Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

Also the NFL is about promoting itself not other leagues be they active or defuct. Could never see the NFL being OK with promoting WLAF, USFL or even MLB enspired merch.

As far as the Oilers go even though Bud Adams has passed no way the Titans would approve the Texans using anything Oilers as the Titans still own all the rights.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the WLAF turned into NFL Europe, wouldn't the NFL have rights over that?

Granted I dont think they would use it anyways, but just curious.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Some of the TNF uniforms were very well designed, and showed plenty of creativity - the Jets' green jerseys and Packers' white pants spring to mind.  Both pay homage to the teams' history in a modern way.  Although I vehemently dislike the promotion, you can't tar them all with the "lazy" brush. 

Agreed. The Saints' white jerseys were a nod to their original white jerseys, including the serifed numbers. The white pants were similar to the white pants they wore from 1976-85 except for the addition of the fleur de lis. 

While I didn't like the jerseys and pants together because I don't like teams wearing white jerseys AND white pants, I'd like both uniforms pieces by themselves. As a Saints fan, I appreciated the nod to the past.

And, the Saints' Color Rush uniform was a marked improvement over their current set. Talk about lazy templates, the Saints' current jerseys have the annoying neck-roll collars that management was too lazy to raise an objection to them.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

And yet the guidelines say it has to be within the franchise's history. So, the Oilers aren't in the Texans' franchise history, nor are any WLAF or USFL teams.

So I'm not seeing that you understood the requirements,

I get what the guidelines are, hence the reason I advocated for them to CHANGE them and adopt a more MLB-like approach where they can honor team's that have an attachment to their city not just their franchise.  

I'm not sure how much clearer I can spell this out for you? 

31 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

I get what the guidelines are, hence the reason I advocated for them to CHANGE them and adopt a more MLB-like approach where they can honor team's that have an attachment to their city not just their franchise.  

I'm not sure how much clearer I can spell this out for you? 

Not wanting to get into a pi$$ing match (too late). I didn't get your posts as wanting to change the rules. You spoke more like you didn't see why they couldn't just do whatever regarding fauxbacks, throwbacks, colors, or logos.

It's where I sit.

17 hours ago, canzman said:

Can't do the World League thing. Guidelines state it has to be a colors/logos/uniforms from the Franchsie's history not the City who might have had other teams. This is due to the fact that even if not used anymore the Franchise still has the rights to the old logos and such and the current team wouldn't have the rights to these other logos. Even if the trademark is expired the defunct franchise/organization may still have rights in common law, even though their federal registration is no longer alive. You should also keep in mind that the actual artwork in the logos may be protected under Copyright Law as well by the creator.

The NFL is the one making the guidelines, though.  Before Color Rush, the guidelines said that you can't come out with a wacky one-off uniform in addition to your regular uniforms and your throwback.  Obviously, you can't use logos you don't have rights to, but that's not the only reason they had the "already existing" rule.  The Broncos certainly owned the old D logo, but they couldn't update it.  The NFL probably saw this as a way to get more milk from the cow, not as a way to get a new cow.

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Why would the Titans let the Texans have the rights to Oilers throwbacks? They have no reason to surrender the cash cow that is Oilers merch rights.

I was under the impression the Titans only retained the Oilers' history and the records, and  that the NFL was the one who owned the Oilers name and branding (and that of all defunct franchises)? 

20 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Wonder if the Jags could use the London Monarchs identity when they move to London? That could be a cool tie in.

They're not moving to London lol. I just did a tour of the stadium 2 weeks ago and seeing all the money they've put into improving it the last 5 years is proof that they won't move. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, Griffinmarlins said:

They're not moving to London lol. I just did a tour of the stadium 2 weeks ago and seeing all the money they've put into improving it the last 5 years is proof that they won't move. 

Sorry but if Khan can make a business case to move the franchise he will. At the rate that stadium improvements are going now, they have a shelf life of about 10 years before the teams negotiate for more upgrades. The biggest challenge to relocating across the Atlantic are the logistics that would put a franchise at a competitive disadvantage.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

Sorry but if Khan can make a business case to move the franchise he will. At the rate that stadium improvements are going now, they have a shelf life of about 10 years before the teams negotiate for more upgrades. The biggest challenge to relocating across the Atlantic are the logistics that would put a franchise at a competitive disadvantage.

The NFL won't care about a disadvantage anyways. There schedule would end up like baseball with blocks of home and away games. The team would most likely work in the States rather than going back and forth between the USA and London. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Kahn already owns Fulham in London and the new Tottenham stadium in London supposedly features two fields that move in and out like in Arizona (one for soccer, one for football). The article I read last year said they would still maintain operations in Jacksonville and use the facilities for their "block" of State-side games.

8 hours ago, BrianLion said:

I was under the impression the Titans only retained the Oilers' history and the records, and  that the NFL was the one who owned the Oilers name and branding (and that of all defunct franchises)? 

Most merchandise sold goes into a collective pot. So when you buy your Jets cap at the mall? The profits from that get split 32 ways. 

The exception is when you buy that Jets cap at MetLife on game day. That's all the team's.

As for who owns the Oilers' intellectual property? I honestly don't know if it's the Titans or the league. I do know that when the Oilers changed to the Titans they needed the Jets' permission though, because the Jets still had the rights to the New York Titans name. So it seems like teams retain some level of control over their former identities.

Either way though? The league recognizes the Titans and not the Texans as the proper custodians of all things Oilers. History, records, and throwback uniforms/gear. 

Which means that it's the Titans that get to sell that Oilers mech at their stadium. 

Now I'm not sure how popular Oilers gear is in Tennessee, but retro is in. And has been in for over ten years now. So I imagine Oilers gear moves well enough. And all the profit of that gear sold goes straight to the team. 

It's also another merch stream. Even if it doesn't sell like gangbusters? It's another "brand" the Titans can sell to boost sales. Even if only by a little bit. It's more than they'd have if they didn't sell Oilers gear.

So on who gets to sell Oilers merch...regardless of who owns the rights? The league has deemed the Titans the rightful holders. Even if the league ultimately owns the IP...the Titans would still probably need to give consent to hand it over to the Texans. And they have no reason to do so.

Outside of stadium sales? Things would remain the same. Oilers throwback gear would still be available, and the money from it would still go into that 32 way pot. 

As far as stadium sales go? The Titans would lose the revenue stream the Oilers bring to their in-stadium sales. 

Back to Color Rush, this week should be one of the better ones. The Vikings' CR unis are serviceable, but the Cowboys' CR unis are very good. In fact, if they were to pair the tops with silver pants, their CR unis would be superior to their normal home whites IMO.

NSFCvyu.png

Archived