Evolution of a look

MCM0313

This is kind of a complex topic, and I've sort of tried to go over this before without much success, so bear with me here.

Sometimes, when a team switches logos and brings out a whole new uniform set, you think, "Oh, well, the old one was dated, or they did everything they could with it, or there wasn't much they could've done with it that they didn't do." (For that last one, think of the current Rams set. Gold pants were nice, tried a metallic-gold jersey and it was bad, blue is too dark to do much with, overall it's a limited design and scheme.) Others, you feel like they could've changed things up a bit without changing the logo. So what are some directions you would've liked to see teams take had they not changed their logos? I'll give a few examples of mine:

1. NY Jets: Keep the kelly-green helmet with the black facemask. Add neon yellowish-green as an accent color. Maybe have a set that's kelly green jersey, neon pants. (Please don't stop reading because of this.)

2. Seattle Seahawks: I always felt they should have a green alternate with their original logo. They had such a classy look going and could've kept the same basic template but switched some colors around.

3. Montreal Expos: Seeing the thread about them made me think. If they were still in Montreal, you know they'd be bringing back the paneled caps, racing stripes, and powder-blue alts in some capacity, likely just as a throwback or alternate. Still, I feel like they could've found a way to make things interesting (they looked pretty dull by the end of their time in Montreal) without going backwards. Perhaps more prominent use of red?

4. Atlanta Falcons: Black 1990s helmet, red jersey, grey pants.

5. Florida Marlins: Teal alternate jersey, for crying out loud! It was criminal how much they de-emphasized teal in the ten years or so before the switch.

6. Arizona Diamondbacks: Get teal and copper more involved in color scheme; de-emphasize black a good bit and purple somewhat.

7. Utah Jazz (1996-2002-ish logo): Copper alternate jersey.

8. Denver Nuggets (1990s color scheme): Find some way to make the overall look less template-y and emphasize the unique color scheme.

9. "Motre Dame" Brewers: While the logo was generic, I always felt the color scheme and uniform set were underrated. They should've gone green-heavy with it IMO.

Okay, that's enough of my rambling. Your rambling is sought, people.

Add neon yellowish-green as an accent color.

No

Hey, I didn't expect many people to agree with me on that. I just feel like many looks are ditched when they're not really outdated and there are still plenty of interesting twists that could be put on them.

In a sense, the patriots and rams halfway did this.. Rams kept similar styled uniforms, but went with a darker color scheme, and patriots stayed silver/blue/silver, but darkened the blue and altered the uniform template.. I know this isn't the type of response you're looking for, but I think teams, for the most part, allow a look to evolve until extinction, then go completely different.. Sometimes they even revert to the past before the evolution is complete

In a sense, the patriots and rams halfway did this.. Rams kept similar styled uniforms, but went with a darker color scheme, and patriots stayed silver/blue/silver, but darkened the blue and altered the uniform template.. I know this isn't the type of response you're looking for, but I think teams, for the most part, allow a look to evolve until extinction, then go completely different.. Sometimes they even revert to the past before the evolution is complete

True. I'm just saying that in some cases they could evolve further.

I do agree with you about the Patriots. They kept the same basic concept and changed it around. I don't like how they did it, but nonetheless that could be considered an example of this.

As far as the Rams go...that's a bit more of a stretch. They not only darkened their colors and changed their uniform template but also introduced new logos and changed their secondary color from non-metallic to metallic. The Patriots' logo had different shades but was still the same design; the Rams' logo was totally new (and probably the only real improvement from that change besides maybe the now-extinct metallic gold pants, but that's another subject). Really, I think they might have made a more radical change if team and league tradition didn't basically dictate that they have horns on their helmets.

In conclusion, I guess the Pats' 2000 change was sort of an evolution/tinkering/re-formatting, while I'd consider the Rams' 2000 change an overhaul, or very close to one---not as big a change as the 1997 Broncos, 1997 Buccaneers, or 1999 Jets, but more in line with the 1996 Eagles and 2003 Falcons.

While we're on the subject, how would you view the changes made by the 49ers in 1996 and the Dolphins in 1997? I'd consider the Niners' change very close to that of the Eagles from the same year (and close to the Rams' 2000 change). I'd consider the Dolphins' 1997 change a step below the others, more in line with the Patriots' 2000 change.

I don't think royal/athletic gold to navy/metallic gold is any more radical than royal/red/silver to navy/silver/red. Each change came with significant changes to the uniform design, the Rams' agueably less than the Patriots'. And both teams kept their helmet logos, only recoloring them.

One big one I can think of is the Saskatchewan Roughriders, start off in 1960 but they hard solid uniforms up until 2012 but lets not forget about the retro ones but still.
275px-CFL_SSK_Jersey_1960.png

CFL_SSK_Jersey_1966.png

There is the all beautiful late 60's to mid 80's jerseys but they are the current retro ones.

275px-CFL_SSK_Jersey_1985.png

CFL_SSK_Jersey_2002.png

CFL_SSK_Jersey_2010.png

CFL_SSK_Jersey.png

I like the current logo but wish they kept the helmet wrap around but the current jerseys are not the best.

zyyMk1d.png

I think the Bills could have drawn more out of their '87-'01 look if they integrated a red jersey like they did this year.

I agree. They always kept that look very simple and, while that's admirable, they could've thrown in some new wrinkles. Blue pants on the road might've been nice too.

One big one I can think of is the Saskatchewan Roughriders, start off in 1960 but they hard solid uniforms up until 2012 but lets not forget about the retro ones but still.

CFL_SSK_Jersey_1966.png

There is the all beautiful late 60's to mid 80's jerseys but they are the current retro ones.

CFL_SSK_Jersey_2002.png

CFL_SSK_Jersey_2010.png

CFL_SSK_Jersey.png

I like the current logo but wish they kept the helmet wrap around but the current jerseys are not the best.

So, I have to ask...what's the deal with the red, black, and grey alternate? Did they have red jerseys at some point in their history that's not shown here, or were they referencing a previous pro football team in the area? I don't get that.

I think the Bills could have drawn more out of their '87-'01 look if they integrated a red jersey like they did this year.

I agree. They always kept that look very simple and, while that's admirable, they could've thrown in some new wrinkles. Blue pants on the road might've been nice too.

CFL_SSK_Jersey_1966.png

CFL_SSK_Jersey_2002.png

CFL_SSK_Jersey_2010.png

CFL_SSK_Jersey.png

So, I have to ask...what's the deal with the red, black, and grey alternate? Did they have red jerseys at some point in their history that's not shown here, or were they referencing a previous pro football team in the area? I don't get that.

Looks like they wore red many years ago

Saskatchewan%20Roughriders%20poster.jpg

Ok. This makes more sense.

fiowXOD.png

Archived