Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

Sorry I know how to count, but can someone mockup or share examples of which design is the "35 point" leaf, and which are the other eras' leaves?

1938-1967

leafs-logo-evolution-590x327.jpg

It's always bugged me how the main site has the 1938-63 logo wrong. It's not simply the '60s leaf without the outline. It's an entirely different design.

broda_turk3.jpg

Now, I'm excited about the new logo. The current one is too corporate. The more detailed leaves have a more authentic, genuine feel. What I'm not as excited about are the new uniforms. As hockey week touched on, the Leafs have had the same socks stripes and hem stripes since, well ever (save for the '70s and '80s). I'm hoping that "new uniforms" just means the current template with a retro-looking maple leaf. Again, there's no need to try and re-invent the wheel.

Yep. The Leafs never worn anything that even remotely looks like the 63-67 logo in the previous era. The 38-63 era logo is an entirely different shape. Their crests were hand cut felt with thread outlines so each season might be a little different but the general shape is the same. They did appear to get fatter as the decades wore on.

This logo that I worked on is much closer to what the Leafs wore in the late 30s.

leafs34logo.png

112445a_lg.jpeg

We've got to get this on the mothership.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really liking Penumbra on the Ballard leaf. It feels stately and Original Six in a way that Kabel most certainly does not.

UwcLKRZ.jpg

Add some slight serifs to the stem of the leaf and make a T-leaf shoulder patch (like Brandon's concept) and that's a really solid set.

Yeah don't think just taking the Blue Jays' font is the best choice.

Go with traditional block text or, if executed properly, something similar to the Winter Classic set.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Doesn't feel like a sports logo to me.

It's the same logo they've had for 45 years, just with type that has a little more gravitas to it. It's the kind of thing you wouldn't even notice from afar, literally and figuratively, but it fixes a big problem all the same.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Doesn't feel like a sports logo to me.

It's the same logo they've had for 45 years, just with type that has a little more gravitas to it. It's the kind of thing you wouldn't even notice from afar, literally and figuratively, but it fixes a big problem all the same.

yea i think "doesn't look like a sports logo" is a compliment, especially with this brand. i don't know if that particular font is the best, but i do like the idea of using a spur serif.

i cant seem to leave this alone, so im proposing a new idea. maybe something that will work on the jerseys.

THMoNfn.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'm hoping for a maple leaf that's got some horrible gradient swoosh trails coming off of it as it swirls around inside of a roundel. Hopefully lots of piping and they infuse some sort of sponsor logo in there somewhere.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oh my goodness people stop trying to re-invent the wheel. The only thing the Leafs have ever needed was a maple leaf with their full name inside. Nothing more, nothing less. The 36 point leaf with updated lettering would be beautiful, and if not that then the '67 leaf. This shouldn't be that hard.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Oh my goodness people stop trying to re-invent the wheel. The only thing the Leafs have ever needed was a maple leaf with their full name inside. Nothing more, nothing less. The 36 point leaf with updated lettering would be beautiful, and if not that then the '67 leaf. This shouldn't be that hard.

its not people here who are enforcing changes, only speculation and some new ideas. something will be different because thats what the team wants to do. you're proposing the team go back to an older design but thats not going to happen. their entire history has seen an evolution of the logo towards a mark that is more and more minimal. and its been stated the mark will focus on "past present and future". its going to evolve into something new and i think thats what people here have put forth for the most part.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

In April of 2011, I posted this concept:

TOR-Home.png

TOR-Road.png

that is the simple direction i'd go with the logo.

classic leaf, modified text, properly centered. timeless look.

-edit- also, i deserve bonus points for reebok stealing my round-collar layout. i came up with it in 2011, and they're using it on the habs/bruins winter classic sweaters in 2016. boom. -/edit-

Some interesting tidbits from Morey Holzmen's great book Deceptions and Doublecross: How The NHL Conquered Hockey.

For one thing it seems that Charles Querrie was planning on renaming the St.Pats the Maple Leafs himself early in the 1926/27 season.

au6uj7.jpg

2rxxx51.jpg

Also it seems that Conn Smythe couldn't rename the team Maple Leafs so late in the season because it would have voided the contracts the players signed with the Toronto St.Patricks Hockey Club. So they officially kept the name St.Patricks for the entire 1926/27 season.

Despite that Smythe did change the teams uniforms featuring a leaf on the front foreshadowing the official name change next season.

2nqffxc.jpg

So going by that description it seems the uniform had a maple leaf above the word "Toronto". They mention how it looks like the 1924 Canadian Olympic sweater.

1924_Granites.jpg

So it would have looked like that only with TORONTO instead of CANADA and green on white rather than red on white.

The Catch of the Day!

Not a fan of the thin Northwestern stripes. I much prefer the simple pair of stripes. The primary is intriguing; what's the font?

I personally prefer the simple double-white stripe on blue background as well... but since the Coyotes dropped the one-color northwestern stripe, I dont think any NHL team currently uses that motif? Maybe the Leafs will look to fill that niche.

In April of 2011, I posted this concept:

TOR-Home.png

TOR-Road.png

that is the simple direction i'd go with the logo.

classic leaf, modified text, properly centered. timeless look.

-edit- also, i deserve bonus points for reebok stealing my round-collar layout. i came up with it in 2011, and they're using it on the habs/bruins winter classic sweaters in 2016. boom. -/edit-

I'd like to see the Leafs running with the sweater collars you see on the Habs and Bruins WC uniforms.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Archived