What if the New York Red Bulls were to rebrand?

Luke_Groundrunner

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, I didn't love the MetroStars name, but I loved the imagery with the logos:

b6rdkyruo1dv3jpnzzshrojk0.gif41MX9ZpXWtL._SX355_.jpg

NYCFCSCWHATEVER is throwing all its eggs into the nolstalga blue and orange look, so there is a completely untapped modern market with tons of NYC imagery that can be used without looking too dated. They will need a new name though. Since every other team in the league is called "united" I would suggest NYC United. Don't be original - be Euro.

The more I think about it, the more I absolutely love the Metrostars name. It was so different from everything else, and would continue the lineage of the team.

Even though Red Bulls should tie or pass the Metrostars name in years used this year or next year.

I'm also a lover of the name. I heart 'New York Metrostars' first as a child when Lothar Matthäus joined them. I loved this name back then although I didn't know what it meant at all. So it kinda has this legendary feeling to me.

For a NYRB rebrand I would just suggest the name 'Metrostars FC'. Without any city or location added.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

They were never the "New York Metrostars". They were first the "New York/New Jersey MetroStars", and then just "MetroStars".

When Red Bull sells, and they eventually will, I'm convinced the new owners will change it to MetroStars FC, or just maybe New York MetroStars FC. There's no way the fans would let them change it to anything else. It's a silly corporate sponsor name, but it's theirs.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I feel that Red Bulls lost the right to rebrand themselves as a New York team once NYCFC came into MLS and actually planted their flag in New York City. Like some others have suggested I think they should go with Metrostars name. They also need to embrace the fact that they are a New Jersey based franchise. My final answer "New Jersey Metrostars".

Hotter Than July > Thriller

When Red Bull sells the team I think the team should rebrand itself as Metropolitan SC.

It sounds European, which is in right now, and it is a nod to their past as the Metrostars without embracing too much of the 1990's corniness that went along with it.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I feel that Red Bulls lost the right to rebrand themselves as a New York team once NYCFC came into MLS and actually planted their flag in New York City. Like some others have suggested I think they should go with Metrostars name. They also need to embrace the fact that they are a New Jersey based franchise. My final answer "New Jersey Metrostars".

Since they've called themselves a New York club from the beginning they can't lose that status only because NYCFC are in Yankee stadium. We don't demand the Jets and Giants change to New Jersey so I didn't see a reason to demand it of Red Bulls.

That being said, I say go with Metrostars. No FC or SC, just Metrostars. Take their All Star logo with the New York skyline and use that as the starting point for a badge.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Buffalo Bills were never marketed as or claimed themselves to be a New York City team. Meanwhile both the Giants and Jets originated in NYC.

Metrostars/Red Bulls originated in New Jersey and only played in the state of New York for three seasons of their existence. Two of which were outside NYC limits in Long Island.

And what is exactly wrong with being a New Jersey team?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The Buffalo Bills were never marketed as or claimed themselves to be a New York City team. Meanwhile both the Giants and Jets originated in NYC.

Metrostars/Red Bulls originated in New Jersey and only played in the state of New York for three seasons of their existence. Two of which were outside NYC limits in Long Island.

It's just a guess, but I think it's about marketing outside of the US. While it wouldn't be a problem if we would talk about the four major sports, I think it is in soccer. They want to promote themselves in Europe, Latin America and Asia, as these are the big markets when it comes to soccer.

Just an example: The NY Red Bulls got about 800.000 facebook likes. I think that many of them (especially from outside the US) just liked them because they think they are from New York. If they'd call themselves the New Jersey Somethings they'd just be another Columbus Crew-type of club, at least in Europe, South America etc.

Same stadium, same franchise but another name could make a huge image difference here.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Just make them the Cosmos. And bring the Rowdies back to Tampa Bay.

Both of those teams very much exist
And the Cosmos refused to play outside of New York or even share a stadium with Red Bulls. They're still trying to get a stadium built in Flushing Meadows I believe.

And the Cosmos refused to play outside of New York or even share a stadium with Red Bulls. They're still trying to get a stadium built in Flushing Meadows I believe.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This doesn't have to do with Buffalo or its sports teams. The link to them has and never will be associated to them. It's about New York City, not Buffalo.

As for the MetroStars/Red Bulls franchise, think about this and it applies to all of the local teams except for the Devils.

The "New York" moniker has always been in reference to New York City. That is unless you don't feel the Islanders misused it all these years, which in itself I feel they did. That name makes a difference in marketing, branding strength and identity. And using the New York City name is of a much wider reach and building potential fan base.

It is a place were many people identify themselves to be from its metropolitan area by name if they didn't live within the city's five boroughs. For example, if I said I was from Paramus, New Jersey... would someone from Nebraska know where that really is? Would they know it's an NYC suburb? Unless they are very geographically savvy, very highly unlikely they would know. The New York Giants and New York Jets play just 5 miles from Manhattan. Yeah, it's across the Hudson River in East Rutherford, but so what? The two NFL teams have fans across southeastern New York State, in northern New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut. Marketing to the metropolitan area. Northern New Jersey simply doesn't have the marketing power to compete on its own. Look at the Devils. They won 3 Stanley Cups, but how many people actually have cared? Some do, but nowhere near as much to the Rangers. Just a fact.

That part of New Jersey will always be in New York City's shadow based on the city's size and market. Just how it is. Much like how southern New Jersey is mainly marketed and linked to Philadelphia.

We could argue the Philadelphia Union should rebrand too since that MLS team doesn't technically play in Philadelphia and is in Chester, Pennsylvania. I know, same state but not in that city it brands to.

If the Red Bulls could have built a stadium within New York City, I'm very sure they would have. Same with the Giants and Jets. But it didn't happen. But they are not obligated to go with a New Jersey name. And if you are trying to broaden your brand reach as much as you can, would you be confident enough corporate sponsors would be on board with that New Jersey identity? Would there be enough New Jersey based fans to support a franchise? The Devils have survived long enough to have a fan base and still be in Newark, New Jersey... they never have been a New York City team and never will be as such. But as we know, they have to live with being in NYC's shadow from a market share standpoint. Same hate it, some don't care. The Nets weren't even relevant in New Jersey. In 2002 and 2003, some fans jumped on the bandwagon, but once the team fell back to mediocrity, well, you saw how much they were supported.

The Red Bulls are the original MLS team to the New York City area market. Note I said area. Because that's what leagues are thinking about... markets. Soccer fans that have been supporting that franchise understand this. When NYCFC came into existence, I get why such an argument you made was raised. But remember the mindset of those in charge of the MLS marketing department in what would they would want. Appeal to the whole large market that northern New Jersey is PART OF or try to do it as a separate one? Brooklyn only can do just so much and you see how that's not working for the Nets. And the Islanders have a mammoth uphill climb if they even think they can put a dent into the Rangers home territory. And that's despite them having that "New York" name for their team.

If you don't want the New York name for the Red Bulls franchise, then going back to simply the MetroStars is the only way to satisfy as many people as possible without the "New York" in the name.

Actually, "Brooklyn" is working just fine for the Nets. When they're not drawing well, it's because they suck. But they're still selling a metric ton of merchandise.

Personally, I think the MetroStars forfeited their right to use "New York" when they gave the city a big middle finger. They wanted to chase the soccer mom market in New Jersey. Which is a legitimate choice, but the choice they made. They can try to reclaim it now, but it's just posing.

Actually, no.

The Cosmos do play outside New York City - they play on Long Island, at Hofstra University's stadium.

They never had an opportunity to share a stadium with the Red Bulls - Red Bull wouldn't have rented to them.

And finally, the notion of a Flushing Meadows soccer stadium is dead. The Cosmos are now trying to build a stadium in Nassau County, just over the Queens border. Not far from Hofstra, actually.

Actually, "Brooklyn" is working just fine for the Nets. When they're not drawing well, it's because they suck. But they're still selling a metric ton of merchandise.

Personally, I think the MetroStars forfeited their right to use "New York" when they gave the city a big middle finger. They wanted to chase the soccer mom market in New Jersey. Which is a legitimate choice, but the choice they made. They can try to reclaim it now, but it's just posing.

Actually, no.

The Cosmos do play outside New York City - they play on Long Island, at Hofstra University's stadium.

They never had an opportunity to share a stadium with the Red Bulls - Red Bull wouldn't have rented to them.

And finally, the notion of a Flushing Meadows soccer stadium is dead. The Cosmos are now trying to build a stadium in Nassau County, just over the Queens border. Not far from Hofstra, actually.

Ok. I knew they were still trying to build a stadium in the greater NYC area. For some reason I was thinking it was nearer to Arthur Ashe Stadium as opposed to Belmont Park.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived