Toronto Maple Leafs to get new logo for 2016-2017 season

zigzag

Who here had the idea of using the TTC subway font to replace the Kabel on the typeface? I remember seeing them and thinking they're nice.

Either way I'll be broke next year picking up the old swag on clearance or a new authentic jersey, never mind the anniversary ones :(

I made a concept with the subway font spelling out "TORONTO" on the front back in maybe 2009 or 2010, but if you're thinking of a concept that had the typeface IN the maple leaf, then it might be a different one.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure whatevs... I'm sure if it tanks, they'll yank it after the centennial season.

For the record, I think this logo scuks...

Toronto_maple_leafs_logo_1966.gif

Looks like 5yr old trying to draw the real one.

Word of note: They had better not screw this up. We're not talking the Marlins or Clippers here, we're talking Canada's most popular team, a cornerstone of the entire hockey universe.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I would be shocked, shocked if this striping pattern went away

ccm-s100-toronto-maple-leafs-hockey-sock

It's been on the socks for how long? It's the stripe of the 67 jersey, it's the basis of their Winter Classic throwback/alternate, it's been all over and rarely noticed.

I'd think if there was something new (which with the Leafs, on a 100th anniversary, isn't going to be progressive. It'll be fauxback-esque) and I think it'll be based around this.

As for the logo, I'd think it's some mix of the 35 point leaf and the 67 leaf, perhaps streamlined. I'd expect blank logos on the shoulders.

The socks have been a part of the uniform (striping unchanged) since I believe the 30s if not earlier. Ithe was the basis for the 67 striping pattern. And personally I'd love to see the winter classic become the new base for a new home/road set. Retro looks are the best in my opinion, just need to cut the last ties from the Ballard era

As someone who doesn't follow hockey, dropping the wordmark from the leaf feels like the obvious thing to do -- they have that much brand recognition.

Well, that's why you're someone who doesn't follow hockey.

This is all I'd do:

XAbfuwO.jpg

Love the font choice, but the blocky 70s leaf needs to go. I'd stick that font in either an entirely new leaf design or a streamlined version of the classic 35-point design.

As someone who doesn't follow hockey, dropping the wordmark from the leaf feels like the obvious thing to do -- they have that much brand recognition.

A generic maple leaf is not the way to go. Yes the Leafs have brand recognition. I don't know if you've ever been to Canada though, because the Leafs aren't exactly the only thing with a maple leaf in their branding, and dropping the wordmark from their logo would not help with that.

but how many blue/white maple leafs do you see? the Cowboys make a star work in Texas, the Leafs could do the same with their logo

Good for Dallas.

The Leafs have had some version of the "TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS" text in their primary for as long as they've been the Maple Leafs. I'm fine with a plain leaf, or even a leaf with a block "T," for alternate purposes. The primary should include the full text though. The leafs have tweaked their design through the years, but the text inside the leaf has been the one constant. It's part of the brand.

Sure whatevs... I'm sure if it tanks, they'll yank it after the centennial season.

Word of note: They had better not screw this up. We're not talking the Marlins or Clippers here, we're talking Canada's most popular team, a cornerstone of the entire hockey universe.

Are you sure everyone in Canada feels that way ??

I'm no font expert, but is this the Gothic font or a relative of it?

Gotham, you mean? I believe it's a variant on Futura.

imagfuturamedium.gif

The R, P, G, and K in particular look different.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Love the font choice, but the blocky 70s leaf needs to go. I'd stick that font in either an entirely new leaf design or a streamlined version of the classic 35-point design.

The geometric nature of the typeface would clash with anything more complex than the Ballard leaf, which at this point is what most everyone has grown up with.

Credit where it's due to the HFBoards idiots, one guy said they should use the 35-point leaf and another guy suggested that would mean using Nazem Kadri. I laughed and laughed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm no font expert, but is this the Gothic font or a relative of it?

Gotham, you mean? I believe it's a variant on Futura.

imagfuturamedium.gif

The R, P, G, and K in particular look different.

I believe he was referring to Century Gothic, which is similar to Futura.

font21.jpg

As for the new logo, if it's anything more than a tweak it combination of previous logo(s), this could go downhill quickly.

Are you sure everyone in Canada feels that way ??

I'm sure that the population of Maple Leaf fans is larger than any other single Canadian franchise, yes I do feel that way. I'm not talking a regional representation poll, like the House of Commons... I'm talking person to person.

May sound silly..

I never saw the need to include the word "maple leafs" on a maple leaf logo.

I'd only put a big "TORONTO" in it.

I like that.

@2001mark

He didn't say "everyone in Canada". "Most popular" does not mean everyone.

Maybe, but there is something i don't understand : Toronto's logo is the same as the leaf on the canadian flag, and they are even called maple leafs, how did they get permission to brand themselves like that, like they are canada's team in the NHL ? What if an american team had an flag on the front of their jersey and called themselves stars and stripes or something like that. i would think other fans from elsewhere would get pretty mad.

Why is the logo lifted straight from the Canada flag ?

Maybe, but there is something i don't understand : Toronto's logo is the same as the leaf on the canadian flag, and they are even called maple leafs, how did they get permission to brand themselves like that, like they are canada's team in the NHL ? What if an american team had an flag on the front of their jersey and called themselves stars and stripes or something like that. i would think other fans from elsewhere would get pretty mad.

Like the Patriots? Or to. Lesser extent Nationals? I couldn't care less.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Canada flag isn't going on 100 years. It was born in 1965, 2yrs before the Maple Leafs won their 13th Stanley Cup.

@2001mark

Always loved that typeface, though. The "M" and "N" especially.

As do I. It's my favorite of Toronto's all-time word marks. If I'm making the choice, I'd just bring this logo back and call it a day.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived