Sign in to follow this  
Gary.

Beer/Wine/Spirits Thread

Gary.    302

I know we had a beer thread before but disappeared. Anyway I just tried Ginger Beer for the first time yesterday. I will say I was pleasantly surprised on how good it tasted

CS85    5,399

Ginger beer isn't bad. Can be surprisingly robust.

I'll post some favorites:

lafinHERO.jpg

del20tremens1.jpg

duchessedebourgogne.png

monks-cafe-flemish-sour.preview.jpg

infrared41    3,724

My favorites will get me laughed out of the room. Way back when I still consumed such things, I tried a lot of different beers and drinks but the two I liked best were always...

budweiser-330ml-Can-and-Bottle.jpg1321997381_Jack_Daniels_Whiskey.jpg

Shumway    746

While it likely depends on the season, my favorite beers are as follows:

3. Boulder Shake (Chocolate Porter) - It tastes like a got-damn milkshake.

shake_choc_porter_6.gif

2. Yards Brawler (English Dark Ale) - Malty, not very hoppy with hints of caramel. Cool label.

Yards-Brewing-Company-Brawler.jpg

1. Victory Festbier (Marzen) - Also malty, not very hoppy with caramel. It's a little sweeter initially, but not overpowering by any means. Unfortunately, it's seasonal, but, fortunately, I live 5 minutes from the brewery.

FB_12ozBottle_WEBTrans.png

I don't consider myself a beer snob or anything, but I do constantly try new beers just to try them. I'm not much of an IPA fan at all, but , lately anyway, a big fan of stouts. Guinness, Boddington's or Brawler are usually my fallback options if I can't decide on a 6-pack at the store.

OnWis97    2,309

Traditionally, I am the antithesis of a "beer snob." I think my contribution to the big "beer" thread was that I like cheap domestics like Rolling Rock and Bud. What I really hate that you all seem to love is bitterness. IPAs are flat out disgusting and it remains a huge mystery to me why they are so beloved. I keep catching myself saying "people must just think it's cool/tough to like such harsh things." But I am sure that people legitimately just like it.

Anyhow, I found myself at a beer festival this summer and recently at a few brew pubs. The term "pale ale" pushes me away but I have been able to tolerate some things. I think it's wheat beers (Hefeweizens and a couple of other things) that I tend to like. If anyone is a particular fan of non-bitter beers, I'd be curious to hear what they like. I've bought a few four/six packs of 'em and some are OK, but most still have an aftertaste I don't love. I'd be curious to hear whether anyone has any non-bitter recommendations.

CS85    5,399

Traditionally, I am the antithesis of a "beer snob." I think my contribution to the big "beer" thread was that I like cheap domestics like Rolling Rock and Bud. What I really hate that you all seem to love is bitterness. IPAs are flat out disgusting and it remains a huge mystery to me why they are so beloved. I keep catching myself saying "people must just think it's cool/tough to like such harsh things." But I am sure that people legitimately just like it.

Anyhow, I found myself at a beer festival this summer and recently at a few brew pubs. The term "pale ale" pushes me away but I have been able to tolerate some things. I think it's wheat beers (Hefeweizens and a couple of other things) that I tend to like. If anyone is a particular fan of non-bitter beers, I'd be curious to hear what they like. I've bought a few four/six packs of 'em and some are OK, but most still have an aftertaste I don't love. I'd be curious to hear whether anyone has any non-bitter recommendations.

IPAs are disgusting. I don't get it, but apparently I don't know "real beer" unless I drink bitter bread/grass oil and pretend to enjoy it.

Shumway    746

IPAs are disgusting. I don't get it, but apparently I don't know "real beer" unless I drink bitter bread/grass oil and pretend to enjoy it.

I'm with you guys on this one. I occasionally give IPAs a whirl, thinking maybe they'll grow on me. There are a few I could tolerate, but I don't think I'll ever actually enjoy them.

On that subject, my brother had me try a beer called "Hoo Lawd!" by Dogfish Head, which is apparently the hoppiest beer on the planet. It was the worst thing I've ever tasted in my life. Now, I don't like IPAs (or Dogfish's stuff in general, honestly), but I don't see how anyone could even remotely enjoy that stuff.

I was going to create a beer thread, but then saw this one and figured I'd continue it since it isn't that old. I personally like to try new beers as often as I can and because of the recent boom of craft breweries opening up in Ontario including several in my hometown (and 12 within a 30 KM radius), I've had the chance to try a few hundred different beers. I wouldn't go as far as considering myself a beer snob necessary since I personally enjoy some of the more mainstream beers such as Budweiser, Miller, Canadian, etc. But at the same time, don't like most light beers and wouldn't go near them if given the choice to.

Also, I don't have a problem with IPA's as long as they aren't insanely bitter. If they aren't too bitter, they can actually be enjoyable, otherwise they are disgusting.

kmccarthy27    48

My go to lately has been Firestone Walker Luponic Distortion IPA.  The story with the beer is they make the same beer (grain bill) and each time they brew it, they change the hops. They are on #4 right now, and they have all been excellent

responsive-image.php?LD003_pour_halfpage

B-Rich    231
On 12/13/2015 at 9:42 AM, Gary. said:

Anyway I just tried Ginger Beer for the first time yesterday. I will say I was pleasantly surprised on how good it tasted

Most ginger beer is a carbonated non-alcoholic soft drink, like a more robust ginger ale... did you try one of the alcoholic versions? ( Crabbie's for example)?

Anyhoo, the B-Rich really doesn't do beer anymore-- definitely a cocktail guy.  Usually based on seasons:

Spring/Summer Season - Gin and tonics begin Easter weekend, and ends when the bottle runs out after Labor Day.  Since it stays hot for awhile after Labor Day down here in New Orleans, I usually buy a large bottle just before Labor Day.  Bombay Sapphire is my preferred gin, but Tanqueray will work, and Hendrick's is really good but a bit pricey in comparison.  Another thing I've learned is to only use good  tonic water.  Schweppes, White Rock, Canada Dry; all that stuff is high fructose corn syrup crap. Get some good stuff like Fever Tree, which not only makes a naturally light version, but also some with varied botanicals.  And don't be shy with the limes...  Another favorite, (particularly at the beach or any other place where you don't want  a drink to go flat) is what we call a Jimmy Buffett ( it's his favorite drink): good white rum, coconut water, and a fresh lime wedge or two squeezed on top. Delicious and refreshing.  Another good one that won't go flat is a green squall: white rum, pineapple juice, and a shot of Midori melon liquor, with a wedge of lime. 

(College) Football Season -- Labor Day to Thanksgiving.  Bourbon (preferably Maker's Mark) and 7-Up (not that Sprite crap, and Sierra Mist will do in a pinch). Was introduced to this by an Alabama alum-- one of the few good things to come out of Bama, imho.  Something about this drink just feels right for tailgating on fall afternoons, or while watching games at home. Though I don't do it anymore, it was also a perfect drink to have surreptitiously at a college game where alcohol is verboten; sneak the Maker's Mark in via a flask and mix with a 7-Up from the concession stand. 

Holiday time (Thanksgiving week to just after New Year's)-- Scotch time-- Dewar's, since I mix usually with 7-Up . Great combo of smoky Scotch and citrusy soda.  As an alternate when it gets up to shorts-wearing weather during the holidays (a common occurrence here in New Orleans),  a vodka (Stoli, Grey Goose, Ketel One-- all good) and FRESH SQUEEZED local orange juice (locally, oranges and satsumas ripen at this time) is good.  To make it more holiday-y, go half and half on the orange juice with cranberry juice.

Carnival and early Spring Time (January 6th/King's Day/Epiphany to Easter weekend) -- I really don't have a drink of choice during that time, but tend to drink a lot of lo-cal stuff after putting on a few pounds during the holiday season and trying to keep it off during Carnival/Mardi Gras time.  A go-to drink in this case is vodka, club soda, and some kind of low calorie fruit juice or flavor-- fresh squeezed wedge of lemon or lime, splash of sugar-free cranberry juice, or a shot of the zero cal MiO (with that stuff you can get some wacky colors, too, which is fun and festive for Mardi Gras)...

Other times-- Margaritas are always good (some good silver--not gold-- tequila, on the rocks, with salt, and not made with that "mix" stuff -- again, high fructose corn syrup), and  red wine for some reason has become my camping drink.

Shumway    746
On 12/13/2015 at 6:03 PM, Shumway said:

I'm with you guys on this one. I occasionally give IPAs a whirl, thinking maybe they'll grow on me. There are a few I could tolerate, but I don't think I'll ever actually enjoy them.

On that subject, my brother had me try a beer called "Hoo Lawd!" by Dogfish Head, which is apparently the hoppiest beer on the planet. It was the worst thing I've ever tasted in my life. Now, I don't like IPAs (or Dogfish's stuff in general, honestly), but I don't see how anyone could even remotely enjoy that stuff.

Update!

I started trying IPAs a little more over the summer and now actually enjoy them. I generally try to pick up at least 1-2 new ones each time I mix a 6-pack.

DDR    1,000
On 12/13/2015 at 9:56 AM, CS85 said:

Ginger beer isn't bad. Can be surprisingly robust.

I'll post some favorites:

lafinHERO.jpg

I could drink La Fin du Monde forever. Any of the Unibroue beers, really. Trois Pistoles. Don de Dieu. Maudite. I celebrate their entire catalogue, essentially. 

habsfan1    1,348

The Iron Maiden Trooper beer is pretty cool. For the stronger bottle, I love the 6.66% alcohol.

iron-maiden-trooper.jpg

I also like this one a lot too...

00004242_is?$saq-prod-tra$

DDR    1,000
4 hours ago, Shumway said:

Update!

I started trying IPAs a little more over the summer and now actually enjoy them. I generally try to pick up at least 1-2 new ones each time I mix a 6-pack.

In my experience, IPAs are an acquired taste. I have acquired that taste. I definitely get where it wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea, but I really and truly enjoy the flavor of hops. Now there's apparently a school of IPA-brewing that's pretty much "we're gonna punch you in the mouth with hops, can you handle it, :censored:?" But others are really well-balanced and have amazing piney/citrusey notes. It's not my preferred style of beer (I tend to go for an English Pale Ale) but I drink them often. 

Pretty much the only style of beer I can't get behind are sours.

48 minutes ago, DDR said:

Pretty much the only style of beer I can't get behind are sours.

I agree, however I'm slowly starting to wonder if sours are an acquired taste too. The first few I had I didn't like but the last couple that I've had I actually enjoyed. They didn't have that "dry mouth" feeling that I had after drinking other sour beers.

lopernv    304

Before this devolves into the beer thread...

I've really started to get into wine lately. I'm also very much attempting to take advantage of my Californian location and try some more local wineries.

0211enhj6klep_375x500.jpg

This has been my favourite in the small dabbling I have done, had it over American Thanksgiving and it was very delicious.

Does anyone have recommendations for Cali Cabs, or others? Washington Pinot Noirs? Any whites from around here that are tasty? I'm into the few New Zealand Sav Blancs I have had, but haven't really explored whites so much.

Also, picked this up at airport duty-free and I've been eagerly waiting to crack this open... if only I wasn't sick.

gmgob.10yov21.jpg

marble21    396

Favourite beer at the moment is Elvis Juice. It is a grapefruit infused IPA and tastes very similar to a soft drink we have here in the UK called Lilt. I'm not sure if either of those are available in North America, but if you see a grapefruit infused IPA I would highly recommend. It's a lot more refreshing taste than it sounds.

brewdog-elvis-juice-can.jpg

Favourite wine is a Merlot by Yellow Tail. They also do a good Shiraz. It's nothing fancy and is priced at around £7 a bottle here ($9 USD / $12 CAD). However, I just prefer it to other brands. I can't really explain why but again I would recommend it to anyone if they see it.

YellowTailMerlot-1-375x400.jpg

I've also just been given a bottle of Ghost Ship to try by my friend in the military who is based near the brewery. He has given rave reviews about it. I have no idea what a 'ghostly' pale ale is supposed to be but apparently there is a strong citrus flavour to it?

91893.png 

kmccarthy27    48
6 hours ago, marble21 said:

Favourite beer at the moment is Elvis Juice. It is a grapefruit infused IPA and tastes very similar to a soft drink we have here in the UK called Lilt. I'm not sure if either of those are available in North America, but if you see a grapefruit infused IPA I would highly recommend. It's a lot more refreshing taste than it sounds.

brewdog-elvis-juice-can.jpg

I love anything they do, but not many of those have made to the US.