2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

As soon a Pittsburgh gets rid of the Vegas gold, Philly goes dumpster diving through our trash to use it.

Using it just as trim interests me. Isn't there a rule that you have to use third jerseys for two seasons? With how many dates its being used, I don't think it qualifies as a specialty one-off. If so, could they change the numbers and nameplates next year, dropping the patch and making it look like a normal Flyers jersey? The one sticking point is the logo...it's outlined in gold. That's not an added piece. So if they're forced to keep the jersey around, will that gold outline on the logo have to stick around, too?

I don't mind it all, even the gold. It's a solid jersey aesthetically. My big question is why a white jersey? It complicates everyone's road trips, it takes you out of your main color, and they usually sell way fewer white jerseys overall. It seems like a strange decision to me.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

If this jersey was traditional Flyers style posters would complain about the lack of creativeness.   

If this jersey was super creative and had a wacky striping pattern, posters would complain it's not Philly...

Basically find anything to complain about...

a valid critique =/= complaint 

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Are the rest of the Expansion Six observing their 50th anniversaries? I could go for some Minnesota North Stars and Oakland Seals one-offs.

Pittsburgh, St. Louis and LA are, but the North Stars and Seals never made it to 50 years of age. I've heard nothing about Dallas ever being interested in a North Stars throwback, it would make more sense if the Wild to do so. The Blues will have a special winter classic jersey, but don't know if St. Louis or LA will have a special 50th anniversary jersey.

50 minutes ago, Morgo said:

An Icethetics article on the Panther's re-design is hinting that third jerseys may be disappearing for 2017/18 season... Perhaps there is more to this Adidas deal than simply transferring the RBK 'Edge" designs over.  Hope not.

If this happens I bet teams like the Avalanche, Flames, and Senators would take their current alternates, make matching white jerseys based on them, and use them as their home/away. Finally phase out the last of the orignal edge templates. Can't even believe they are still in use.

Also hopefully the adidas templates don't allow for piping. Thus getting rid of the aprons stripes on the Preds jerseys and the random piping on the Sabres. would immediately improve each look.

1 hour ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

Pittsburgh, St. Louis and LA are, but the North Stars and Seals never made it to 50 years of age. 

Technically the Stars and to a lesser extent, the Sharks (by way of the Seals, Barons, and part of the North Stars) are the continuations of those franchises, although I can see how that might be kind of a stretch especially since they havent been in their current respective cities for 50 years. 

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

Anyone else think the gold numbers are the best part?  If they thinned or eliminated the gold outline around the crest they'd have something really solid and arguably better than their current alternate.

I agree, it's the only part of the uniform that signifies that this is an anniversary jersey. I don't understand how people can say that it's ripping off the Penguins, especially since the 50th patch was released months ago and features gold prominently. You'd think after the last NFL season that everyone would realize that 50 = gold.

The rest of the uniform is completely uninspired. If you got rid of the logos, the generic template could easily be confused for an '80s ASG jersey. Strangely enough, the only element of their regular jerseys that made it to this one is the worst element. Contrasting nameplates are already bad enough, now they add an unnecessary outline to the names too.  

2 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

Pittsburgh, St. Louis and LA are, but the North Stars and Seals never made it to 50 years of age. I've heard nothing about Dallas ever being interested in a North Stars throwback, it would make more sense if the Wild to do so. The Blues will have a special winter classic jersey, but don't know if St. Louis or LA will have a special 50th anniversary jersey.

The Kings will. They'll be unveiling it at their Meet the Players event September 20th and it will be worn for every Saturday home game. The first 5 times are designated as Heritage Nights, but the next 3 are Legends Nights so they'll be wearing their gold throwbacks. Max number of times that they would wear it then would be 11. 

From what I've heard, it will be a gray jersey.

1 hour ago, elliott said:

If this happens I bet teams like the Avalanche, Flames, and Senators would take their current alternates, make matching white jerseys based on them, and use them as their home/away. Finally phase out the last of the orignal edge templates. Can't even believe they are still in use.

Also hopefully the adidas templates don't allow for piping. Thus getting rid of the aprons stripes on the Preds jerseys and the random piping on the Sabres. would immediately improve each look.

I wouldn't want to see Calgary go with a script full time, nor the Avalanche drop their cup winning logo.  That being said, if Calgary put their primary logo on the alternate, they'd have something really solid.

+ 1 on hoping it marks the end of piping.  I can't think of one example where it looked good.

Archived