Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I mocked up a version with a tattered flag and a grittier skull:

1046.gif

Im not following what @Old School Fool is saying. Also, I'm gonna need a side by side here. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, crosfam said:

Bigger logos are not always better.  The Eagles, Vikes, Seahawks, Rams, and Chargers essentially left their logos the same size. 

I'm not sure you understood my point. Those teams' helmets have large logos, and they are considered classics. I don't know why some people are making such a big deal about the new Bucs logo. Their larger new logo works better than their old one for the reasons I stated in my previous post. 

3 hours ago, daveindc said:

I'm not sure you understood my point. Those teams' helmets have large logos, and they are considered classics. I don't know why some people are making such a big deal about the new Bucs logo. Their larger new logo works better than their old one for the reasons I stated in my previous post. 

False equivalence. Those teams don't have large logos on their helmets. Those teams use the whole of the helmet to represent the nickname in clever ways because those logos naturally lend themselves to covering the entire space. The Vikings have horns because Vikings wore helmets with horns (allegedly they didn't actually, but it works), the Bengals are striped like a tiger's head, the Rams because Rams have horns on their heads. The Buccaneers is big because.....because that was the flavor that offseason.  

None of them just took their primary logo and blew it up 300% and slapped it on the side of the helmet. 

If those teams did this then you'd have a point, but they don't.

qmr3utahz0axuklsdwf1.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's an improvement, but it still has the amateur hour problem of all the lines being the same weight, which causes it to feel flat, less dynamic. Look at the old one, the flag doesn't have a uniformly sized black outline all around it and it doesn't have the same stroke weight as the sword holding it, which works because real objects don't have lines that are all the same thickness. That logo above is an improvement because the principles that work with the original Jolly Roger are applied to the new Jolly Roger. Also it's warped to match the flow of the waving flag, the new skull isn't. The new skull was drawn, then plopped onto the flag and rotated oh about 20 degrees to the right, which is another reason it feels flat and less dynamic. Drives me nuts. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 hours ago, daniel75 said:

riddell-revolution-authentic-helmet-2-bubucs%20spped.png

You guys really prefer the helmet on the left? It's ok, no judgement, i'm just a little dumbfounded by this.

Yes.

I dig the chrome facemask on the new one, but the logo is downgrade (has too clean of a flag and a robo-skull) and is obnoxiously big.

back to the topic of "The Future of Color Rush"... i've said it before, and i'll say it again... i think Color Rush would be a great way to do full "Color on Color" games, but instead of being monochrome, it would simply remove any white-base uniform elements.. like Rams in Blue jerseys, Yellow pants, Blue socks, vs. the 49ers in Red jerseys, Gold pants, Red socks.. i know that's a pretty standard type of uniform for those teams, but then you could expand it to something like Orange/Aqua/Orange Dolphins vs. Powder/Navy/Powder Titans, or Blue/Black/Blue Panthers vs. Burgundy/Yellow/Burgundy Redskins, etc.. 

17 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

I love the fact that this week's "Color" Rush game is black vs white. 

It's the purest color rush game of all time.

Black is the absence of color, and white the assemblance of all colors and is a color itself.  

It gets no better.

Just kidding; it's hideous.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yeah, tomorrow's game might be the worst color rush yet. I mean Jags-Titans was absolutely hideous..... but at least they wore, y'know, colors. At least they tried. 49ers in all gold vs. Cardinals in all-red (throwbacks, not this piping template) = much more interesting.

Color Rush should be two teams both wearing colored jerseys. Having one team in all-white every week just makes the whole Color Rush concept seem stupid. If this is what the NFL wants then they should've planned their Thursday night games better by not having teams with the same colored Color Rush uniforms play each other. Just my two cents.

22 minutes ago, IceBurgs70 said:

Color Rush should be two teams both wearing colored jerseys. Having one team in all-white every week just makes the whole Color Rush concept seem stupid. If this is what the NFL wants then they should've planned their Thursday night games better by not having teams with the same colored Color Rush uniforms play each other. Just my two cents.

Color rush should be relegated to minor league football. Maybe high school.

That's it.

IMO. YMMV. blahblahblah

It's where I sit.

15 hours ago, daniel75 said:

riddell-revolution-authentic-helmet-2-bubucs%20spped.png

You guys really prefer the helmet on the left? It's ok, no judgement, i'm just a little dumbfounded by this.

Hell YES! I've said it before and I'll say it again...Tampa Bay had the best uniform set in the NFL until they changed to the current set. The new flag sucks, it is way too big on the helmet. The jerseys are awful, the digital clock numbers are atrocious, and the pants, are you freaking kidding me with those pant! Worst Uniform Transition in the history of changes! 

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Someone on this board did exactly what I'm talking about. It's a perfect modernization.

Buccaneersconceptoldandnew_zps0b31b38c.p

Ditch the unibrow, creases in the flag (looks too busy with them), and you have a winner. It's a logo not an illustration. 

3 hours ago, nuordr said:

Hell YES! I've said it before and I'll say it again...Tampa Bay had the best uniform set in the NFL until they changed to the current set. The new flag sucks, it is way too big on the helmet. The jerseys are awful, the digital clock numbers are atrocious, and the pants, are you freaking kidding me with those pant! Worst Uniform Transition in the history of changes! 

The Bucs are in a weird spot here. Their logo is a flag with a logo on it. So when you make the flag the main focus, it looks a little odd. When you blow it up to make the skull and crossbones the main focus, it also looks a little odd. I see pros and cons to each

This might me a form of Stockholm Syndrome, but the Bucs uniform has (somewhat) grown on me since it debuted. That's not to say there aren't glaring problems with it, but I think it could be tweaked and made into something decent.

• The chrome-ish facemake, as some others have said, is a nice touch that pairs well with the pewter shell. Tone down the size of the logo and it's great.
  • The jerseys aren't bad. I don't mind the pewter yoke (and splash of orange) breaking up the red. The numbers need to go (something more traditional and legible), put the pirate ship logo on both sleeves (best new logo of the update), and maybe extend the pewter down to the nameplate on the back of the jersey, and it's a lot better.
  • The pants? Well... they need a complete overhaul. Basically, the 1997-2013 pants, but updated to the new shades of red, orange and pewter.

Or they could just update the 1997-2013 set with the new colors and wordmark and call it a day.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Archived