Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

What I just posted is far better than what they released. 

It removes the poorly render, overly computerized veins.  It also removes the un-maple leaf like jaggedness.

No, it's not.  I could live with removing the veins, but you added a pointless and ugly outline that clutters the design.  

No leaf that complicated should have an outline. That only works for simple shapes which need a little complexity. 

36 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No, it's not.  I could live with removing the veins, but you added a pointless and ugly outline that clutters the design.  

No leaf that complicated should have an outline. That only works for simple shapes which need a little complexity. 

Strongly disagree.  The outlines get rid of the god awful jagged rendering job.

Don't worry.  I know I won't change anybodies minds here, you guys are all fully entrenched and won't admit when you are wrong.  The facts are that the leaf they just realized isn't good.  It looks overly computerized and I guarantee we see a change within 10 years.

It's funny how defensive several of the Leafs fans are at any criticism of the new logo, even when said criticism is accompanied by perfectly defensible points (i.e. more than just "it looks like pot lol".)

There's plenty of reasons to like the new logo, and there's just as many valid reasons to think that it could have been done better. We're getting close to the point where dissenting opinions are simply being dismissed by the mob.

FWIW, IMO the concept without the veins is a major improvement.  The top sets of veins don't bother me too much, but I really dislike the "scroll" under the LEAFS.  It looks more like a true "icon" without the veins.  "Stronger" if you will.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

Don't worry.  I know I won't change anybodies minds here, you guys are all fully entrenched and won't admit when you are wrong.  The facts are that the leaf they just realized isn't good.  It looks overly computerized and I guarantee we see a change within 10 years.

wow

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

The lack of self awareness in this post is astounding.  You guarantee it will change in 10 years?  The team that kept a logo, most of the fan-base didn't like, for over 40 years is suddenly going to ditch their new mark?  One that has received near universal acclaim?  Not likely

How does the 'jaggedness' of the shape equate to a bad render?  It's a leaf, it's supposed to jagged...  Not outlined in unnecessary, razor thin strokes that muddle up the overall shape.

4 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The lack of self awareness in this post is astounding.  You guarantee it will change in 10 years?  The team that kept a logo, most of the fan-base didn't like, for over 40 years is suddenly going to ditch their new mark?  One that has received near universal acclaim?  Not likely

How does the 'jaggedness' of the shape equate to a bad render?  It's a leaf, it's supposed to jagged...  Not outlined in unnecessary, razor thin strokes that muddle up the overall shape.

Umm you realize I went from liking it to not right?  I changed my opinion when I really studied the logo.

It has universal acclaim because its like the old logo.  Not because it is good.  

The render is actually really, really poor when you look at it.  The veins are terrible vector shapes, the jagged leafs have no flow and the overall shape is awkward and doesn't resemble a real maple leaf.

13 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

The render is actually really, really poor when you look at it.  The veins are terrible vector shapes, the jagged leafs have no flow and the overall shape is awkward and doesn't resemble a real maple leaf.

The entirety of the old logo was a terrible vector shape. It's a stylized maple leaf, it's not supposed to be photorealistic. It looks great, it looks like a maple leaf logo. Not some abstract, blocky crap.

28 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Umm you realize I went from liking it to not right?  I changed my opinion when I really studied the logo.

It has universal acclaim because its like the old logo.  Not because it is good.  

It may not resemble a sugar maple leaf which is what I think you're referring to, but it does look pretty close to something like a silver maple leaf. There isn't really one maple leaf shape. 

maple.jpg

I think the real problem here is that CreamSoda thinks he's right. No one is right! Design is subjective! Personally, I think the new logo is gorgeous, best they've ever had, and I never had any real problems with the Ballard Leaf. But that doesn't mean I'm right, and that doesn't mean anyone who disagrees is wrong.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

4 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

No I didn't but it's telling you are the only one to change your mind so suddenly.  The more I look at the new logo, the better it looks and I can't for life of me understand the reasoning for a flip-flop like that.  The shape is elegant and the veins are beautifully rendered with subtle nods to the team's history.  You are more than entitled to your opinion but I'm in full disagreement when you say it's a "bad render."

CreamSoda. The problem is that you keep insisting your opinion is fact.

You're either that full of yourself, entirely oblivious to your fellow posters, or willfully trolling.

Regardless? It's behaviour you shouldn't be doubling down on.

I would suggest that both sides of this, uh, debate could do less "I speak for the trees majority" and "you're all just brainwashed".  Lots less.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

No I didn't but it's telling you are the only one to change your mind so suddenly.  The more I look at the new logo, the better it looks and can't for life of me understand the reasoning for a flip-flop like that.  The shape is elegant and the veins are beautifully rendered with subtle nods to the team's history.  You are more than entitled to your opinion but I'm in full disagreement when you say it's a "bad render."

I liked it when it first came out.  Then when I looked at it the next morning it just didn't sit well with me.  

In my opinion, not a fact, the old 1960s logo is better.  This new rendering is trying to look vintage but is so obviously computer generated it sticks out.  

I am glad you guys like it, and I am sure MLSE does too, but I honestly think nostalgia glasses are blinding a lot of opinions here.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

CreamSoda. The problem is that you keep insisting your opinion is fact.

You're either that full of yourself, entirely oblivious to your fellow posters, or willfully trolling.

Regardless? It's behaviour you shouldn't be doubling down on.

I am stating my opinion on the logo.   Just because the majority of responses are in favor of the logo doesn't mean my opinion is wrong...

I honestly didn't do this to troll but my simple take on the logo generated so much heat from Leafs fan I had to defend my reasons.  All I ever got in return was, "Nope Its perfect" and "All of Toronto Loves it."  Neither really adds to the DESIGN discussion of the logo.  Or my favorite, "The Ballard leaf was too stylized, this new leaf is perfect" followed by "Of course it doesn't look like a real leaf, it's stylized."

Again in my opinion, the Ballard leaf is a much stronger logo for a sports team and I think MLSE made a mistake trying to capitalize on the vintage TREND with this new logo.

Archived