2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According the Sharks website:

The secondary marks will be incorporated into the look and feel of the new campaign for 2016-17. They will be used in a limited number of marketing applications this season.

The marks will not be replacing the current logos; they are to be used in addition to the current logos.

Again I ask, what is the point...

So the Hawks will be wearing this, then:

http://dyn3.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path%5B6%2F7%2F7%2F4%2F6774554%5D%2Csizedata%5B612x500%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Interested to see whether the Blues go with a blue sweater or a white one.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The more I see the new Sharks logos, the more I like them. I think they'll start phasing out the stick-chomping ones and move to these as their primaries and I am all in favour.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Looks like a create-a-team logo...

When it comes to SJ, if the shark isn't chomping a stick in half, it's a no-go from me.

$0.02

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The logo(s) remind me of the promotional mascot centric merchandise branding that you get with sports franchises. Can't quite take it seriously. It's good, but it looks too indulgent and not very austere (much like the problem their current logo has imo)

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

One of the things the Sharks have not been afraid to do is adjust is the shade of teal.  I just whipped up this quick graphic of the different shades of teal from the last 25 years.  

0qNgoWb.png

The Sharks seem to be heading from their blue-teal to more along the lines of their Deep Pacific Ocean Teal. The Sharks media guide still actually has the secondary color as burnt orange, with black as a third/trim color. 

The new logo, and the update sharks website before it show that the team seems to be returning focus to the teal and black.  The newest teal from the new secondary logos pairs well with the gray, and the black can work with it, as long as the pattern is right.  

While I've not heard or read anything official,  I'd estimate that these are definitely being tested as permanent secondary marks and will eventually be there full time.  This also seems like the return of Monterey Gray and the phase of orange.  

Also if they were to become full time secondary logos, based on the three, there would either be a new primary logo that is not one of the three secondary or the full shark would make the jump to the primary (something that fans have wanted for a while).  The partial shark is the logo on the Los Tiburones jersey, so I don't think it would make it as a full time primary.  

Personally, I like the new logos, and wouldn't mind something in the arena of these as the primary. The chomping the stick is an iconic staple of the Sharks, and it would be sad to see it go but I would be okay if the wanted to move on from it, since it has lent itself to increasing amount of jokes of the years past.

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-we-learned-the-problem-with-projecting-goalscoring-142643650.html

he shoots HE SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRESSSSSSSS

TWI DOESN'T KNOW WHETHER TO CRY OR WIND HIS WATCH

I'm actually just curious how the Thrashers became the Coyotes in between posts there to fit your prediction, but hey, it seems like it's made you unreasonably happy so good for you. Gold star for finding a two line blurb that kinda sorta relates to your original post. 

Turning back to the adult table, I'll echo that I'm not quite sure the need for these new Sharks logos if they're not replacing one of the many secondarys already in use. At least the poor guy doesn't have that stick stuck in his throat anymore. Nice promotion to give away a Seals shirt. 

12 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

That just looks weird. If they got rid of the S, it would look good. 

13 hours ago, Morgo said:

It's in the this one.  No reason for the bottom of the logo to look that way unless they were, at least, trying to incorporate an 'S.'

ZlBZ110.png

It almost seems more like a crest than anything? It'd be perfect on the front of a jersey. 

14 hours ago, Morgo said:

It's in the this one.  No reason for the bottom of the logo to look that way unless they were, at least, trying to incorporate an 'S.'

ZlBZ110.png

Agreed, but that's Sharks, not San Jose.

And how crazy is it that the Sharks have had three distinct shark logos, all in different styles and all by the same designer?

I don't think any of the logos are good enough to replace the primary, but they should absolutely be brought in as secondaries immediately.  The current, full bodied, Shark can't be replaced soon enough.  Not only does it look awkward but it's far too similar to the primary crest to serve as an appropriate shoulder patch.

JEddFbZ.png

I think the current secondaries compliment the primary, whereas the new ones clash too much to be used in conjunction.  Replace the full set or don't use them at all.

And I still don't like any of the "SJ" logos; I think all teams should be required to have municipal monograms but these are all clunky, awkward and varying degrees of lazy.

10 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

So the Hawks will be wearing this, then:

http://dyn3.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path%5B6%2F7%2F7%2F4%2F6774554%5D%2Csizedata%5B612x500%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Interested to see whether the Blues go with a blue sweater or a white one.

I have a feeling we're going to see another colour v. colour Winter Classic. The Blues logo featured at the unveiling was blue outlined in yellow and white, which is the way it appeared on the blue jersey. The logo on the white was the bluenote outlined in yellow and blue.

As for the Sharks, I agree that they should've had these replace the current logos, or just not used them at all. The team already has too many logos that don't get used on uniforms (standalone fin logo, orange & black shield, full-bodied shark w/ triangle), this just muddles the brand even more, especially since these new sharks are done in a completely different style. That being said, I do prefer these new logos over the current ones, so I wouldn't mind if they made a transition.

Archived