Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

6 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

When I first saw the logo I really liked it.

But the more I look at it the more I don't like it.  It just feels off to me.   The shape looks wrong and the points seem oddly rendered.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I like the Ballard Leaf better as a logo for a sports team.

The throwback logos always had just enough of a weird shape to them to make me uneasy about adopting them full time. 

The new logo, to me, captures the spirit of those logos while fixing the proportional issues.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The throwback logos always had just enough of a weird shape to them to make me uneasy about adopting them full time. 

The new logo, to me, captures the spirit of those logos while fixing the proportional issues.

I think its the individual points on the leaf.  The are just too big.  It looks more like a pot leaf to me.

A real maple leaf:

HeAx7o0.png

6 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I think its the individual points on the leaf.  The are just too big.  It looks more like a pot leaf to me.

A real maple leaf:

HeAx7o0.png

It's a logo. Not an actual, literal depiction.

That aside? It still looks more like an actual leaf than the Ballard version.

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's a logo. Not an actual, literal depiction.

That aside? It still looks more like an actual leaf than the Ballard version.

I get that, but it still looks more like a pot leaf than a maple leaf.  Especially for an illustration.

marijuana-leaf_23-2147501610.jpg

2 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I get that, but it still looks more like a pot leaf than a maple leaf.  Especially for an illustration.

I'm not seeing a pot leaf at all. A pot leaf has very thin segments. A pot leaf has between 7-9 thin segments. The new Leafs logo has three prominent segments connected to a single base. Which is very maple leaf-esque.

5 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Just look at the graphic above.  Not the amount of leafs but the points on each one.

That's stretching it because the actual shapes aren't even close. If the shapes aren't close? The finer details aren't going to fill in the gap.

3 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

If we're going to be Literal Larrys here then maple leaves aren't blue either

Its not about being literal.  Its about looking like something else.

If a team was named the Lions and they came out with a logo with Tiger stripes, it would be the same situation.  Obviously more dramatic but still the same ballpark.

Not at all. You've found finer details on one depiction of a pot leaf that is similar to a finer detail on the new Maple Leafs logo. Which is irrelevant because the general shape/profile between the two are incredibly different.

Mountains out of molehills and all of that.

35 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

A real maple leaf:

HeAx7o0.png

leafs smokin dope.jpg

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

First of all, I think that from an execution standpoint, it's a success. It's a tasteful update, but that's what it is: an update from an era most fans have no connection with.

One of my big reproach to the whole marketing of the Leafs is that they are over-marketing successes/memories that are way too old. (I know, there's nothing much to celebrate in recent years).

I understand that the whole professional sports business is milking the "retro" thing, so why not be bold and different to usher this team into a promising future?

I always thought that the previous Marlies logo, with the old style leaf and a modern looking shield and wordmark, was a great way to modernize their look.

I'm just glad I could start wearing my 2005 ALT jersey again and look like I got my hands on the new shirt...

I agree 100% with you Frenchie.

I appreciate Shanahan's intentions with this, but to me it's just one more example of MLS&E riding the coat-tails of previous Leafs success into its money-vaults.

I can also appreciate the anti-Ballard sentiments towards the current crest, but it's also the crest of some all-time Leafs favourites such as Sittler, McDonald, Joseph, Belfour,

Sundin, Henderson, Clark, Gilmore, etc.

I really expected an all-new design that gave a nod to all of the previous eras...not basically a tracing of an old logo that has little or no meaning to a new generation of fans.

...But, just watch...a team that will have missed 10 of the last 11 playoff seasons will lead the league in merch sales next year because of this "new" logo...

un-freakin'-believable.

Whatever their crest is, MLS&E won't be getting any money from this Leafs fan until they start putting a consistent winner on the ice.

7 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

But the new Leafs logo looks more like a pot leaf than a Maple Leaf.

It does not. Magnus had to add two additional segments to get it to come close to looking like a pot leaf. Again, mountains out of molehills.

It also looks more like a maple leaf than the Ballard version did/does.

Whatever. You always have the contrarian vote when a team pulls off a rebrand like this. Same thing happened with the Blue Jays.

5 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

I agree 100% with you Frenchie.

I appreciate Shanahan's intentions with this, but to me it's just one more example of MLS&E riding the coat-tails of previous Leafs success into its money-vaults.

I can also appreciate the anti-Ballard sentiments towards the current crest, but it's also the crest of some all-time Leafs favourites such as Sittler, McDonald, Joseph, Belfour,

Sundin, Henderson, Clark, Gilmore, etc.

I really expected an all-new design that gave a nod to all of the previous eras...not basically a tracing of an old logo that has little or no meaning to a new generation of fans.

...But, just watch...a team that will have missed 10 of the last 11 playoff seasons will lead the league in merch sales next year because of this "new" logo...un-freakin'-believable.

Whatever their crest is, MLS&E won't be getting any money from this Leafs fan until they start putting a consistent winner on the ice.

:rolleyes: 

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I actually don't smoke and hate pot culture, especially out here in Colorado.

But the new Leafs logo looks more like a pot leaf than a Maple Leaf.

Look at all them pot leaves

Image result for maple leafImage result for maple leafImage result for maple leafImage result for maple leaf

A maple leaf isn't one determined shape. It looks nothing like a pot leaf.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Archived