2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

How ironic that they unveiled a new logo directly inspired by their heritage roots but yet their new uniforms are a look they never had...

I know it's a combo of eras, but ultimately it's different and non-traditional. The socks, number font, and that particular choice of stripes together are something they never wore in their entire history. To those who think the changes are a downgrade, either for a lack of real tradition or due to increased Tampa similarities, would it have been better with the traditional double stripes at the waist, traditional multi-striped socks, and blue shoulder yokes instead??

I think they only changed for the sake of a quick buck. Not because they needed to.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

image.jpeg

odd they wouldnt include TV numbers in the mocks they released tonight. they certainly help but still feel too small here. hockey jerseys have so much available realestate and material i think its easy to do too little, which is kind of what im getting here. they wanted to keep it as such so the logo would really stand out but i dont think tv numbers, shoulder patches and stripes are too much information to digest. especially when the logo is as simple as it is and everything on the jersey is only 2 colors

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The Coyotes have a beautiful 20th Anniversary patch, but rather than put it on the shoulder in place of the "AZ" state logo, they're shoving it on the front underneath the captain's letter position.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 hours ago, steve61 said:

leafs_newwhite.pngleafs_newblue.png

okay. honestly, i'm sold now.

as a stand alone jersey like the fans will wear, the mismatched stripes stand out and look awful... but you shouldn't design a uniform based on what looks good on FANS (right NBA?)

the single waist stripe matches the pants stripes and collars, and really balances everything out. the socks losing the iconic busy striping pattern is sad, but the correct decision here. these are absolutely great uniforms. the only thing i'd prefer is if they went with the round collars from the habs/bruins winter classic uniforms. i really like them. especially the whites.

I think we're being a little overly accepting of the Leafs now. It looks a little better with the pants,but not much. It's still an odd mishmash that's now closer to Tampa Bay (that's right, I'm suggesting that the Leafs hold a little blame now, they definitely went closer) and I really think was done solely to differentiate these from the last set, which we all know was a logo away from perfection.

The disappointment should continue, because these are not great.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

10 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

The Coyotes have a beautiful 20th Anniversary patch, but rather than put it on the shoulder in place of the "AZ" state logo, they're shoving it on the front underneath the captain's letter position.

EDIT, nm, I thought Coyotes' captain letters were on left side.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm liking everything on those Leafs uniforms except for the hem stripe. I was hoping they'd keep the existing 2 stripe design (rather than go to the Northwestern stripes or a solid single stripe), so I have some mixed emotions upon seeing this. I know it matches the pants stripe, but having mismatched hem and sleeve stripes looks terrible to me.

Also have some mixed feelings on them getting rid of their existing socks. They were distinct and iconic, though arguably too busy (and not matching the rest of the uniform). I ultimately think that the new socks will look better (less busy, and they match the jersey), but it's tough seeing a team move away from a uniform element that was strongly identified with them.

I don't think there's any need for shoulder patches - it would detract from the minimalist look of the uniforms, and the chest logo stands perfectly well on its own.

13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Wild continue to baffle me when it comes to uniforms. They choose to wear the green alternates every year in the playoffs. They choose to use the green alternates at the Draft. All tell-tale signs that they're planning on switching. 

Yet they've been doing both for long enough that I think a switch should have happened by now. They're either extremely indecisive or run by someone specifically trying to troll this forum. 

The thing that kills me with the Wild is that they're on the precipice of having such a great identity, but completely mangle it with their uniforms. I'll never like the name, but they have an incredibly well designed logo, and a unique, attractive color scheme to work with. All the right elements are there, but they've always fallen short with their uniforms, personally.

The inaugural set was decent, though I didn't like the phantom yolk on the green, and in general, have never liked extending the yolk all the way down the arm. But they've chipped away at their identity with every subsequent uniform change. Mismatching uniforms, an inability to choose whether they are a red team or a green team, a failure to leverage their spectacular logo properly... I wish they'd pick a consistent look and stick with it.

The Toronto crest looks very nice; I can't decide if the outline would have made it even better.

Regarding the stripes, the three-stripe is a vast improvement over the two, in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Danny said:

Looks like the Oilers will be wearing a Rogers Place patch on their jerseys this year.

Edit:

bVHhjH5.jpg

How many sports buildings in Canada have "Rogers" in the name again?

I hear the Parliament Building in Ottawa is going to be renamed the Rogers Parliament Building.

The Catch of the Day!

The white Leafs jersey looks nice, the blue jersey looks odd.   I would rate these pretty low compared to the rest of the Leafs uni history.

They basically made a camel, combining way too many previous looks.  

It feels like they tried to combine elements from the Smythe-era jerseys (the logo, the 2-stripes on the sleeves) with the Ballard-era jerseys (the single stripe on the waist and pants, and 2-stripes on the socks). These aren't bad by any means, but I think I liked the old ones better.

Archived