2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

Ugh, this team is incompetent.  The Alternate was the best looking uniform of the bunch and the closest they've come to matching their best look (2004-07).  Bringing back the retro would be great news if it replaced the hideous Red's with the 'clash patch.'  At this point I don't even care if the main set matches, the elimination of just one of those eyesores would be cause for jubilation.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Ugh, this team is incompetent.  The Alternate was the best looking uniform of the bunch and the closest they've come to matching their best look (2004-07).  Bringing back the retro would be great news if it replaced the hideous Red's with the 'clash patch.'  At this point I don't even care if the main set matches, the elimination of just one of those eyesores would be cause for jubilation.

Think they'll go retro with Adidas's debut next year? Not enough time for that?

I, too, liked the now-former thirds...only thing was if i turned on NHL Network, sometimes i thought it was the Devils playing...That was the only mild critique. Nice-looking unis, they were.

Florida Panthers:  The feet never looked like on the old one, IMHO, and look even strange on the new one.  Other than that, the only thing I see as a downgrade are the clarity of the eyes.  The rest is a BIG upgrade.

I remember when the team name was announced, I thought they had a lot of potential for a really cool logo.  But there was so much going on with the old one, visually it was way too busy...a sensory overload and just a hot mess,  and the head looked like the poor cat was wearing a strange helmet. 

9 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Also, am I the only one who loved this logo?

98-02-primary-logo.gif

Absolutely not. That's quite possibly the best logo they've ever had.

I understand why they updated their brand (black and purple worked better in the early 2000s). But there's no way the pencil point/home plate logo is by any means a superior design to this.

50 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Absolutely not. That's quite possibly the best logo they've ever had.

I understand why they updated their brand (black and purple worked better in the early 2000s). But there's no way the pencil point/home plate logo is by any means a superior design to this.

I too miss this logo.  The early 90's look, in my mind, is the quintessential Kings look.  (Willing to admit that's when I got into hockey so I am biased towards it.) I was bummed when they made the switch, but now after some time, I love the Purple/Black crest logo and the matching jerseys.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

53 minutes ago, joekono said:

Amen. As said before by many, it's a real shame they raised the two cups in that jersey. The large crown would be so much better.

Come to think of it, they came this close to raising the Cup in the black and purple. They made the switch in 2011-12, the same year they won their first Cup.

That awesome shield logo and the matching crown logo could have became championship material, if for some reason the team would have decided to push back the new look a year or so, for whatever reason. What to do, if black and purple were the championship colors??

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm sure a couple people will mess the "western-inspired" alternate, but this is great news, and surely means they'll be going back to a simpler design full-time.

I'm one of those couple. I liked the striping and color balance, the shoulder patch was fantastic, and the name/number font was loads better that what they wear now, wonky "5" and all. The script on the front was a bit of a misfire, but replacing it with the Flaming C and making a matching white jersey would have been an excellent primary set.

The retro set is fine (the white jersey's a lot better), but as you yourself have said, it needs a little black in there for balance to make it really good. Plus, if they bring it back full-time, you know Burke's gonna slap the flags on the shoulders.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

For the Kings black and purple era, the crown logo was better than the shield for the primary. The shield was a bit too clunky. I do like their grey 50th anniversary alts and hopefully they go to those as a full-time alt without the gold trimming after this season.

I'm torn on the Flames. I'm very happy they're going with the 80's throwbacks full-time as an alternate, but I also loved their 2004-07 home set. If they ever get the sense to finally ditch their Edge set I think I'd rather them go back to their pre-Edge set and keep the throwbacks as the alt, but at the same time the throwbacks would be a good set in their own right.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

All that set needs is thin black between any instance of yellow and white and it would have all the color separation it needs. The 2004 uniforms were cool at the time but the Flames should have gone back to basics eventually.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I honestly love where the Kings' identity is at right now. Sure, I could tweak the logos, but I think it's great in the big picture. They have their "battle dress" that is sort of plain and they wear every day, and then they have their whimsical throwbacks for special occasions.

Swiss soldiers:

e0d859371ef453aa8820e84ad0387db9dd4caf8e

Also Swiss soldiers:

o-SWISS-GUARDS-570.jpg?1

The throwbacks don't feel to me like they would be a great full-time look, but I love seeing them once in a while.

9 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I have to say it, and I know this might go in unpopular opinions.

Take the retro, replace the white C with the back, add some black trim, and I think you have a winner.

This could work.

I'm fine with going retro full time and then the 04-07 jersey as the third or vice versa.

Archived