Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I look at it, it appears that they are basing the new logo and it's history on this graphic at nhluniforms.com.

MapleLeafs11.png

It's a huge step in the right direction and Andrew has to be commended for the tremendous resource that he provides, but that logo is not entirely accurate for 1938. It's really just the 1963 logo with the outline removed.

The 1938 logo actually dates back to 1934. As seen here on a special uniform that King Clancy wore for a single period in a game against the Rangers.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.ca/2011/03/1934-toronto-maple-leafs-st-patricks.html

6220250113_6f10b0e00d.jpg

On 1/31/2016 at 6:56 PM, uniformity said:

and I thought I should post this again. This is a more accurate depiction of the 1938 Leafs crest:

leafs34logo.png

While we're at it, MEARS just put up for auction this 1959 photo of the white version.

95769a_lg.jpeg

1959 Dave Creighton Toronto Maple Leafs 5" x 7" Original Photo

38 minutes ago, charger77 said:

Any word on an official announcement?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/02/02/maple-leafs-to-unveil-new-logo-tonight.html

The Maple Leafs will unveil a new logo at 9:30 p.m. tonight following their game in Boston against the Bruins.

The logo has not undergone any big changes since 1970.

So will it be a totally new design or simply a throwback?

Fans took to Twitter to share their thoughts, with some hoping the new logo wouldn’t stray too far from the sacred blue and white maple leaf.

The unveiling will happen on The Leafs: Blueprint on TSN4. The new logo is planned to coincide with the team’s centennial season next year.

The 2016-17 campaign will also mark the NHL’s 100th season.

12 hours ago, uniformity said:

The more I look at it, it appears that they are basing the new logo and it's history on this graphic at nhluniforms.com.

MapleLeafs11.png

It's a huge step in the right direction and Andrew has to be commended for the tremendous resource that he provides, but that logo is not entirely accurate for 1938. It's really just the 1963 logo with the outline removed.

The 1938 logo actually dates back to 1934. As seen here on a special uniform that King Clancy wore for a single period in a game against the Rangers.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.ca/2011/03/1934-toronto-maple-leafs-st-patricks.html

6220250113_6f10b0e00d.jpg

Just realized that the veins go all the way through the crest in this one.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

20 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It seems like they're going to be doing more to the 1938 logo than slapping a new wordmark on it.

I just hope it's enough to differentiate it from the 1938 logo, the Iceletics article feel like it's not that far off.

" It's modeled on the leaf that was introduced in 1938 minus the double outline that was added in the the 1960s — the logo we all know well from the third jersey the Leafs wore from 2000 to 2011."

19 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I think you are confused...

Just wait until the Leafs new logo comes out tomorrow.

You compared what I had said to the Jays re-branding in 2004, which isn't at all relevant to my point of a logo evolving with time, not devolving backwards.

banners

3 minutes ago, DAKINS24 said:

You compared what I had said to the Jays re-branding in 2004, which isn't at all relevant to my point of a logo evolving with time, not devolving backwards.

You assume returning to an older logo (even though that's not what the Leafs are doing) is devolution. It isn't.

Everything I have read from those who have seen it say it's a return to the old logo style of the 1960's.  That regressing back to an old logo style.

This feels much like they are throwing the logo progression from The 1970's onward into the trash.  Sure, fans will love it, as it whitewashes over the "Ballard Leaf" era, but why pick just one?  Why not celebrate all eras of the Leaf logo?

banners

9 minutes ago, uniguy22 said:

I wonder if they will go back to the royal blue colour from the past or continue to use the darker blue? 

This has bugged me for a while. They wear royal helmets, pants and gloves, their jerseys are a little darker and their marchandise is all navy...

Archived