Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

The Ballard leaf looks more like the traditional Maple leaf.  Just look at the flag, the coins, etc.

The new leaf looks like a pot leaf.  Not sure why you guys are getting offended by that but its true.

The Ballard leaf took the stylized flag leaf and stylized it another step further. To a point that it no longer actually resembles the source material. It's just a blocky shape.

And no. It doesn't resemble a pot leaf. It does. In your opinion. Which is fine. It's my opinion that your opinion is wrong, stretching to make an argument where there isn't one. That is also fine. Welcome to discussion and a difference of opinion. 

I also maintain that this parallels the Blue Jays' rebrand a few years back.

Updating a beloved older logo? Check.

Mostly positive response? Check.

Contrarians who insist on singing the praises of the previous, widely disliked, logo or just insisting on taking the team to task for having the nerve to not kowtow to their modernist sensibilities ("how dare they not go with something entirely new! They should look forward because evolution and future and whatever!")? Check.

7 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Ballard leaf took the stylized flag leaf and stylized it another step further. To a point that it no longer actually resembles the source material. It's just a blocky shape.

And no. It doesn't resemble a pot leaf. It does. In your opinion. Which is fine. It's my opinion that your opinion is wrong, stretching to make an argument where there isn't one. That is also fine. Welcome to discussion and a difference of opinion. 

I also maintain that this parallels the Blue Jays' rebrand a few years back.

Updating a beloved older logo? Check.

Mostly positive response? Check.

Contrarians who insist on singing the praises of the previous, widely disliked, logo or just insisting on taking the team to task for having the nerve to not kowtow to their modernist sensibilities ("how dare they not go with something entirely new! They should look forward because evolution and future and whatever!")? Check.

Listen, I get that you LOVE this new logo.  That's fine.

But to say it looks more like a traditional maple leaf than the Ballard leaf is just wrong.   

Show this logo and the ballard logo to anybody and I guarantee you that the vast majority pick the ballard leaf as being closer to a real maple leaf.

As far as the Blue Jays parallels, they are there but the Jays did a much better job rendering their updated look.  Hell even look at the Jays logo, and now tell me which maple leaf logo more closely matches the one on the Jays logo.

I thought the current uniform was as close to perfection as possible... I can't wait to buy the new one!

Hopefully there are not shoulder patches on the new jerseys because I hate the crappy quality of the shoulder patches that are put on today's replicas. 

Can't way to see Stamkos, Nylander, Kapanen and Marner in them in the not too distant future!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

This is pretty much a perfect look for the Leafs. Hockey is a sport where you can get away with more detailed logos and if there’s any team in this league that should have a classy, retro-inspired logo, it should be the Leafs.

A much, much better fit IMO for the franchise than the Ballard leaf ever was.

6fQjS3M.png

Both logos are stylised renderings of a maple leaf at the end of the day. In that sense, neither does a better job than the other. They're both fine.

But in my time, I've seen more maple leaves that look like the new logo than I have the Ballard leaf. The pot leaf comparison is a biiiit of a stretch if you ask me.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

2 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Listen, i get that you LOVE this new logo.  That's fine.

:rolleyes:

I get you're determined to make your "pot leaf!" comparison stick by emphasizing smaller details and ignoring the actual shape of the logo and that's fine. 

See? That was easy. If you're going to accuse me of being a homer? I can just as easily make the opposite argument. That you just want to tear this down and the pot leaf thing is the wagon you've decided to jump on. 

3 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

But to say it looks more like a traditional maple leaf than the Ballard leaf is just wrong.   

Show this logo and the ballard logo to anybody and I guarantee you that the vast majority pick the ballard leaf as being closer to a real maple leaf.

Just wrong? Nope, sorry. Maybe you see the Ballard leaf as closer. That's your opinion. Not a fact. One I disagree with. 

Now my take is an opinion as well, and like you I've been guilty as presenting it as fact. 

If we were to conduct your study though? I feel pretty confident about my chances. Most people are aware that maple leaves aren't geometrically perfect and squared off in shape.

6 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

As far as the Blue Jays parallels, they are there but the Jays did a much better job rendering their updated look.

Each team did the same thing. It's your opinion that the Jays did it better. Not a fact. 

Thats neither here nor there though. My point is more about reactions. Any time a team's rebrand is widely accepted (and you may not like it, but this rebrand has been widely celebrated by Leafs fans)? You have people who just want to be "that guy" who offers a dissenting opinion. You see it every time a team pulls off a successful and widely celebrated rebrand.

10 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:
11 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

If you think the Jays did a great job with their updated logo, why are you not pissed with how they rendered the leaf??

The Jays' leaf is based on the leaf on the flag. Which is a stylized depiction of a maple leaf. Simplified, but still clear enough in its shape.

The Ballard leaf took that stylized and simple design and stylized it further. It's actually pretty far removed from the Jays'/flag leaf with its overly 70s blockiness. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

:rolleyes:

I get you're determined to make your "pot leaf!" comparison stick by emphasizing smaller details and ignoring the actual shape of the logo and that's fine. 

See? That was easy. If you're going to accuse me of being a homer? I can just as easily make the opposite argument. That you just want to tear this down and the pot leaf thing is the wagon you've decided to jump on. 

Just wrong? Nope, sorry. Maybe you see the Ballard leaf as closer. That's your opinion. Not a fact. One I disagree with. 

Now my take is an opinion as well, and like you I've been guilty as presenting it as fact. 

If we were to conduct your study though? I feel pretty confident about my chances. Most people are aware that maple leaves aren't geometrically perfect and squared off in shape.

Each team did the same thing. It's your opinion that the Jays did it better. Not a fact. 

Thats neither here nor there though. My point is more about reactions. Any time a team's rebrand is widely accepted (and you may not like it, but this rebrand has been widely celebrated by Leafs fans)? You have people who just want to be "that guy" who offers a dissenting opinion. You see it every time a team pulls off a successful and widely celebrated rebrand.

I don't care if this gets torn down.  I stated I liked it, wanted to like it, then just couldn't after looking at the logo closely.  I didn't just form a snap judgement because it was new.  

Look at anything that is used a maple leaf logo and it 100% looks more like the ballard leaf.  

That's cool that Toronto fans love it, I have to take your word on that, but it doesn't mean its a perfect logo.

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

It doesn't look anything like a pot leaf (take it from someone who knows about these things) it looks like a maple leaf and I really like it.

This is basically this beauty of a comparison "LOLZSZSS WHY DOES tOSU HAVE POT LEAVES ON HLMETS?!?!?!?!zomgg!!!!lolololoLOLOLZROFLCOPTER"

buckeyeleaves_reversed.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, McCarthy said:

This is basically this beauty of a comparison "LOLZSZSS WHY DOES tOSU HAVE POT LEAVES ON HLMETS?!?!?!?!zomgg!!!!lolololoLOLOLZROFLCOPTER"

buckeyeleaves_reversed.jpg

A kid in my High School got kicked out of school one day for wearing an OSU shirt because the teacher thought it was a pot leaf.

Wait, are you enhancing my argument too?

I'd get all the "it looks like a pot leaf" nonsense if we were on some "recipes for guys that will never get a woman" forum....actually, now that I look around...OK bad example. I'd get all the "it looks like a pot leaf" nonsense anywhere but a logos and uniforms forum. Are they both leafs? Yes. Do they share common elements? Yes? Do they look enough alike to confuse one for the other? Not even close. 

BB52Big.jpg

I don't care if this gets torn down.  I stated I liked it, wanted to like it, then just couldn't after looking at the logo closely.  I didn't just form a snap judgement because it was new.  

Look at anything that is used a maple leaf logo and it 100% looks more like the ballard leaf.  

That's cool that Toronto fans love it, I have to take your word on that, but it doesn't mean its a perfect logo.

I didn't make a snap judgement either. In fact I was bit worried it would be a bit too much like the Icethetics mockup. 

I like it because it's more proportionally balanced than either the Icethetics mockup or the older designs that it's based off of. I like it because it took well-liked and popular older logos and modernized them just enough to work today.

In short? I like it because I feel it's a good logo.

I just find your pot leaf comparison lacking. The general shape of the logo and the general shape of a pot leaf are very different. That kills the comparison right there for me. Magnus (who never misses a chance to kick the Leafs fwiw) had to add to more segments to the thing to even get it into pot leaf territory.

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

A kid in my High School got kicked out of school one day for wearing an OSU shirt because the teacher thought it was a pot leaf.

No one is "enhancing" your argument. What we're doing is destroying your argument. 

BB52Big.jpg

No I'm saying it's a sophomoric comparison that a high school student would find funny. And the Ohio State sticker looks way more like a pot leaf than the new maple leaf. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived