2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NeverSayNever said:

Great job with the Penguins templates. Seems like the Pens would benefit from a secondary logo shoulder patch of the quality of the Blackhawks tomahawks or the previous robopenguin?

183px-Pittsburgh_city_coat_of_arms.svg.p

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

32 minutes ago, the admiral said:

183px-Pittsburgh_city_coat_of_arms.svg.p

A shoulder patch would make an already busy look, even busier... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

While I'm glad the Penguins went back to the old look, I will miss the old gold. When I look at the "gold" on these "new" uniforms I think of yellow.

To me gold is the color of actual gold.

The gold from the previous set looked more like Gold to me than the yellow/gold they have now.

To me, matching the color to the arbitrary name "gold" is less important than matching the classic Pittsburgh colors (and the Steelers/Pirates).  

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That's pretty much what I'd figure the Pens would do. I am glad they enlarged the floating yellow stripe (bringing it more in line with the original version of those uniforms). However, the big yellow hem stripes and the non-matching socks/yellow blob on the pants is still a downgrade.

Shameless self-plug, but here is what I would have done to update the Pens' back-to-back Cup set:

27644922281_f075dfef89_b.jpg

I've evened out the striping widths on the sleeves and hems, for consistency's sake. I did add a bit of black under the main hem stripe of the road sweater, to match the cuffs/give the illusion of a straight hem (in a manner similar to the St. Louis Blues). The pants stripe now reflects the sleeve stripes of the home sweater. I switched the color balance of the numbers on the home sweater, with white numbers and athletic gold outlines. I kept the number font, as it's a nice modern block font that looks less clunky than the throwback font. There's no alternate mark, aside from the 1990's wordmark (cleaned up to be a two-color wordmark).

I'd be on board with this as just a subtle fix... but it's a really nice improvement. The white numbers also separate them more from the Bruins. My least favorite part of the Pens current black uniforms are the sock striping that they use, so this also helps that little issue.

3 hours ago, NeverSayNever said:

Great job with the Penguins templates. Seems like the Pens would benefit from a secondary logo shoulder patch of the quality of the Blackhawks tomahawks or the previous robopenguin? Wonder if the home black socks could have a bit more interest within the striping?

This is what I kept thinking during the playoffs. That space for some reason just looked so much more empty on the edge than it did on the originals. It's begging for a secondary logo. 

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

A shoulder patch would make an already busy look, even busier... 

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Not to mention how horrible that would look embroidered.  You can't just but Flags or Civic logos on a uniform and call it a good design.  Looking at you Calgary...

The obvious answer is to take the city crest and give it some simplified design treatment. Take the shape of the shield, castle, the 3 circles and work backwards from there. It's a cool crest, it's the right shape, it's the right colors (unlike Calgary), shields have been used as shoulder patches before, and it would be a nice civic tie-in.

The other easy answer is just use roboguin, but that space needs something. It felt too blank during the playoffs. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That's pretty much what I'd figure the Pens would do. I am glad they enlarged the floating yellow stripe (bringing it more in line with the original version of those uniforms). However, the big yellow hem stripes and the non-matching socks/yellow blob on the pants is still a downgrade.

Shameless self-plug, but here is what I would have done to update the Pens' back-to-back Cup set:

27644922281_f075dfef89_b.jpg

I've evened out the striping widths on the sleeves and hems, for consistency's sake. I did add a bit of black under the main hem stripe of the road sweater, to match the cuffs/give the illusion of a straight hem (in a manner similar to the St. Louis Blues). The pants stripe now reflects the sleeve stripes of the home sweater. I switched the color balance of the numbers on the home sweater, with white numbers and athletic gold outlines. I kept the number font, as it's a nice modern block font that looks less clunky than the throwback font. There's no alternate mark, aside from the 1990's wordmark (cleaned up to be a two-color wordmark).

I see where you're going there, with the symmetry of the design, but I love how the uniform set has the 70s influence. As I mentioned a while back, the template was based on a 1977 uniform set, and the pants design was innovative for the era. It's cool to think players from Jean Pronovost and Rick Kehoe, through Mario and Jagr, and now Crosby and Malkin are wearing a similar style. My only hope now is the return of the gold third jersey. 

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

The obvious answer is to take the city crest and give it some simplified design treatment. Take the shape of the shield, castle, the 3 circles and work backwards from there. It's a cool crest, it's the right shape, it's the right colors (unlike Calgary), shields have been used as shoulder patches before, and it would be a nice civic tie-in.

The other easy answer is just use roboguin, but that space needs something. It felt too blank during the playoffs. 

My vote goes to the robo-penguin.  That was a great shoulder patch on their pre-edge set.

Archived