Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gary.

Beer/Wine/Spirits Thread

31 posts in this topic

Of late, if I find Latitude 33's Blood Orange IPA on tap, I order it.

Latitude_33_Blood_Orange_IPA_22OZ_BTL_Li

I also quite enjoy the Peanut Butter Milk Stout from Belching Beaver.

3bc22d2b015b67be2b64c98532566f21_320x320

San Diego's craft beer scene is completely ridiculous.  I've barely scratched the surface.

Sampled this bad boy during my vacation up north.

moody-ales-hardy-brown-ale_1476375087.png

I've been cutting back lately on alcohol. I wasn't ever a big drinker before, but in a general effort to cut down on various "vices," my alcohol intake has been drastically reduced (along with red meat and pork).

That said, the OP referenced ginger beer. Ginger beer has been my go-to when I'm out or at various functions. It's not as sweet as soft drinks and generally costs as much as a beer, so it helps balance out shared bills.

My favorite these days is Q, from Brooklyn:

http://dg6qn11ynnp6a.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Q-Ginger-Beer-9oz-Bottle1.jpg

Also, on an earlier page, someone referenced Yellow Tail. If you're a young person who has no clue about wine, you can also bring Yellow Tail. It's always good (I like the Shiraz), it's accessible, and it's affordable. Plus the label is nice without being cloying, which is a good feature for wine.

I had a side by side comparison of Deth's Tar and Cafe Deth from Revolution Brewing here in the Windy City. What surprised me was how sessionable Deth's Tar was, despite being very pronounced in the bourbon flavor through and through. It's a blend of Heaven Hill and Old Forester, so I don't know if it's just a super light influence from the barrels or if they blend the ratios a little more in favor of the beer to take some of the heat off. It's good, but not as good as Cafe Deth, which is the same beer with some El Salvadorian coffee. It was very strong on the nose and gave some solid bitterness and robust flavor as I sipped it. It was really pretty great and I'm going to make sure to open the other sometime in the next few weeks, since coffee forward beers fade similarly to IPAs.

I find that I prefer American IPA's more than the standard ones.  Their hoppy bite isn't as harsh.

@B-Rich damn I gotta try a Jimmy Buffett.  Sounds soooooo good.

I picked up some single beers at Meijer while I was in the States this past weekend. One of the ones I got was one that New Belgium made as part of their tie in with Ben and Jerry's (Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ale). I've had several beers that are supposed to have a hint of chocolate or that are chocolate based, but none of them have really had that flavour, at least not like this. It actually tasted like cookie dough too. Either way an excellent beer in my books. Still got several more that I need to try, but this one will probably be the best one of the beers that I got.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, chrysleraspen08 said:

I picked up some single beers at Meijer while I was in the States this past weekend. One of the ones I got was one that New Belgium made as part of their tie in with Ben and Jerry's (Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ale). I've had several beers that are supposed to have a hint of chocolate or that are chocolate based, but none of them have really had that flavour, at least not like this. It actually tasted like cookie dough too. Either way an excellent beer in my books. Still got several more that I need to try, but this one will probably be the best one of the beers that I got.

I also really enjoyed the New Belgium Ben & Jerry beer. If you're specifically looking for a chocolatey beer that actually tastes like chocolate, check out Boulder Shake or Terrapin Moo-hoo.

On 1/4/2017 at 5:21 PM, habsfan1 said:

The Iron Maiden Trooper beer is pretty cool. For the stronger bottle, I love the 6.66% alcohol.

iron-maiden-trooper.jpg

haaha i had that cause im a maiden fan. it wasnt bad, kinda newcastle-ly.

for me this might be goofy but....

schlitz-beer-bottle.jpg

i saw it and couldnt believe schlitz still existed and that it was even sold in los angeles.

got one just for fun and now its my fav right now. kinda hipster of me but i dont care.

still amazed i can get it at all.

11 hours ago, Shumway said:

I also really enjoyed the New Belgium Ben & Jerry beer. If you're specifically looking for a chocolatey beer that actually tastes like chocolate, check out Boulder Shake or Terrapin Moo-hoo.

Both of those sound pretty good. Unfortunately we don't get any of those up here in Canada. However I'm probably going to Atlanta this summer, so I'll certainly try and find the Moo-hoo while I'm down there.

Madtree just opened a new brewery here in the Oakley neighborhood of Cincinnati that is steps from my house and I'm pretty excited. 

http://madtreebrewing.com/home