargers looked better when they had striped socks with their blue pants

ladainian_tomlinson_2002_12_15.jpg

when they started wearing blue socks with the blue pants it felt like they got lazy and cheap. Like the equipment managers didn't want to worry about a second pair of socks.

full.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

The rule should read something to the effect of, the bottom half of the sock must be white, with the top half being colored, striped, or a combination of colored/striped. The socks will be measured from the top of the shoe to the bottom of the pants. The color-break must occur +/- 1" from the center point of the sock.. This solid colored sock with white ankle socks thing is growing old quickly

Archived