Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

11 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

This bally-hoo over a new logo was much to do about nothing. It's not new.

We've seen this logo before and just recently, on the Leafs' 1998-2011 Alts, according to the CC archives.

This newest version only differs by having the right amount of veins. (that's so lame)

At least Ballard's group had the balls to come up with something progressive.

For those of you who LOVE this "new" logo, MLS&E apparently already has stuff out there for you to buy.

So, open up you wallets and fill yer drawers!

Poor old MLS&E could really use some more of your hard-earned Leafs' money to help fund their new roof-canopy, on their BMO field for their soccer team!

Giddy-up!!

Well, this is almost iambic pentameter.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

The shape of the leaf is 100X better than what they released...

I am not talking about the extra fluff and ice texture, the outline of the leaf is perfect.

It's too realistic to form an effective logo.  Every chip and imperfection is represented when there's no need for it.  As for the overall shape?  It too is vastly inferior, as it's too wide and does not do a good job at representing the history of one of the league's oldest franchises...

While the leaf sparky put out is nice, it's far too, well, leafy. It looks as brittle and flimsy as an actual leaf. (Yes, I know, insert joke here.)

The logo the Maple Leafs put out is damn near perfect. This might actually get me to pull the trigger on a Leafs sweater that I, as a hockey fan, have wanted in my collection for so long.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This is essentially the logo update the Leafs should have gotten in the late 60s or early 70s.  I think the '67 leaf was cool as a limited-time thing, given the circumstances.  Then, however, they took a hard left instead of veering back onto the path that they were on before.  This is just the Leafs getting back on track with how they should have looked all along.  All of the Original 6 teams have tweaked their logos through the years; the Bruins did it within the last ten years.

None of these work, simple as that.

NewLeaf2.png

NewLeaf.png

NewLeafScript.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

18 minutes ago, nash61 said:

NewLeaf2.png

NewLeaf.png

NewLeafScript.png

Disagree.  

Those all look better than what they just released.  

I think people that like the new logo are blinded by nostalgia.  It's really not a good rendering at all. 

We've gone too long without some Ken Wregget.  Let's do something about that.

wregget.jpgwregget80.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

NewLeaf2.png

NewLeaf.png

NewLeafScript.png

You're right.  The leaf they chose was so much better.   

The Ballard Leaf is even better than those, because it has a bigger surface for the text.  As much as I like the shape of that bottom leaf, it wouldn't work for the Leafs. 

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Ehhhhhh. I really appreciate the craftsmanship but I'm still just not feeling it. A simpler leaf is just more striking and symbolic to me, I guess.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you.  I like a simple, iconic design (which may be why my personal favorite is the 60s leaf).  

But in this case, in the context of the team's history, the modernized classic leaf is perfect. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

You're right.  The leaf they chose was so much better.   

The Ballard Leaf is even better than those, because it has a bigger surface for the text.  As much as I like the shape of that bottom leaf, it wouldn't work for the Leafs. 

I think some more cleaning up needs to be done for sure (particularly bridging some of the gaps by the T and O in TORONTO with some blue fill to maximize text space), but the new leaf looks a bit like a feather to me and has so many points that its simplicity is almost lost in the busy outer edge and extraneous veins.. I also find the newer one a bit too tall and thin.. I think it's redeemed by limiting the gaps between the upper portions of the leaf to increase text area, but that could be remedied on the Stanley leaf as well.. 

6 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I think people that like the new logo are blinded by nostalgia.  It's really not a good rendering at all. 

Oh come on now...  I usually agree with most of your opinions on here but to say that nostalgia is the only reason people like the new logo is ridiculous.  While most sports logo enthusiasts and Leafs fans have been clamouring for a return to the 1938 or 1963 design, they are quick to point out their many flaws like the off-centre text, poor kerning and inability of the design elements to breathe.  Mean's design fixed all those problems, improved the overall shape and added a bunch of cool details that honoured the rich history of the franchise.  A poor rendering?  I know it's subjective but I don't see any faults in the rendering what so ever.  Mean's knocked it out of the park.

24 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Oh come on now...  I usually agree with most of your opinions on here but to say that nostalgia is the only reason people like the new logo is ridiculous.  While most sports logo enthusiasts and Leafs fans have been clamouring for a return to the 1938 or 1963 design, they are quick to point out their many flaws like the off-centre text, poor kerning and inability of the design elements to breathe.  Mean's design fixed all those problems, improved the overall shape and added a bunch of cool details that honoured the rich history of the franchise.  A poor rendering?  I know it's subjective but I don't see any faults in the rendering what so ever.  Mean's knocked it out of the park.

I honestly think if this was a brand new design the reaction would have been far far worse.  People like it because it is the old logo but tweaked.   The  overall shape and feel of the logo is pretty weak.

I love the new text and of course the fixed kerning, but the leaf is just poor, IMO.

I think they could have created something much nicer.  

I am not just being a contrarian either.  I like Leafs and root for them and I really wanted to like this logo but just can't.  Its simply not that good.

18 minutes ago, Morgo said:

When someone posts a Leafs concept that is actually better than what was released, I'll listen to the criticisms against it.

What I just posted is far better than what they released. 

It removes the poorly render, overly computerized veins.  It also removes the un-maple leaf like jaggedness.

Archived