North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 2001mark said:

TFC first in the East.  Me likey.

OCSC goalie slipped to his @$$ on their poor turf during a routine goal kick.  

FINALLY

10 long years and we're finally on top! Just stay healthy and keep the points coming. Looking forward to the first home playoff game.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 8/25/2016 at 8:46 AM, mr.negative15 said:

Looking forward to the first home playoff game.

I would hold off on that excitement.

Knowing TFC & Toronto sports they will probably lost that game 3-1 after being 1-0 up at halftime and winning the first leg 2-0 causing them to lose on away goals.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

How exactly are NYCFC and Orlando City rivals? Because they both came into the league the same year? Because the both have City in their names? Easily the biggest stretch of this past weekend's Soccer Sunday "Rivalry Week".

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

How exactly are NYCFC and Orlando City rivals? Because they both came into the league the same year? Because the both have City in their names? Easily the biggest stretch of this past weekend's Soccer Sunday "Rivalry Week".

MLS has a really loose definition of the word "rivalry" sometimes.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They're trying too hard.  

Are you talking about Orlando City or MLS?

If you're talking Orlando City I think its more having to do with boredom than trying too hard. Their biggest rival is the Rowdies who are in the NASL and are probably going to remain their for some time.

Once they get more Southeastern teams to play with (Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, etc) they are going to forget all about NYCFC.

13 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

Are you talking about Orlando City or MLS?

If you're talking Orlando City I think its more having to do with boredom than trying too hard. Their biggest rival is the Rowdies who are in the NASL and are probably going to remain their for some time.

Once they get more Southeastern teams to play with (Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, etc) they are going to forget all about NYCFC.

Even with Atlanta coming in I see MLS trying to pair NYCFC and Orlando City as much as possible until Atlanta and Orlando are at the same level. I don't think we'll see that immediately with no expansion drafts for LAFC or Atlanta united.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I was thinking MLS, but I could see Orlando as well.  There's no rivalry there, although Kreis gives us another connection that could really help build one.

This is the league that throws out rivalry cups like candy so I don't see that changing anytime soon.

We have the...

Brimstone Cup between Chicago & Dallas because FC Dallas was called the Dallas Burn at the time and Chicago's team is called the Chicago Fire.

Heritage Cup between Seattle & San Jose even though both of teams aren't the original Sounders & Earthquakes, hell the modern day Earthquakes aren't even the original MLS Earthquakes

Trillium Cup between Columbus & Toronto because reasons.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Well, the league doesn't have any hand in those cups.  Those were created by the various supporters groups, so maybe it's not surprising that lots of groups want in.

I think MLS actually tried to get rid of a cup between NYCFC and Philly last year too. Or at least take over naming rights.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

Trillium Cup between Columbus & Toronto because reasons.

Never did anything for me.  Felt like MLS throwing a bone for the teams because we're within half a days drive of one another.  I've seen lively TFC supporters on the road for it, though the most recent memory of significance was merely because season opener - last season or maybe even the one prior.

The #1 rival is now Montreal, with Whitecaps probably next.  Regional/national appeal + annual battles for CL qualification.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived