Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

As long as the NFL restricts this Color Rush to Thursday Night games, I'm okay with it going forward. To have a color vs. color game each week is a nice change-up in my opinion. If it becomes anything more than that, I completely agree with the people saying the NFL will have a bunch of Pop Warner games. I just hope that next year, the all color games are monochrome-free. If there isn't any monochrome crap, these games would actually be quite decent looking in my opinion, as long as the teams are wearing contrasting colors, like black vs. yellow.

The idea of color vs color on Thursday nights only isn't terrible in and of itself... unnecessary, certainly, but it could've been at least a decent curiosity. The whole thing became a giant ugly failure when the decision was made to make it a single color all the way from jersey to shoe. Take that Rams/Bucs game, for instance. If the Rams had worn white pants and the Bucs pants had been the brown-gray formally known as pewter, it still could have been sold as a uniform "event" without it making viewers sick to their stomachs.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as the NFL restricts this Color Rush to Thursday Night games, I'm okay with it going forward. To have a color vs. color game each week is a nice change-up in my opinion. If it becomes anything more than that, I completely agree with the people saying the NFL will have a bunch of Pop Warner games. I just hope that next year, the all color games are monochrome-free. If there isn't any monochrome crap, these games would actually be quite decent looking in my opinion, as long as the teams are wearing contrasting colors, like black vs. yellow.

The idea of color vs color on Thursday nights only isn't terrible in and of itself... unnecessary, certainly, but it could've been at least a decent curiosity. The whole thing became a giant ugly failure when the decision was made to make it a single color all the way from jersey to shoe. Take that Rams/Bucs game, for instance. If the Rams had worn white pants and the Bucs pants had been the brown-gray formally known as pewter, it still could have been sold as a uniform "event" without it making viewers sick to their stomachs.

No kidding, right? This solid all color jersey to toe crap is terrible. I would like to smack the people who honestly thought that idea would look good. Nike's designers are some of, if not, the worst "pro" sports designers right now, in my opinion.

Setting aside that I think color vs. color is awful under any circumstances, I agree. But that's why they went monochrome - because it's jarring and makes people notice. People wouldn't have paid nearly as much attention had the Jets and Bills come out in white pants. Hell, most people probably wouldn't have even noticed the Jets weren't wearing their normal jerseys.

When someone commented on Thanksgiving about the Panthers' awful set, my 60 year-old father-in-law said "Oh, they got the Panthers in those special Nike jerseys." And he's not even someone who cares about uniforms, yet he knew of the color rush and even thought the jerseys were somehow more advanced than the normal game jerseys. That's what it's all about. Being outlandish and getting people to notice and talk about Nike. Nobody is going to tune into games just to see these uniforms. The ratings will not be even a tiny bit higher in those games. The NFL gets a few extra dollars out of it, but the only winner here is Nike. And since the NFL already caved on this crap, who knows how far Nike will push boundaries to get people to notice them? It's only getting worse.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Dolphins were pretty close to color rush in the mono aqua against the Pats. Surprisingly, I actually thought it looked pretty good.

hi-res-3904981cc7c3a26777187eb2e7ff24ba_

Liked it too. A nice changeup from their regs of aqua/white. I don't think I would want to see it alot, but every now and then, WINNER.

"event" jerseys for super bowl teams in the near future seems like a nike thing to do

I'm afraid they'll do something like gold-trimmed numbers for Super Bowl 50.

I don't think they could push out uniforms in time for a Super Bowl when they don't know the teams.

bSLCtu2.png

"event" jerseys for super bowl teams in the near future seems like a nike thing to do

I don't think they could push out uniforms in time for a Super Bowl when they don't know the teams.

I don't think they'll do it, but I think they could add gold trim to the team's numbers in time if they wanted to.

90758391980.gif

Colts - I would love to see them bring the blue pants back like they wore for a couple games in 1995 along with their white jersey. Seeing an all-blue look with the blue jersey, blue pants, and blue socks would be really cool. Was it ever explained why the blue pants were scrapped in the middle of the season? They were part of the 1995 uniform update and went along with the change from a white face mask to a blue one. According to gridiron-uniforms.com a special pair of white socks with blue stripes were worn with the blue pants. And to think the Colts were one dropped Hail Mary away from going to the Super Bowl that year… can you imagine if they broke out the blue pants for the big game?!?! Or even went monochrome?!?!?!??!

Giants - Since the Bills, another New York team, already went all-red for Color Rush this leaves two choices for the Giants: all blue or all gray (to match their regular pants which don't match anything else in their uniform). An all-gray look for the Giants would remind me a lot of the gray sets that UConn has been wearing in both football and basketball since all of these uniforms would be mostly gray with red and blue elements.

Cowboys - The Cowboys have many choices: all silver to match their helmets and road pants, all royal blue to match the numbers on their white jerseys and their socks, all navy to match the star on their helmets and their road jerseys, all white because they are most famous for always wearing a white jersey, and my personal favorite: all metallic baby aqua marine to match the color of the pants they wear with their white jersey. Can you imagine a cowboys jersey the same color of those pants??? That would be amazing! And then for Color Rush you'd wear it with the regular pants of the same color that they normally only wear with the white jersey, and socks the same color. Now *THAT* would be a memorable uniform!

Raiders - All black would be absolutely badass but I wouldn't mind seeing all-silver considering how trendy gray is now.

Patriots - All silver would be interesting for the Pats too but I hated their silver alternate jerseys, they looked more pewter than silver. And navy blue isn't shocking enough for color rush so that leaves all royal blue (a nice reference to the 90's uniforms without it being a throwback) but I know for sure it's going to be all red. Considering how popular the old Pat Patriot logo and old jerseys are I'm sure many Patriots fans would be absolutely drooling over a red alternate of their current jerseys.

Jaguars - I'm really, really, really surprised they didn't go all-teal for their Color Rush game since that would have totally been garish enough for the way these games have been looking so far.

Speaking of monochrome uniforms for years and years I had wanted to see a football team wear all read head to toe (helmet, jersey, pants, socks, shoes) and the chiefs recent blood clot uniforms satisfied my need very nicely. Thank you Chiefs!

I have no problems with the Color Rush uniforms' socks being the same color as both the jersey and the pants, it adds to the monochrome effect and overall unique look of these "one off" uniforms, after all this is called "color rush" and the NFL is trying to add (or showcase) as much color to / in these uniforms as possible, especially how the lack of white on the jersey, pants, or socks adds to the "color rush" effect.

Even though it could be argued the Color Rush uni's are a more modern look and are "throw forwards," to me, if you don't count the added metallic elements on the helmets, they kind of look like throwbacks to the monochrome uniforms worn in the 30's, 40's, and early 50's, especially how they lack white accents / pinstripes / outlines on the jersey sleeve stripes and numbers. I'm posting images from gridiron-uniforms.com as examples of this. Look at the monochrome uni's in these pics and tell me they don't look a lot like Color Rush uniforms!

ee9305964a54623da8aaa1e68e3bcb3a.png

10b4f17cc394595bf47ff6aca2ef514f.png

d3c6c9cfe23c2750fcd8579de61eaf6c.png

3313cd3d610e4229bbcbeb6f3dc9dd6b.png

42177c972814fa4e6741e80609896d14.png

74c5157b26fff78950c111b63517bbb1.png

1346579154d4652466be861d8127b34d.png

c3edf3e2639a3f5fa106475658359853.png

75470635f506974a66c8e32985d84a23.png

0092bc2eef16dfb068e966b962463c15.png

None of those designs are from beyond the 1950s. They're from before the NFL dominated television. There's a reason why things go away forever without anyone complaining about it. Completely one solid color went the way of this:

atomic-energy-lab.jpg

And it was for the best.

Using socks that are the same color as the helmet and standard white short socks takes something hideous and makes it acceptable, if not ok. That's literally all it takes, just a little bit of break up. They allow stripes on the jerseys in other colors, why not the socks?

Can anyone photoshop an example or two of this from the designs already used?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

None of those designs are from beyond the 1950s. They're from before the NFL dominated television. There's a reason why things go away forever without anyone complaining about it. Completely one solid color went the way of this:

atomic-energy-lab.jpg

And it was for the best.

Using socks that are the same color as the helmet and standard white short socks takes something hideous and makes it acceptable, if not ok. That's literally all it takes, just a little bit of break up. They allow stripes on the jerseys in other colors, why not the socks?

Good catch about how none of my example uniforms are from beyond the 50's. The latest one is from 1953, and this is when people were just starting to get TV's.

What did TV look like in the early days? Black and white.

So the whole reason football uniforms started adding more white was to increase contrast on black and white TV's!

The all-white away jersey was not a common thing before the 50's and therefore color vs color match ups were very common pre-TV.

And what is Color Rush? Color vs color!

Case closed bro.

atomic-energy-lab.jpg

And it was for the best.

Good catch about how none of my example uniforms are from beyond the 50's. The latest one is from 1953, and this is when people were just starting to get TV's.

What did TV look like in the early days? Black and white.

So the whole reason football uniforms started adding more white was to increase contrast on black and white TV's!

The all-white away jersey was not a common thing before the 50's and therefore color vs color match ups were very common pre-TV.

And what is Color Rush? Color vs color!

Case closed bro.

i-have-no-idea-what-you-are-talking-abou

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Probably gold swooshes.

I was thinking gold accessories, like Pinktober or Veterans Day.

Probably gold swooshes.

I was thinking gold accessories, like Pinktober or Veterans Day.
Judging by the polos and sweatshirts, that's a given. Surprisingly they're using blue as the base for the fan gear.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived