TheGrimReaper

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

On August 12, 2016 at 7:35 PM, WSU151 said:

I doubt it.  Likely just for the WC.  I really can't see an Original 6 jersey with adidas stripes on the sides.

On August 13, 2016 at 8:22 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

Adidas will not be changing or adding stripes to any jerseys. They own Reebok and they will continue to use the same uniform system (if it ain't broke, don't fix it... in their eyes) since Reebok took over. It would make little sense to do a massive uniform overhaul, esopecially after Dallas and Florida have just done one themselves using the current edge system. The only time we will see stripes on jerseys would be on league run events like the all-star game and the upcoming World Cup. (<-- All star game jerseys with stripes is a guess of mine)

9 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

My guess is you'll definitely see them on the practice jerseys, and maybe in the All-Star jerseys. I also wouldn't rule out the AHL being complete idiots and putting them on game jerseys league-wide.

Hope you guys are right.  That would be a huge blow to all the progress made since the league was completely butchered in 2007/08.  What would be great is if the scooped hem-lines were finally jettisoned and all the designs were left otherwise changed.  Sure, teams like Winnipeg, Toronto, and Phoenix would have to straighten their tapered hem stripes but that would hardly be a bad thing.

9 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

My guess is you'll definitely see them on the practice jerseys, and maybe in the All-Star jerseys. I also wouldn't rule out the AHL being complete idiots and putting them on game jerseys league-wide.

The only team that may go "full-Adidas" is Las Vegas. The owner has already said that they are working closely with Adidas on the development of their name, logos, uniforms, etc. I could easily see them becoming the NHL's Oregon/Seahawks.

As for the Sens, it looks like they're going to announce an outdoor game. The biggest question is where. While most of the reports lean towards building a temporary stadium on Parliament Hill, I really hope that they come to their senses and choose TD Place. I understand how cool and Canadian it would be playing under the Peace Tower, but it's just a logistical nightmare. There's no easy way to get 40 000 people in and out of there (the new subway system won't be open by then, and there's very little parking), and I can't imagine a pop-up stadium looking that great. Everyone has been bringing up the U2 show in Montreal a little while back that used a temporary stadium, but what they never seem to mention is that stadium took two months to build, plus another month to take down. Next year is supposed to be the biggest in the city's history, I'd rather not see our biggest landmark be a construction zone for a quarter of it.

TD Place is a gorgeous stadium, it has the world's largest skating rink running behind it, and is on one of the most historical sports sites in the country (home to the oldest building in existence that has hosted the Stanley Cup Finals). Plus, if the game takes place in December they will be able to use the extra seating that's being put in for the Grey Cup. It's a perfect situation, but it seems like the Sens are being petty and refusing to play in a stadium owned by a rival company.

Could they build a temporary stadium in Jacques Cartier Park in Gatineau? Would the Montreal Canadiens send in tanks if the Sens invade Quebec? It's a great view across the water, and it wouldn't be nearly as much in the way. If the game is in December, then they could have it down in time for Winterlude.

view-of-parliament-hill.jpg

It could be this, it could be nothing. The Sens are making a "significant hockey announcement" today, so I'm hoping for...

-An outdoor game (unlikely, it's a little too late, don't you think?)

-New uniforms (unlikely, they already gave out their normal sweaters at the draft)

-An anniversary sweater (maybe, but a "significant hockey announcement" sort of derails that)

It's probably...

-A jersey retirement (maybe Alfredsson)

-Announcement of a new member of the coaching staff (extremely likely)

Eugene Melnyk announcing new dIscounted parking offers (profoundly likely)

2 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

It could be this, it could be nothing. The Sens are making a "significant hockey announcement" today, so I'm hoping for...

-New uniforms (unlikely, they already gave out their normal sweaters at the draft)

-An anniversary sweater (maybe, but a "significant hockey announcement" sort of derails that)

It's probably...

-Announcement of a new member of the coaching staff (extremely likely)

It's definitely not too late to announce an outdoor game, if anything it's too early. The game will likely be played in December of next year. Winnipegs is this October, and they didn't make it official until March. 

The coaching staff is pretty much set, so I don't really think that's a possibility. From what I've read it seems like it's going to be the Alfie number retirement. I've also heard rumblings about an anniversary jersey, or possibly an update on the downtown arena 

8 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

It's probably...

We have a winner

14 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The only team that may go "full-Adidas" is Las Vegas. The owner has already said that they are working closely with Adidas on the development of their name, logos, uniforms, etc. I could easily see them becoming the NHL's Oregon/Seahawks.

Every team works with Reebok/Adidas on new logos and uniforms. I really don't see them going too far out there, plus I've heard so many "Team XXXX is going to be the new Oregon!!! Just wait and see!!" claims in all sports that don't turn out to be true that it no longer holds any weight. 

The big news for Ottawa is they are retiring Alfredsson's number 11.  I'm hoping that they will change their jerseys when they moved to their new arena.  That would be a pretty good time to make the change.

As for Adidas and the 3 stripes; they will end up on the practice jerseys for sure and maybe the all-star jerseys.  Unless it's going to be 3 horizontal stripes on the sleeves and hem, I doubt Las Vegas would have the stripes going down the sides like the World Cup jerseys.  I mean, if CFL teams didn't sell out and go 3 stripes, I can't see NHL teams doing it, not even an expansion team.  Outside of soccer, has any team in any league have the 3 stripes forced on them?

19 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Every team works with Reebok/Adidas on new logos and uniforms. I really don't see them going too far out there, plus I've heard so many "Team XXXX is going to be the new Oregon!!! Just wait and see!!" claims in all sports that don't turn out to be true that it no longer holds any weight. 

The difference here is that Vegas is a brand new team, with no uniform history. It's also a non-tradition hockey market, so most of their fans would me more accepting of an "out there" look. 

19 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The difference here is that Vegas is a brand new team, with no uniform history. It's also a non-tradition hockey market, so most of their fans would me more accepting of an "out there" look. 

Tampa, Raleigh, Phoenix, and South Florida are non-traditional markets and those teams have fairly traditional looks.  Florida might be the most "out there" with the shoulder numbers and sleeve patches, but it's not uber-crazy.  I don't think we'll see 90s craziness, and I don't think we'll see a "Hockey in 2040" look either.

I'm not expecting any "90s craziness" or turn ahead the clock situations. I'm just thinking it'll be something similar to the WCH jerseys (I'm imagining Team NA with gold replacing orange). 

22 hours ago, M4One said:

The big news for Ottawa is they are retiring Alfredsson's number 11.  I'm hoping that they will change their jerseys when they moved to their new arena.  That would be a pretty good time to make the change.

The earliest they could move into a new arena, if everything falls into place perfectly (which it never does), would be 2021.  I'd say 2023-2027 is more likely knowing how slowly things work in Ottawa with the 4 levels of bureaucracy one has to go through to get anything done.  The mere fact that the city and the NCC have been trying to re-develop Lebreton Flats since 1965 with absolutely no action says to me that, if it even happens (far from a sure thing), it'll be closer to 2027 or later (even 2030) at least.  Let's be clear, all the Senators got was an opportunity to negotiate with the NCC to develop the property.  They still need to line up the money, the investors, draw up blueprints, get approvals, etc, etc, etc.  It's still going to be a long haul.

All that to say, I sure hope we're not stuck with those uniforms for another 5, 10, or even 15 years before a change happens.

2 hours ago, mightyduck said:

I can only hope that Gary is telling the truth here...

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 1.59.08 PM.png

Praise the hockey gods!!

12 hours ago, Webhamster said:

The earliest they could move into a new arena, if everything falls into place perfectly (which it never does), would be 2021.  I'd say 2023-2027 is more likely knowing how slowly things work in Ottawa with the 4 levels of bureaucracy one has to go through to get anything done.  The mere fact that the city and the NCC have been trying to re-develop Lebreton Flats since 1965 with absolutely no action says to me that, if it even happens (far from a sure thing), it'll be closer to 2027 or later (even 2030) at least.  Let's be clear, all the Senators got was an opportunity to negotiate with the NCC to develop the property.  They still need to line up the money, the investors, draw up blueprints, get approvals, etc, etc, etc.  It's still going to be a long haul.

All that to say, I sure hope we're not stuck with those uniforms for another 5, 10, or even 15 years before a change happens.

Didn't realize it would be that long.  Well, if they haven't changed by then, it would be the right time.  But, yeah, they need a change sooner, rather than later.

As it has been said many times over, the switchover is probably just a template change, a cleanup for the Edge templated garbage, and maybe a program of heritage jerseys. A credible source has said that the hems aren't straight, they were just folded up for some reason during the presentation.

18 hours ago, mightyduck said:

I can only hope that Gary is telling the truth here...

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 1.59.08 PM.png

I still don't like the guy, but this is a brilliant move if true...

He can say he believes in it himself as an abstract concept while the league does otherwise in reality. Everything he says has an out.