2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, dolphins91 said:

Yes, and I think they need to return to the league, and I hope that Las Vegas will do it

Yeah, don't hold your breath. Foley sounds even more committed to the black/grey/gold scheme than he is the Black Knights name.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

While I'm glad the Penguins went back to the old look, I will miss the old gold. When I look at the "gold" on these "new" uniforms I think of yellow.

To me gold is the color of actual gold.

Whether its Gold bars

http://www.buygoldbars.com/wp-content/themes/buygoldbars/theme/goldbars.jpg

Gold coins

http://www.usagold.com/images/usagoldcoins.jpg

or a Gold medal

https://userscontent2.emaze.com/images/b2f22e54-311c-4702-91c0-36b950dce9ff/033a4f7529a3927cc597c6cd410f27fe.jpg

The gold from the previous set looked more like Gold to me than the yellow/gold they have now.

The Catch of the Day!

I like what the 'Guins are doing.  The 1980s set was great overall, but the (then, home) white jersey hem stripes were kinda weird.  Of course I think they kinda missed here too; to many stripes.  Either way, I am glad they have one yellow/gold now and have moved on from something they never should have done.  These jerseys give me a nostalgic 1980s (my "golden era" of hockey jerseys) feel.  They are firmly in my top-5 now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, dolphins91 said:

Here's my idea for colors of the Vegas teamLV Colors.png 

Just promote the London Knights to the NHL then, already have the color palette and proper name, and they are probably just as good as any expansion draft squad that Vegas can put together

I knew it would happen, but I'm not happy about it. Don't confuse my reaction. YELLOW and black is ten times better for the PIttsburgh Penguins than vegas gold and black. Just was never a huge fan of those jerseys and watching them in the playoffs on the EDGE template I just thought they looked really stale. I was hoping they'd go back to them, but fix the original's problems. In other words, what they wore from 93-98, but with the skating penguin logo. It's essentially what Edmonton did when they should've gone to a modern version of the throwbacks rather than a direct copy. 

The white jersey always had that weird floating yellow stripe and it's back, but bigger than ever, which is actually the one improvement because now it better matches the stripes on the sleeves. 

I would love to take those socks and match the sleeve and hem stripes on them, but that would just be too obvious and look too good. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

That's pretty much what I'd figure the Pens would do. I am glad they enlarged the floating yellow stripe (bringing it more in line with the original version of those uniforms). However, the big yellow hem stripes and the non-matching socks/yellow blob on the pants is still a downgrade.

Shameless self-plug, but here is what I would have done to update the Pens' back-to-back Cup set:

27644922281_f075dfef89_b.jpg

I've evened out the striping widths on the sleeves and hems, for consistency's sake. I did add a bit of black under the main hem stripe of the road sweater, to match the cuffs/give the illusion of a straight hem (in a manner similar to the St. Louis Blues). The pants stripe now reflects the sleeve stripes of the home sweater. I switched the color balance of the numbers on the home sweater, with white numbers and athletic gold outlines. I kept the number font, as it's a nice modern block font that looks less clunky than the throwback font. There's no alternate mark, aside from the 1990's wordmark (cleaned up to be a two-color wordmark).

The Penguins look more distinctive today than they did yesterday, or before the playoffs at any rate. Good change. 

The Maple Leafs are just there. Nothing to even talk about uniform-wise either positive or negative. We already knew about the biggest change (the logo) so that mitigated the impact of the reveal. 

Archived