2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

I can tell these new NHL team sites are all developed by MLB Advanced Media. They have all the hallmarks of MLBAM sites, and are practically identical in design to MLB team sites (and other MLBAM-developed sites).

MLBAM is really doing some amazing things (largely without much attention from the public), and is probably the best asset Major League Baseball has, but I really wish they wouldn't use the same cookie-cutter design for everything.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, worcat said:

Meh all the NHL team websites look like a spin off of a twitter page. Not a fan.

back in the late 90's, I used to enjoy going to each teams site because they were different from one another and I appreciated their designs. Now it's a cookie cutter league formality. very Meh....

ever tried clicking on a news headline on mlb.com ? The longests blog page in internet history opens, even with fast internet it´s hell on earth to scroll. I only wanted to read one story, why did you have to open 500 other stories on me !?

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Wasn't every team already under one template given by the NHL?  I swear this happened five years ago or more; teams' unique websites have been dead for a long time.

There were some variations as to what heading certain things fell under, but yes, they had the same template, before. They just looked a tad less cookie-cutter due to how each team dressed it up.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

21 hours ago, insert name said:

Get rid of LOS ANGELES on the bottom and this is their best designed jersey IMO. I would like this to return.

72473757.jpg

I liked the second generation of those uniforms. The shield is a natural secondary logo, but can't carry the weight as a primary. The Crown can handle it. 

Also, they were right to stop wearing purple socks with the black jerseys. Never liked how that looked. 

P200903S.jpgrobitaille20.gif

and the purple jerseys were just weird with that goofy collar. I didn't grieve when those went away. 

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133ed72c349970b-pi

PvO6ZWJ.png

RIP Purple....

Now's your chance, Vegas !  You could certainly tie in purple to the black/gold/white/ silver the owner wants... ohhhhhh well.

PS - i think those yellow/purple Kings jerseys that people have referenced prior will only be worn 1 (one) time this year...on Opening Night. Maybe they are phasing out the whole gimmick slowly. 

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I liked the second generation of those uniforms. The shield is a natural secondary logo, but can't carry the weight as a primary. The Crown can handle it. 

robitaille20.gif

Agree 100%.  If they removed the 'Los Angeles' from the hem stripe they'd be just about flawless.  It's unfortunate the 'Edge' version of this look was so underwhelming.  They inexplicably removed the hem stripes and kept the script.  Had they done a better job, it's very likely the King's two championships happen in these colours.

FWIW I thought having "Los Angeles"on the hem was really cool and unique. Then again, I liked the "Atalanta" on the sleeve the Thrashers once had, and most people seemed to hate that sweater.

EDIT: I mean the pre-edge version with the hem stripe. The edge version did kind of suck.

koval_55__55191.1322177092.410.350.jpg?c

oBIgzrL.png

8 hours ago, NeverSayNever said:

I love how some posts that pertain to key promotional information for multimillion dollar teams start with the words... "I think..."

It's like the famous Mr. Hand clip from FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMOT HIGH  "I don't know..." 

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 9.54.43 AM.png

People are going to have different opinions, just because they don't have direct stake in the multi million dollar team doesn't mean they can't have an opinion about them.

3 hours ago, maz said:

FWIW I thought having "Los Angeles"on the hem was really cool and unique. Then again, I liked the "Atalanta" on the sleeve the Thrashers once had, and most people seemed to hate that sweater.

EDIT: I mean the pre-edge version with the hem stripe. The edge version did kind of suck.

koval_55__55191.1322177092.410.350.jpg?c

I think it's beautiful. It's unique, it's perfectly comtemporary for a comtemporary hockey market, and Atlanta made this their thing. Problem is that no one cared enough to keep hockey in Atlanta.

I too also think the edge version sucked.

Terrible analogies. The Whalers, Nords, and North Stars all left. Fans who love those looks love them because those looks were there when the teams left (or close to it, in the North Stars' case). None of those teams won Stanley Cups in those looks either.

If the LA Kings had moved while wearing gold and purple? Then yeah, the gold and purple look would be beloved, and would probably return in some form if LA proper ever got another NHL team.

Get a clue. These are actually spot on analogies. I live in Chicago and I see Whalers, Nords even the hated North Stars products all over often on kids who were not even alive when these teams played. They could care less these teams left those markets... They're buying  those products because they have cool colors and iconic logos ---they like the designs!!! Jesus.

Do you really think NHL.com, Old Time Hockey, Mitchell & Ness, etc. would produce thousands of dollars of throwback product inventory because of the heartbroken Whalers, Nords and Stars fans who keep buying those items to keep those memories alive? Are you kidding? Take a
business class --- then post.

The Kings current identity is flat out drab. They can win another 10 Cups and their current identity would still be dull, lifeless practicewear looking crap.

It's a respect factor when you see fans wearing those respective logos. They aren't people wearing them trying to look cool or trendy. It's seeing a real fan wearing a 20 year old hat that has seen years of wear and tear or a little kid wearing his parents original shirt. That's when it goes to a whole other level of awesome!

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived