North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, alexandre said:

What's the latest there? It seems like Kraft has no motivation to get one done, but I'm not necessarily privy to the goings on. Would MLS ever apply pressure to them?

I think that Kraft doesn't wanna build it because right now he makes nothing but profit at Gillette since he owns it and doesn't have to pay rent or anything which he'd might have to do if it was in Boston. Right now he wants to build it at the old Bayside expo center at Columbia Point. Perfect location, right by the highway, subway station right next to it and it's not too far from downtown but he might have to lease the land from UMass. In addition to that, he wants to use taxpayer money which is a horrible idea among the citizens and some locals are angry about a roundabout that would cause traffic on gamedays. The good thing is that the new mayor is a fan of the stadium and actually wants it to be built, unlike the old one. As for MLS, I'm sure they want to tap into the hotbed of Boston as soon as possible but right now, Garber seems lenient. He recently said something like "I'd be shocked if there isn't a stadium by 2020" or something along those lines. There hasn't been much news recently but if the Columbia point location is to work, Kraft is  gonna have to donate some money to the city to clean up that roundabout. Somebody made some concept renders of what it could look like that I probably admire every day.

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3700.JPG

sigsgsg.png.dd2c63fee3388b4132af271cae3c34b5.png

The Krafts' ability to get a soccer-specific stadium built for the New England Revolution within the Greater Boston urban core has always been about how far below market-rate they were going to be able to pay in order to secure a suitable plot of land, as well as what kind of infrastructure help they could manage to wrangle out of the public sector.

Which, frankly, is why none of the rumored possibilities to date has progressed very far. Any moderately-astute public official thus far approached about partnering on a soccer-specific stadium deal has more than likely pointed to the development of Gillette Stadium and said, "We want the same type of deal." Namely, the Krafts paying market-rate to purchase or lease the land upon which the stadium is to be built, financing the entirety of the facility's construction themselves, and reimbursing - in full - whatever public entity provides up-front infrastructure improvements.

The Krafts, having already shouldered that much of the burden on a stadium development deal and not eager to do so again, have balked. Negotiations have stalled.

Now, maybe Marty Walsh is so desperate to establish his mayoral bonafides and succeed in getting a legacy project built during his administration that he'd be willing to sell the Krafts a plot of city-owned land for a song, or lease it for peanuts. However, that hasn't happened to date... perhaps, because other City of Boston officials aren't as keen on the idea of investing public dollars into such a project as Mayor Walsh has been. 

In any event, the old Bayside Expo Center site isn't city-owned land. It is now owned by the University of Massachusetts at Boston, a state agency. As such, there's no reason to believe that members of the state political establishment in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts are going to be amenable to shouldering any more of the financial responsibility for building a soccer-specific stadium for Major League Soccer's Revolution than they were for the construction of Gillette Stadium for the National Football League's Patriots. Hell, the Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics haven't reaped public money for the construction of their venues either. Why should the Krafts think that the Revolution is going to be any different?

Finally, add to this the rabidly-enthusiastic level of Bostonian civic activism and NIMBYism and there's no reason to believe that the New England Revolution will be setting-up shop within the city limits of Boston any time soon.

What's the Krafts' incentive to sell? The Revolution are a way to fill dates at Gillette Stadium between concerts during the New England Patriots off-season. As such, paid attendance at Revolution matches goes towards helping to pay down the debt that the Krafts incurred in privately-financing the siting and construction of Gillette Stadium. Attendance at Revolution matches drives foot-traffic to Patriot Place, the restaurant-and-retail "lifestyle center" that the Krafts developed adjacent to Gillette Stadium. Increased foot-traffic at Patriot Place keeps tenants happy, which makes it more likely that said tenants will opt to re-up their leases. 

Look, here is what Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber had to say about the Revolution's stadium situation in March of 2013:

"Well, you know, the New England Revolution are a great club. Kraft Family, founders of the league, uh, you know, really, uh, so committed and such big believers in the sport. Uh, I think Jonathan Kraft could be one of the big soccer... my biggest soccer fans on our board. Uh, they love the game and they love the New England Revolution.

"Uh, they own a stadium and its logical that they would play their games in the stadium they already own. And they have a massive private investment in that stadium and Patriot Place around it. 

"That being said, they have been public in saying that they're looking at a more urban location. They've been dealing with, uh, with that for well over a year. Uh, that will be a double-down, triple-down, quadruple-down personal financial commitment on their part. 

"This is one of those cases where we're trying to get public support, because it's hard to think about moving out of a stadium where you've already invested money for your football team and have your soccer team play in it and now you have to invest even more money downtown. 

"Uh, we... we hope to support them in their efforts."

Does that sound like Don Garber - or, any of the other suits at MLS headquarters - is going to "apply pressure" to the Krafts about the Revolution stadium situation? No. What is made clear by Garber's statement is that the Krafts are looking for "public support" - i.e. an investment of public funds - into development of a soccer-specific stadium for the Revolution. Given the fact that both the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the City of Boston have been historically loath to invest public dollars into the development of ballparks, arenas, and stadiums for the New England region's MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL franchises, I don't see them loosening the purse-strings for an MLS team. Not without the Krafts shouldering the vast majority of the financial burden and committing to reimbursing public entities for their investment.     

49 minutes ago, alexandre said:

That is highly discouraging. Is there any chance at all of an outside ownership group getting involved? I can't imagine there'd be one that has much clout without the region to get anything done, but that seems slightly more likely than the Krafts ever working anything out.

Brian brought up the most salient points, but even if there was another ownership group, where exactly would the team play and practice while the new facilities would be constructed?  The new owner would just be giving the Krafts even more money because it isn't like Fenway, BU, BC or Harvard will have open arms for them.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:12 AM, Brian in Boston said:

The Krafts' ability to get a soccer-specific stadium built for the New England Revolution within the Greater Boston urban core has always been about how far below market-rate they were going to be able to pay in order to secure a suitable plot of land, as well as what kind of infrastructure help they could manage to wrangle out of the public sector.

Which, frankly, is why none of the rumored possibilities to date has progressed very far. Any moderately-astute public official thus far approached about partnering on a soccer-specific stadium deal has more than likely pointed to the development of Gillette Stadium and said, "We want the same type of deal." Namely, the Krafts paying market-rate to purchase or lease the land upon which the stadium is to be built, financing the entirety of the facility's construction themselves, and reimbursing - in full - whatever public entity provides up-front infrastructure improvements.

The Krafts, having already shouldered that much of the burden on a stadium development deal and not eager to do so again, have balked. Negotiations have stalled.

Now, maybe Marty Walsh is so desperate to establish his mayoral bonafides and succeed in getting a legacy project built during his administration that he'd be willing to sell the Krafts a plot of city-owned land for a song, or lease it for peanuts. However, that hasn't happened to date... perhaps, because other City of Boston officials aren't as keen on the idea of investing public dollars into such a project as Mayor Walsh has been. 

In any event, the old Bayside Expo Center site isn't city-owned land. It is now owned by the University of Massachusetts at Boston, a state agency. As such, there's no reason to believe that members of the state political establishment in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts are going to be amenable to shouldering any more of the financial responsibility for building a soccer-specific stadium for Major League Soccer's Revolution than they were for the construction of Gillette Stadium for the National Football League's Patriots. Hell, the Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics haven't reaped public money for the construction of their venues either. Why should the Krafts think that the Revolution is going to be any different?

Finally, add to this the rabidly-enthusiastic level of Bostonian civic activism and NIMBYism and there's no reason to believe that the New England Revolution will be setting-up shop within the city limits of Boston any time soon.

If leased to the Kraft Group, the UMass site would still require the university to pay taxes on the revenue as it isn't gained from an educational purpose.

https://www.universitybusiness.com/article/real-estate’s-real-deal-higher-ed

Higher education becoming more involved in real estate partnerships is occurring more and more with side effects.

MLS playoffs are set. First round matchups.

• Toronto FC vs Philadelphia Union
  • DC United vs Montreal Impact
  • LA Galaxy vs Real Salt Lake
  • Seattle Sounders vs Sporting KC

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I went to the Sounders match today. It was a lot of fun, marred only by some suspect officiating. But that's life.

Seattle went from 10 points out of the playoffs at one point to 4th in the west, and are playing their best now. Not saying they'll win MLS Cup, but why not now?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm overjoyed and amazed that NYCFC has bounced back from a rough first year to grab the second seed in the East. Managers can matter. 

Also interesting is that Vieira, fighting for a bye, chose to sit his keeper and give the 24-year old backup his first MLS start.  A lot of us in Yankee Stadium figured that must have been part of the "Fan Appreciation Day" festivities. 

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Seattle went from 10 points out of the playoffs at one point to 4th in the west, and are playing their best now.

Welcome to parity.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Also interesting is that Vieira, fighting for a bye, chose to sit his keeper and give the 24-year old backup his first MLS start.  A lot of us in Yankee Stadium figured that must have been part of the "Fan Appreciation Day" festivities. 

It's not like Saunders is all that great anyways and, lets be honest, his team was playing a not so good Crew team and had the advantage against Toronto in the standings.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I'm not optimistic about the Impact's chances on Thursday, mostly because DC are red hot at the moment. I am just not confident in them defensively in the slightest.

I had fun at Gillette yesterday, regardless of the result. I had a little more fun watching the Habs, although nobody threatened me at Gillette. Good luck to the Revs in the future!

You can't ignore this http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/10/07/fc-cincinnati-usl-john-harkes-mls/

Are we too late for expansion to MLS? Are we too close to Columbus? 

Crew Stadium is a giant high school football stadium, but I like it. I don't see a need for a new one, other than a better location. They could make improvements to the already existing structure and it would presumably be a much cheaper solution. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived