Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

10 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

buy it at the sabres store, while carrying out a new sabres jersey as well :-P

Fun fact, along with 5/7 sabres jerseys I own, both leafs jerseys I own are from the Sabres store hahaha

6 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Not buying a Sabres jersey until some combination of a return to royal blue, ditching the silver outlines, or a throwback to the red/black.

My last jersey was from the Sabres Store... a $20 white slug Drury after he got traded.

I would buy a Sabres sweater if they returned to royal and dropped the silver. Rivals yeah, but a sharp sweater is a sharp sweater.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Leafs don't wear navy -- they wear a shade of dark royal; even the merchandise, which tends to be darker than the on-ice stuff, is still lighter than "true" navy.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

10 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I'm sorry, but this is a complete and utter downgrade by the Leafs. Their logo didn't really need anything other than maybe a change of font, it was fine the way it was.

No, it wasn't. The current/soon to be former Ballard leaf is synonymous with a forty-nine year long Cup drought and Harold Ballard's tenure. Nothing that logo or that man represented is worth holding onto. 

"Complete and utter downgrade" and they didn't even resurrect an older logo. Instead they took older designs and gave them just enough of a modern facelift to work. Not every team can have modern for the sake of modern logos. Definitely not one of the oldest teams in the sport. Leave that nonsense to Nashville :P

At first I didn't think it was as good as the mockup Icethetics released but after getting used to the change and reading the about the subtle nods to the teams history, I am floored.  Please, please don't mess up the jerseys!  This is one of the most spectacular logo upgrades I've seen in a while.

8 minutes ago, BigBubba said:

The Leafs don't wear navy -- they wear a shade of dark royal; even the merchandise, which tends to be darker than the on-ice stuff, is still lighter than "true" navy.

Just three examples of what I'm used to see. I know that they wear royal and have always seen the Leafs in dark royal jerseys with regular royal helmets, pants and gloves. These navy items just don't feel right...

Official New Era hat

http://m.lids.ca/NHL/Toronto-Maple-Leafs/20534406

New Era Knit

http://nhl.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productImages%2F_2125000%2Fff_2125106_xl.jpg&w=400

Reebok hoodie

http://nhl.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productImages/_1614000/ff_1614385_xl.jpg&w=245

I don't mind navy merchandise. It does sell, so I get why they do it. They've figured out what the Bills, Sabres, and Oilers (for a time) didn't. That you don't need to tarnish the uniforms with navy to sell navy gear.

31 minutes ago, Orgo said:

b77868b852f59017513c.jpg

The shape of merch to come.

Damn I kind of like that and I love that the Leafs ignored calls to fully modernise and follow modern design rules. This logo may not scale as well with all those details but who cares. It's going to look great on their uniforms and the Leafs are going to sell a tonne of them next season.

The only thing I hope for now is that they research their logos from 1934-1963 extremely well and authentically recreate them. It is a real pet peeve of mine to see so many original six teams with inauthentic looking throwbacks. The original Leafs crests were stunning on those old uniforms. They need to do it right.

4 minutes ago, MEANS said:

on items such as sweatshirts a sports apparel company may not stock as many colors as say a tee shirt, so with teams like the Leafs you see navy sometimes used. 

It seems like they always go with navy over royal for the Leafs and Habs thought (even when royal is available like the Rangers and Lightning stuff). Kinda weird considering that they both wear royal accessories on the ice which matches perfectly with their uniforms...

So this is actually happening...

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

Can you really knockoff a knockoff?

A knockoff of your own logo, no less?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

31 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, it wasn't. The current/soon to be former Ballard leaf is synonymous with a forty-nine year long Cup drought and Harold Ballard's tenure. Nothing that logo or that man represented is worth holding onto. 

"Complete and utter downgrade" and they didn't even resurrect an older logo. Instead they took older designs and gave them just enough of a modern facelift to work. Not every team can have modern for the sake of modern logos. Definitely not one of the oldest teams in the sport. Leave that nonsense to Nashville :P

I wouldn't call the Ballard leaf "modern for the sake of modern." It was simple, crisp, classic and iconic. There's a reason it lasted for almost 50 years with only minor tweaks here and there. The new leaf looks like a bloated and wrinkly mess by comparison.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived