2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

9 hours ago, insert name said:

They really are the same exact C only the Avalanche threw a blue circle in the middle..

Ugh, why would anyone choose to have something cubs related. They need to drop it and go back to the 96´look.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan of the new Leafs. Here's why: 

1. The hem stripe is essentially the same thing as Tampa's. They took two jerseys that were already very similar and made them even more similar. This now makes Toronto complicit in the Toronto-Tampa two headed monster whereas previously they were just a victim of Tampa's copycattery. Another reason why the NHL needs a Director of Common Sense and why it should be me. They don't even have to give me a salary, just game-used authentics.

2. The socks stripes matches the sleeves now, but all I see are the late period Quebec Nordiques. You can't lose the busy Maple Leafs socks. That was their thing. I'm usually all about consistency, but in this case I think consistency makes the uniform worse and more boring. That quirk was perfect for a team of the Leafs' heritage, akin to Montreal's non-matching home and roads, or the Rangers' yoke stripes. 

3. Boo to no blank leaf on the shoulders. I know it's redundant to the primary, but I don't care. That is an awful lot of blank real estate. They need something there. I'd even prefer the hated TML logo to nothing in that space. 

4. The new logo is still an upgrade. It's a shame they put it on a worse looking jersey, but I understand why they felt like they had to change something on the jersey to move the new product. If all you do is swap out logos then fewer people would feel compelled to purchase the new jerseys just for the logo change. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The new logo is still an upgrade. It's a shame they put it on a worse looking jersey, but I understand why they felt like they had to change something on the jersey to move the new product. If all you do is swap out logos then fewer people would feel compelled to purchase the new jerseys just for the logo change. 

This is exactly why they made significant changes, even though the jersey was fine.

It was for marketing reasons. Not to update aesthetics.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

2. The socks stripes matches the sleeves now, but all I see are the late period Quebec Nordiques. You can't lose the busy Maple Leafs socks. That was their thing. I'm usually all about consistency, but in this case I think consistency makes the uniform worse and more boring. That quirk was perfect for a team of the Leafs' heritage, akin to Montreal's non-matching home and roads, or the Rangers' yoke stripes. 

Yes agreed, always considered the Leafs socks to be in iconic / quirky category like the Bruins socks. Shame to see them go. I see why they did it though. It creates more harmony in the uniform when you compare socks to the arm striping and then look at the hem stripe / pants stripe as the other design element. If you go with the old socks, the arm striping doesn't match with anything else and youre starting to reach Penguins Home level of mismatching pieces.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Not a fan of the new Leafs. Here's why: 

1. The hem stripe is essentially the same thing as Tampa's. They took two jerseys that were already very similar and made them even more similar. This now makes Toronto complicit in the Toronto-Tampa two headed monster whereas previously they were just a victim of Tampa's copycattery. Another reason why the NHL needs a Director of Common Sense and why it should be me. They don't even have to give me a salary, just game-used authentics.

3. Boo to no blank leaf on the shoulders. I know it's redundant to the primary, but I don't care. That is an awful lot of blank real estate. They need something there. I'd even prefer the hated TML logo to nothing in that space. 

4. The new logo is still an upgrade. It's a shame they put it on a worse looking jersey, but I understand why they felt like they had to change something on the jersey to move the new product. If all you do is swap out logos then fewer people would feel compelled to purchase the new jerseys just for the logo change. 

4.  I think it's a downgrade, so I am really unhappy about the whole thing.

1. This is just confusing.  I really liked the concepts with the Northwestern stripes.  It would have been simple but unique (following the 'Yotes dumping of 'em). But in general, either stand pat or move away from Tampa, not toward them.  The Tampa issue must have come up during the process...maybe the leafs wanted to push back as if to say "this is our look" but that seems petty and unlikely.

3.  I agree.  I loved the blank leaf during the 1980s (though that's in large part because the contrasting sleeve/shoulder colors made that leaf the inverse color of the crest).  Plenty of nice jerseys have had the crest on the shoulder and I've always liked the leafs doing a blank variant.  Though count me out on the TML.

But the biggest beef for me (aside from the most likely forever death of the Ballard leaf) is definitely the hem not matching the sleeves; made worse by the Lightningization that it causes.  The Leafs have a simple uniform; and that is what makes it great.  But it's what also made it more important to get it right.  And the swung and missed on the hem.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As a closet Leafs fan, I like the new logo itself.  The jersey just leaves me feeling sort of indifferent.  To be honest, if I were to pick up another Leafs sweater, I'd probably just buy one of the older ones.  Nothing stands out as a "must own" sort of thing. That's just me though.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

On 6/26/2016 at 4:10 PM, insert name said:

They really are the same exact C only the Avalanche threw a blue circle in the middle..

5029_colorado_avalanche-alternate-2016.p

tsw84vqfgzyh5z83dyt5d2bdp.png

I've been saying the Cubs need to protect their mark and stop that jersey. Their use even predates the flag by decades.

Besides, the Cubs existed before Colorado as a state, so...

On 25/06/2016 at 11:36 PM, CreamSoda said:

Man, seeing all these new NHL sweaters makes me sad for the Avalanche.

They still have the ugliest look in the league and show no signs of a change anytime soon.  I am getting the feeling this will be the Avalanche look for the next 20+ years...

I include Calgary in it, both team are tied for the worst look in the league

1 hour ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

I've been saying the Cubs need to protect their mark and stop that jersey. Their use even predates the flag by decades.

Besides, the Cubs existed before Colorado as a state, so...

Too late.  Colorado's been using that flag for fifty years.  The Cubs' claim is long since gone. 

Besides, they're not the same "C"s. 

The Avalanche using the "C" in the Colorado state flag has absolutely no impact on the Cubs' logo (or vice versa, for that matter). They're in two totally different sports, in two totally different areas, and both "C" logos have been in use for over fifty years.

If the Bears and Reds can use similar "C' logos (and the Twins, if you count the interlocked TC), then this poses absolutely no problem.

I think the distaste for these logos boils down to them representing the team's step away from this uniform set:

peter_forsberg_joe_sakic_photofile.jpg

It's nostalgia mixed with them being one of only a few teams to keep their crummy Edge roll-out look way past its sell-by date (alongside Calgary and Ottawa). Of course, the Avs' management sees the faux-retro look as the way out of this identity crisis. Whereas a retro/retro-inspired look would work for the Flames and the Senators, it really doesn't work for the Avs.

On 2016-06-23 at 7:34 PM, Ice_Cap said:

I have a sinking suspicion that was done to $$$

New logo aside? The ideal Leafs sweater with it would look a lot like the current home/road set. The single hem stripe is *just* different enough to get people on the fence to get a new sweater.

Sorry, no. Toronto's had the same basic look for 90 years. If anyone needs to "separate"? It's Tampa.

Look, I'm not a fan of the hem stripes myself. That being said? This is nowhere near the disaster it's being made out to be. It's a downgrade, certainly. 0/5 though? Get out of here with that weak :censored:

they did the exact same thing with the RBK edge jerseys. Remove the hem stripes so people have to buy a new set. Then they go back to the old one.

All they should have done was paste the new crest on last season's jersey. That jersey has been around since 1935. It's iconic. It's the Leafs brand. If they really needed to make it just different enough then place the hem stripes slightly closer together like they did on their uniforms prior to 1967 - that style looked better anyway.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Too late.  Colorado's been using that flag for fifty years.  The Cubs' claim is long since gone. 

Besides, they're not the same "C"s. 

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek. But teams have ceased-and-desisted for much, much less.

And a state flag is one thing. Having it on a sports uniform sans stripes and recolored is another. :)

Are we sure no one would confuse it for a Cubs hockey jersey? My faith in humanity is not at its peak right now. ;)

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:30 PM, officeglenn said:

Since I can't seem to find the deals/sale thread at the moment, I'll just post here to let y'all know that Pro Hockey Life has Reebok senior replica jerseys on sale for 50% off both online and in stores until June 30. I picked up a Flames 3rd today for $70 +tax (reg. $140).

Note they only ship in Canada....grrrrrrr

My first reaction to the full Leaf uniform striping pattern was that it was a miss-mash of two era's that most fans would like to have forgotten (80's/present), however, after a while, it's growing on me.  I have a feeling I will really like them, but I still wish the strips were all uniform. 

My ideal jersey would just have northwestern stripes with the new logo, with plain blue pants.

banners

On June 25, 2016 at 2:03 PM, infrared41 said:

27787173572_3e673d718a.jpg

Home run. 

You must have an awfully small ball park.

This is in no way an upgrade to what they had...

New-Leafs-Uniforms-Old-vs-New-590x657.jp

I'm going to miss the old socks (for whatever reason...they worked).

O.K... go with a single hem stripe if you must, but at least make it the same width as the sleeve stripes. (My God, that looks shoddy)

I get the whole "simplify" thing...but the new uni is downright boring. That sweater screams out for a shoulder patch.

I'm not sure that the pant stripe works. It's just kinda meh.

It's funny that a lot of fans are content with "it could've been worse...whew".

I hope this is just a 1-yr anniversary edition.

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-.

2 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

You must have an awfully small ball park.

This is in no way an upgrade to what they had...

New-Leafs-Uniforms-Old-vs-New-590x657.jp

I'm going to miss the old socks (for whatever reason...they worked).

O.K... go with a single hem stripe if you must, but at least make it the same width as the sleeve stripes. (My God, that looks shoddy)

I get the whole "simplify" thing...but the new uni is downright boring. That sweater screams out for a shoulder patch.

I'm not sure that the pant stripe works. It's just kinda meh.

It's funny that a lot of fans are content with "it could've been worse...whew".

I hope this is just a 1-yr anniversary edition.

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-.

With the exception of the new logo and the pants stripe, the Leafs definitely went "El Cheapo" with this look.

Screw the "different eras". All the Leafs had to do was go back to the '58-'67 template and replace the 35-point leaf with the 31-point version. Apart from the mismatching sweater stripes and departure from the classic socks, the white sweaters really bug me. Where's the blue? No blue yokes and no blue cuffs??

With teams wearing white on the road, the Leafs could've easily had one of the nicest and most recognizable looks and they blew it BIG TIME. Hopefully, Leaf fans are vocal about this. 

Archived