2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

22 hours ago, Bmac said:

Man, the crown logo in black and silver with a shimmering gold outline would have looked stunning. Missed opportunity.

Or how about this. A GOLD CROWN!

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/gold-crown-21407166.jpg

Just for that one year uniform, they should have taken their crown logo and recolored it Gold. That would have been pretty cool.

The Catch of the Day!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the Flames. They are essentially going back to their uniform set from 2009-2013. I don't understand why they swapped out the throwback for a new third only to swap out the new third for the throwback a few years later? It doesn't make sense.

Not that I mind since I don't like that Wal-Mart third jersey but why go back to those garish bright red and yellow uniforms that makes me put on sunglasses whenever I see them?

Now if they darkened the red and yellow somewhat to make them less Ronald McDonaldish sure. But it doesn't seem like that will be the case.

https://s.thestreet.com/files/tsc/v2008/photos/all-pics/misc/m-z/ronaldmcdonald-front-lead.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

3 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

About the Flames. They are essentially going back to their uniform set from 2009-2013. I don't understand why they swapped out the throwback for a new third only to swap out the new third for the throwback a few years later? It doesn't make sense.

Nothing the Flames do uniform-wise makes sense.  The alternate that replaced the throwbacks lasted a whopping 3 seasons.  Sure glad I bought one :rolleyes:

Not that I mind since I don't like that Wal-Mart third jersey but why go back to those garish bright red and yellow uniforms that makes me put on sunglasses whenever I see them?  Now if they darkened the red and yellow somewhat to make them less Ronald McDonaldish sure. But it doesn't seem like that will be the case.

It's fine as an alternate but the lack of contrast is borderline garish.  Which is precisely why adding black resulted in such an improved look.  One of the rare cases where BFBS actually worked effectively.

You know, I wasn't really a fan before, but posting it a third time really clinched it for me (Will that get you to stop now? Please?).

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

6 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Looks like the NHL took control of the team sites and changed them over to the new template...  Not sure I like it.

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/

I noticed that also, i think its an upgrade, it was beginning to look outdated. Although i'm not sure they should all be using the same template.

On 2016-09-21 at 9:22 AM, NeverSayNever said:

Speaking of Kings teams that sucked, how about your NBA neighbors to the north, the Sacramento Kings? The KC-Omaha/KC Sacramento Kings were not exactly a dynasty... but that didn't stop them from looking back to look forward... 

It's not like the original purple and black look was tied to a NBA Championship though. The Sacramento Kings have, historically, struggled. In many ways they're still trying to find their visual identity. The LA Kings, on the other hand, have found theirs. Thanks to two Stanley Cups.

Championships don't always amount to branding your team in the same uniform for eternity nor selecting a drab lifeless look over and over to make yourself look "badass"... It's simply bad branding...

No, bad branding is not looking like yourselves. The Kings hoisted two Cups in black and silver. I really don't care if they chose it to ride the Raiders' coat tails, or if they think it makes them look "badass." I care that it's the look associated with the greatest amount of success the team's ever seen. And in the modern era? Winning a championship is often the time a team has its greatest amount of exposure. It's the image seared into the minds of sports fans. It pays to cash in on that by keeping the look relatively unchanged. That's just good branding.

The Kings purple and yellow are a beloved look as are the Whalers, Nordiques, North Stars, teams with NO championships but perennial throwback top sellers because their look is very cool... 

Terrible analogies. The Whalers, Nords, and North Stars all left. Fans who love those looks love them because those looks were there when the teams left (or close to it, in the North Stars' case). None of those teams won Stanley Cups in those looks either.

If the LA Kings had moved while wearing gold and purple? Then yeah, the gold and purple look would be beloved, and would probably return in some form if LA proper ever got another NHL team.

Another thing to consider is the Winnipeg Jets. The original team never won the Stanley Cup before leaving. When Winnipeg got a new team that adopted the Jets name they went with an entirely new look that was, more or less, fully embraced by the fans. I would guess that had the original Jets won a Cup or two in any of their uniforms sets? Then that look would have become THE definitive Winnipeg Jets look and would have been worn by the new Jets.

The fact that no Winnipeg Jets Cup win occurred made abandoning the old looks entirely that much easier.

8 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Not that I mind since I don't like that Wal-Mart third jersey but why go back to those garish bright red and yellow uniforms that makes me put on sunglasses whenever I see them?

Now if they darkened the red and yellow somewhat to make them less Ronald McDonaldish sure. But it doesn't seem like that will be the case.

https://s.thestreet.com/files/tsc/v2008/photos/all-pics/misc/m-z/ronaldmcdonald-front-lead.jpg

Great move by the Flames to go back to their retros. Better yet, I hope they eventually become full-time. Enough with the generic red and black. They would only look gaudy if yellow were the primary light colour as shown by Ronald McDonald's outfit with red being the primary dark colour. 

The one change I would make is have the Flames and Canadiens switch reds. Montreal needs to go back to their classic "lighter" red and having Calgary go with a slightly deeper red without adding any black would make the most sense. 

Meh all the NHL team websites look like a spin off of a twitter page. Not a fan.

back in the late 90's, I used to enjoy going to each teams site because they were different from one another and I appreciated their designs. Now it's a cookie cutter league formality. very Meh....

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

5 hours ago, NeverSayNever said:

This works great... w/o any need for black. Sure it's bright but on a a bright white rink the colors are ridiculously vivid. The "it needs black" is a design crutch when no more creative solution is proposed. This is stunning.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 2.21.16 PM.png

This doesn't work at all.  Why would you replace one of the league's best logos with that jumbled mess

Archived