North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 long years. FINALLY

We're going to the cup!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Excuse my ramble here. I'm wet and sufficiently buzzed but what a night tonight was. 

I can't tell you how many texts I got from people who aren't even fans but realize how awesome it is that TFC made the finals (also asking me for tickets....but that's another story). 

I said it when they finally won a playoff game and I'm saying it again now; all that money and time spent, it's all worth it. 

I cant wait for Dec 10. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

49 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Excuse my ramble here. I'm wet and sufficiently buzzed but what a night tonight was. 

I can't tell you how many texts I got from people who aren't even fans but realize how awesome it is that TFC made the finals (also asking me for tickets....but that's another story). 

I said it when they finally won a playoff game and I'm saying it again now; all that money and time spent, it's all worth it. 

I cant wait for Dec 10. 

I've been to two Western Conference Final games at Century Link. Both were losses. Both were to the Galaxy. It's a real crummy feeling being in the stadium when your team loses it's final game of the year.

I'm sorry you're going to experience that in a couple of weeks :)

But seriously, I think TFC is a good matchup for Seattle. The Sounders have locked down on defense all year, and have been especially good through the playoffs. They play opportunistic offense, and TFC is pretty good at giving up a bunch of goals.

If Toronto pours it on early though, Seattle will definitely be in trouble. They're good about 1.5 goals per game; not three. Either way though, it should be an entertaining final!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Honestly, and this is going to sound cheesy, but it's too bad that one of these teams have to loose.

Both clubs have great supporters but teams that just haven't been able to get to the cup (granted Seattle has fielded much better teams than TFC has over the years) and both supporter's group deserve this win.

I think you are spot on @DG_Now if TFC can get the scoring going, they win. If they can't Seattle goes home champs. Either way, I'm still excited to be at BMO on the 10th, can't come soon enough. 

10 hours ago, DG_Now said:

TFC is pretty good at giving up a bunch of goals.

Second best defence in MLS this year.

Unless you play an Impact style of sitting back and counter attacking I think you're in for a surprise if you think Toronto's giving up plenty of goals.

1zqy8ok.gif

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Per Darren Rovell, the cheapest resale ticket for MLS Cup final is $450. Nice work, Toronto.

That's funny because they haven't even been sold yet. 

Dec 5th is the "on sale" date for general public. 

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/toronto-fc-2016-mls-cup-toronto-ontario-12-10-2016/event/10005177448C0C2D?artistid=1110670&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=11

This has been something I've been seeing online the last few days, scalpers are assuming they will gets seats and are listing them already.

27 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

That's funny because they haven't even been sold yet. 

Dec 5th is the "on sale" date for general public. 

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/toronto-fc-2016-mls-cup-toronto-ontario-12-10-2016/event/10005177448C0C2D?artistid=1110670&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=11

This has been something I've been seeing online the last few days, scalpers are assuming they will gets seats and are listing them already.

I really doubt there will be tickets available for the general sale. Season Seat Holders get first dibs at their own tickets, then MLS will scoop up a bunch for sponsors and partners and such. TFC will then allocate a certain amount for Seattle. Then TFC Season Seat Holders will have a presale. Then the rest will be available for general sale. I cant see more than a couple hundred being available.

1zqy8ok.gif

1 minute ago, Breakwood said:

I really doubt there will be tickets available for the general sale. Season Seat Holders get first dibs at their own tickets, then MLS will scoop up a bunch for sponsors and partners and such. TFC will then allocate a certain amount for Seattle. Then TFC Season Seat Holders will have a presale. Then the rest will be available for general sale. I cant see more than a couple hundred being available.

With the added stands (which I'm sure they will keep up) I'd guess a couple thousand. 

Either way, there won't be many, you are correct. 

Thank goodness for presales :)

55 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

They were insistent that they deserved D1 status alongside MLS while failing to meet the requirements to be D2 set by the USSF, and they're financially insolvent. I won't celebrate the NASL's demise but I'm not sad to see it go. The USL is doing things right and will be a proper D2 league. Making an attempt to supersede the established top league in the country the entire point of your existence just doesn't work.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Most of the NASL clubs would be able to switch to the new D2 USL, but there are a couple notable exceptions.  Puerto Rico FC is doubtful, as there have been bad experiences with Carribean clubs. 

The other one is the Cosmos.  Seems their owners haven't demonstrated either the financial responsibility or the willingness to work together that the USL wants.   Would be very interesting if the Cosmos end up on the outside without a league to play in. 

On 01/12/2016 at 0:52 PM, Breakwood said:

Local news about season ticket holders losing their seats a la Rogers Centre behind home plate playoff games for league officials/etc.

That's the cost of hosting a league finale, there will be v.i.p. preferential treatment.  Those season ticket holders btw are apparently being offered first dibs at other good seats in the stadium.

Weather update: Dec 10... -1c mix of sun & cloud.  Light flurries 9th & 11th so no rain in sight.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The other one is the Cosmos.  Seems their owners haven't demonstrated either the financial responsibility or the willingness to work together that the USL wants.   Would be very interesting if the Cosmos end up on the outside without a league to play in. 

To me the Cosmos have three roads they can take.

1. Get a new ownership group in that doesn't have a Don Quixote like delusion that they can someone take on MLS and can work with the powers that be so they have a future in a D2 USL.

2. Become the soccer version of the Globetrotters and create a team with a mixture of academy players and old vets that will play random friendlies with the highlights of the year coming when they get their asses whooped in a testimonial for a big player (like in 2010 against Man United). I'm sure Roma is looking for a team to play in Totti's eventual testimonial.

3. Just fold and prevent the original Cosmos's legacy from being further tarnished.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived