2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Hey, I'm not too keen on the '90's either. I don't like how dependent on black many of the teams became, when there were more colorful alternatives.

Avalanche - garnet/powder blue and a less cartoony logo would've suited them very well. If the Nordiques had stuck around, I'd have advocated for a double-blue color scheme and a better logo than that igloo (like this concept). It has complex striping, but it fills traditional striping areas in a way that might make you happy. "Simple" is too limiting at times. 

Ducks - purple/teal/silver, dark green/orange/light green, or even purple/yellow are all better looks that what they came up with in either the original or current brand.

Sharks - teal should have been the dark color, paired with a light cool color and silver.

The Capitals, Oilers, Sabres, and Canucks have thankfully eschewed their '90's colors schemes. I hope the Flames can follow in this example, and that the Avs/Ducks/Sharks also do something to eliminate the black in their color schemes. Heck, I kind of wish the Dallas Stars wore kelly green/yellow. I just want you to realize that I'm not all gung-ho about 1990's looks either. I like variety of color and simplicity too, but I also like both patterned and diagonal stripes and the occasional "dark" color scheme. There can be a nice balance of both.

Fair enough. 

11 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I just noticed the all red socks. No stripes. So are they really gonna go with plain white socks for the road too??

I think that's probably just for training camp. They just wear practice gear, and instead of a practice jersey, the just throw on the game jersey for the Scrimmages. I know that, in at least promotional photos, and when they unveiled the jerseys, they had HUGE sock stripes...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

how

10 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

Supposedly it's the first time in Flyers franchise history they've only had one logo at center ice

How would it look if the faceoff dot at center ice was the middle of the puck in the flyer logo ? whole logo would be off center, but would it look good ?

12 minutes ago, Thomas said:

how

How would it look if the faceoff dot at center ice was the middle of the puck in the flyer logo ? whole logo would be off center, but would it look good ?

That sets my OCD on edge, just thinking about it.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, FGM13 said:

Judging from the early reaction on social media, I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers pull a NO Pelicans and redesign the suit to make it less terrifying. 

I'm disappointed that they went with a lynx though. The league already has enough cat mascots (Florida, LA, Ottawa, Buffalo, Nashville). I would've rather seen them go with a bighorn sheep (the provincial mammal), or maybe a great horned owl (the provincial bird). 

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

The backlash reminds me of this

ca-u-boomer.jpg?__scale=w:660,h:427,t:1,

Who was ridiculed out of existence after less than a week. 

"Shhhh...we do not speak of Boomer."

-the Blue Jackets fans

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I thought much of the response to Boomer was immature and they shouldn't have canned him so quickly.

"LOL dur it looks like a penis!!!111!LOLOFLROFL"

In hindsight an inflatable cannon mascot was a bad idea, but the actual execution of the costume wasn't that bad. His face is much friendlier than Edmonton's "Gary the No Trash Cougar" up there and he could wiggle his mustache.

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I thought much of the response to Boomer was immature and they shouldn't have canned him so quickly.

"LOL dur it looks like a penis!!!111!LOLOFLROFL"

In hindsight an inflatable cannon mascot was a bad idea, but the actual execution of the costume wasn't that bad. His face is much friendlier than Edmonton's "Gary the No Trash Cougar" up there and he could wiggle his mustache.

"Give a larbage! Throw out your garbage!"

I don't think I have ever liked any one of an NHL team's mascot. They don't belong in hockey.

At a media event during training camp a few days ago Cyril Leeder, the president of the Senators, gave this information

Sens are staying with same colours and logos next year with Adidas... but they'll have a different style. Take what you can from that*

So whatever that means. 

*from twitter, not the direct quote from Leeder

5 minutes ago, TorinK92 said:

At a media event during training camp a few days ago Cyril Leeder, the president of the Senators, gave this information

Sens are staying with same colours and logos next year with Adidas... but they'll have a different style. Take what you can from that*

So whatever that means. 

*from twitter, not the direct quote from Leeder

update to new cut and fill adidas template

I wouldn't expect any drastic changes. Probably just adapting to the new style.

After seeing the WCH templates, I'm worried that even if they don't use the 3 stripes on the side panels the chest stripe on the 3rd jersey is going to get cut off. Finland is an example of what I'm worried about.

cut.jpg

Also, Leeder mentioned that with the team updating the banners, they decided to no longer display the division title banners. That makes sense though, downplay the modern franchise's achievements but continue to emphasize Stanley Cups won a century ago by a different franchise :rolleyes:.

One of the smaller changes that I'd be okay with is changing the striping to a large black and white stripe on the cuffs and adding similar hem stripes (in a style similar of St. Louis) 

It would keep the same idea as the current sweaters, but without the templated mess and would be easily adapted to any jersey template.

Ideally the rounded numbers would also be out the door. 

Edit: This is the sort of idea I had in mind (credit: Jacob Barrette)

Seven.jpegSix.jpeg

As opposed to this:

ff_2095959_xl.jpg&w=245458073416.jpg

Archived