Los Angeles Clippers Logo Concepts-Roundel, Roundel, Roundel

rtrich11

It's been quite a while since I posted a concept!

Many aren't too excited about the new Clippers logo, so I thought I would take a stab at it. The clipper ship connection has been gone a long time so I wanted to at least try to bring that back in some way. There are a lot of great concepts out there showing ships, so I'm trying a different angle here.

I am not sure I like the compass rose on the B version, but variants like a ship's wheel were not working at that size. I may put some sails, a la their old logo, but again, the small size might not help. I don't want to put a generic star or circle in place if I don't have to.

Enjoy and give comments.

clippersrichards.jpg?w=552

to be honest here, I really liked the looks of design B. It is like Timberwolf said of movement, I agree with him. I am wondering how it would looks with design A's font in the B's logo. And yeah try it out with SD orange and light blue too!

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Thanks for your input. I seem to be hearing that more people are liking the font from A. I can try that, but I wonder if I should use it in the current usage where the letters almost wrap around, or if I should kern it and fill in the gaps along the sides with a symbol of some sort.

And speaking of the symbols on the outer ring, no comments or ideas?

The compass rose is great. I actually didn't realize you were referring to it at first because they look like stars, which is another cool image, like how they would navigate by the stars in those days. I think you stumbled upon something pretty cool!

I really like both, but I am going to have to vote A as the better one. I think there is a nice balance of colors in A and not too much color in general that makes it look a tad off. Most of you know that I rave about light blue for the Clippers, and I would love to see it in their identity for them to stand out (also because it is such a nice color) and the same applies here. Maybe you could experiment with light blue in these, just to check and see if it looks cool.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I generally agree with all of the above comments. My added suggestion is to A make the anchor stand out against the lines on the ball more, which could be done by making the anchor red in Design A and blue in Design B.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

I would go with A on this one. I like the symmetry and use of the anchor. However, I might try and separate the anchor from the basketball lines with a thin outline. I would say the only thing the new Clippers' rebrand I have grown to like is the addition of black. I used to think black, red, and blue had no business being together, but now I kinda like it. Maybe try incorporating black into this and try to lighten the blue? Great job.

A, but use the compass roses from B. B reminds me a little too much of Brooklyn, which has the same awkward tension between the flow of the channels and general static-ness of the logo.

rATMcmK.png

Archived