2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

2 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

It could be this, it could be nothing. The Sens are making a "significant hockey announcement" today, so I'm hoping for...

-An outdoor game (unlikely, it's a little too late, don't you think?)

-New uniforms (unlikely, they already gave out their normal sweaters at the draft)

-An anniversary sweater (maybe, but a "significant hockey announcement" sort of derails that)

It's probably...

-A jersey retirement (maybe Alfredsson)

-Announcement of a new member of the coaching staff (extremely likely)

It's definitely not too late to announce an outdoor game, if anything it's too early. The game will likely be played in December of next year. Winnipegs is this October, and they didn't make it official until March. 

The coaching staff is pretty much set, so I don't really think that's a possibility. From what I've read it seems like it's going to be the Alfie number retirement. I've also heard rumblings about an anniversary jersey, or possibly an update on the downtown arena 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

It could be this, it could be nothing. The Sens are making a "significant hockey announcement" today, so I'm hoping for...

-An outdoor game (unlikely, it's a little too late, don't you think?)

-New uniforms (unlikely, they already gave out their normal sweaters at the draft)

-An anniversary sweater (maybe, but a "significant hockey announcement" sort of derails that)

It's probably...

-A jersey retirement (maybe Alfredsson)

We have a winner

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

14 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The only team that may go "full-Adidas" is Las Vegas. The owner has already said that they are working closely with Adidas on the development of their name, logos, uniforms, etc. I could easily see them becoming the NHL's Oregon/Seahawks.

Every team works with Reebok/Adidas on new logos and uniforms. I really don't see them going too far out there, plus I've heard so many "Team XXXX is going to be the new Oregon!!! Just wait and see!!" claims in all sports that don't turn out to be true that it no longer holds any weight. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The big news for Ottawa is they are retiring Alfredsson's number 11.  I'm hoping that they will change their jerseys when they moved to their new arena.  That would be a pretty good time to make the change.

As for Adidas and the 3 stripes; they will end up on the practice jerseys for sure and maybe the all-star jerseys.  Unless it's going to be 3 horizontal stripes on the sleeves and hem, I doubt Las Vegas would have the stripes going down the sides like the World Cup jerseys.  I mean, if CFL teams didn't sell out and go 3 stripes, I can't see NHL teams doing it, not even an expansion team.  Outside of soccer, has any team in any league have the 3 stripes forced on them?

19 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Every team works with Reebok/Adidas on new logos and uniforms. I really don't see them going too far out there, plus I've heard so many "Team XXXX is going to be the new Oregon!!! Just wait and see!!" claims in all sports that don't turn out to be true that it no longer holds any weight. 

The difference here is that Vegas is a brand new team, with no uniform history. It's also a non-tradition hockey market, so most of their fans would me more accepting of an "out there" look. 

19 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The difference here is that Vegas is a brand new team, with no uniform history. It's also a non-tradition hockey market, so most of their fans would me more accepting of an "out there" look. 

Tampa, Raleigh, Phoenix, and South Florida are non-traditional markets and those teams have fairly traditional looks.  Florida might be the most "out there" with the shoulder numbers and sleeve patches, but it's not uber-crazy.  I don't think we'll see 90s craziness, and I don't think we'll see a "Hockey in 2040" look either.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 hours ago, M4One said:

The big news for Ottawa is they are retiring Alfredsson's number 11.  I'm hoping that they will change their jerseys when they moved to their new arena.  That would be a pretty good time to make the change.

The earliest they could move into a new arena, if everything falls into place perfectly (which it never does), would be 2021.  I'd say 2023-2027 is more likely knowing how slowly things work in Ottawa with the 4 levels of bureaucracy one has to go through to get anything done.  The mere fact that the city and the NCC have been trying to re-develop Lebreton Flats since 1965 with absolutely no action says to me that, if it even happens (far from a sure thing), it'll be closer to 2027 or later (even 2030) at least.  Let's be clear, all the Senators got was an opportunity to negotiate with the NCC to develop the property.  They still need to line up the money, the investors, draw up blueprints, get approvals, etc, etc, etc.  It's still going to be a long haul.

All that to say, I sure hope we're not stuck with those uniforms for another 5, 10, or even 15 years before a change happens.

12 hours ago, Webhamster said:

The earliest they could move into a new arena, if everything falls into place perfectly (which it never does), would be 2021.  I'd say 2023-2027 is more likely knowing how slowly things work in Ottawa with the 4 levels of bureaucracy one has to go through to get anything done.  The mere fact that the city and the NCC have been trying to re-develop Lebreton Flats since 1965 with absolutely no action says to me that, if it even happens (far from a sure thing), it'll be closer to 2027 or later (even 2030) at least.  Let's be clear, all the Senators got was an opportunity to negotiate with the NCC to develop the property.  They still need to line up the money, the investors, draw up blueprints, get approvals, etc, etc, etc.  It's still going to be a long haul.

All that to say, I sure hope we're not stuck with those uniforms for another 5, 10, or even 15 years before a change happens.

Didn't realize it would be that long.  Well, if they haven't changed by then, it would be the right time.  But, yeah, they need a change sooner, rather than later.

As it has been said many times over, the switchover is probably just a template change, a cleanup for the Edge templated garbage, and maybe a program of heritage jerseys. A credible source has said that the hems aren't straight, they were just folded up for some reason during the presentation.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

He can say he believes in it himself as an abstract concept while the league does otherwise in reality. Everything he says has an out.

That said, commissioners can influence such things.  It's not a coincidence that the first 21st century ugly MLB uniform came right on the heels of Selig retiring as commissioner.

On 8/16/2016 at 4:01 PM, WSU151 said:

Could a team develop a new logo on their own or come up with their own uniform design (or plan to return to a prior one) and tell reebok/adidas "make this to our specs" or does reebok/adidas have veto power on logos/uniforms?

In theory, NHL teams and Reebok/Adidas are "creative collaborators" when developing a new logo or uniform design. Reebok/Adidas makes a substantial financial investment to secure the official outfitting partner of the NHL designation and therefore makes great efforts to ensure new logos and uniforms are well received by the team fans and are not too difficult to produce (and extend at retail). Recently, Reebok/Adidas hired Eric Bodamer who had previous hockey team outfitting and design experience at NIKE to improve the design quality and style of NHL team jerseys. This positive step is producing better looking NHL team uniforms and identities. 

Something *might* be changing with the numbers for 2017-18. We're ordering our NHL kits for the upcoming season and have been advised to "not order anything for beyond the upcoming season" as "right now things are up in the air". 

Archived